Will we ever get Reason on Android?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Neko the Jaguar

22 Jul 2015

I know its available for ipad, but is anything in the pipeline for Android devices? I don't really care for the apple line, so buying one is not an option. I know of Caustic and Supreme, but I would like a version of Reason for Android.

Raveshaper

22 Jul 2015

I personally think this is unlikely or will become available at a much later date than what would seem to make more sense.

I say this because much of the uphill battle with Reason appears to have been the difficulty in surmounting the publicly held perception and/or belief that it is not "serious" or "professional". From the standpoint of the need to counteract that perception, it makes perfect sense to focus on Apple as the hardware platform of choice to accrue a greater sense of seriousness and professionalism for Propellerhead products. Most "serious" and "professional" DAWs and packages tend to be run on Apple hardware in pro studios, so this hypothesized increase in reputation would occur purely by association.

Once Discover and the iOS biosphere have boosted not only the user base of PH products but also the exclusive culture they have built around the brand they call "The Loop", we may see an Android release sometime after those milestones. However, Android app updates seem to occur more often than those on iOS. I may be wrong about that. If I'm not, then this could be a strong deterrent for development on those devices; it would eat into important development in other areas.

These are just my thoughts. The truth may differ.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Neko the Jaguar

22 Jul 2015

Is the apple platform actually that much better for music work? I didn't like my previous experience with apple when my ipod broke, so I never really wanted to go back. After sending them the defective product, they sent me a new one, and it broke again. I sent it in again, and they insisted nothing was wrong with, even after I spent 60 bucks for their apple care plan or whatever it was. Since then, I have been not too keen in purchasing their products. But I have been wanting something portable for when I'm at work during downtime.

Raveshaper

22 Jul 2015

The decision behind purchasing Apple instead of PC for a lot of professionals is simply that they want to increase their efficiency in terms of time spent on their productive and creative work. The PC world is still very much like building, driving, and maintaining a hot rod. You have a broad range of choice when it comes to parts you select to go into your build, as well as a broad range of software you can run on it. But getting things like MIDI to function smoothly on PC sometimes requires up to three programs running because there is no natively built-in MIDI functions at the hardware level that can accomplish things like multi channel routing. PC is all DIY all the time. Mac sacrifices much of the DIY for "it just works" and plug-n-play.

Raveshaper

22 Jul 2015

I have a MacBook Pro and even with light use here and there compared to how often I use my PC tower, I was impressed with how much faster it was and how less frustrating it was to work on it. And that was my response even though I was using a trackpad and an unfamiliar chicklet style keyboard that my hands had to get used to, instead of the G9x weighted mouse and mechanical keyboard on my PC setup.

Neko the Jaguar

22 Jul 2015

If I was going to buy a Mac desktop, what would be a good choice? Or, is there much of a difference between a lap top and desktop? Besides the portability, what advantages would a laptop have?

Raveshaper

22 Jul 2015

If you buy a laptop you can produce with it while you're on the road. Desktop is more for in the studio. Also, unless you want to spend a bunch of cash on the new mac pro, do some research on the previous generation that comes in the big square case.

Do not buy an iMac, they are basically a large monitor that contains the same internals as a macbook.

Aside from portability, a macbook has hardware dedicated to MIDI and the audio circuitry is superior to onboard sound in PCs. Even in headphones I can hear more details on my macbook than on my pc using the same audio as a comparison. We're talking "things I literally couldn't hear before and never knew were there" kind of clarity.

The best investment depends on price range. MD104LL/A is the best generation to get for gigging because the unibody design is easily twice as thick and rugged as the retina models. It stands up to more wear and tear. You'll want to go to OWC and add a data doubler, two after market SSDs (Samsung recommended), and a 16GB ram kit. If you can find the model in stock condition without upgrades, that's best. Anti-glare screen is even better but most rare.

If you buy the newer versions, the late 2012 is the last model retina to have a serviceable SSD that uses a standard SATA interface. It also is not as fast as the most current macbook pros. The best investment in a retina model would be to max out the current available configuration and get the top of the current gen.

The only item I have ever heard people complain about consistently is the iPod. I think it's a matter of a cheaper device that is more relatable to more people and can be sold in larger quantities to aggressively drive profit. Or something.

Faastwalker

22 Jul 2015

We need to gt it on iOS first, or at least a cut down Reason Lite that can create Reason files that can be opened in Reason.

eusti

22 Jul 2015

joeyluck wrote:Reason? Do you mean Propellerhead? Reason is not on iPad.
I was thinking the same thing.

D.

selig
RE Developer

22 Jul 2015

QwaizanG wrote: Do not buy an iMac, they are basically a large monitor that contains the same internals as a macbook.

Aside from portability, a macbook has hardware dedicated to MIDI and the audio circuitry is superior to onboard sound in PCs. Even in headphones I can hear more details on my macbook than on my pc using the same audio as a comparison. We're talking "things I literally couldn't hear before and never knew were there" kind of clarity.
The iMacs have a quad core i7 while the MacBooks only have dual core. Many folks won't want to work solely on a 13" monitor, so factor in the cost of an external monitor for when working at home if you are similarly inclined.

I'm not aware of any Mac that has hardware dedicated to MIDI - am I missing something?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Emerton

22 Jul 2015

Neko the Jaguar wrote:I know its available for ipad, but is anything in the pipeline for Android devices? I don't really care for the apple line, so buying one is not an option. I know of Caustic and Supreme, but I would like a version of Reason for Android.
Do you mean Rebirth, or Figure or Take? Reason isn't available for iPad.

eusti

22 Jul 2015

selig wrote: I'm not aware of any Mac that has hardware dedicated to MIDI - am I missing something?

;)

D.

Pepin

22 Jul 2015

selig wrote:
QwaizanG wrote: Do not buy an iMac, they are basically a large monitor that contains the same internals as a macbook.

The iMacs have a quad core i7 while the MacBooks only have dual core. Many folks won't want to work solely on a 13" monitor, so factor in the cost of an external monitor for when working at home if you are similarly inclined.

I'm not aware of any Mac that has hardware dedicated to MIDI - am I missing something?
The 15-inch MacBook Pro has a quad core i7.

selig
RE Developer

22 Jul 2015

Pepin wrote:
selig wrote:

The 15-inch MacBook Pro has a quad core i7.
OK, that's embarrassing - I stand corrected!

It's still not going to be as fast as the iMac, and I've never felt the laptops I've worked with have had anything near the real world power of the iMacs (and are typically a bit more expensive). I'm a sucker for a big screen though, currently working on the top of the line retina 27" iMac with a 4 GHz processor! and high end video card (sorry to gloat)! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Neko the Jaguar

22 Jul 2015

Emerton wrote:
Neko the Jaguar wrote:I know its available for ipad, but is anything in the pipeline for Android devices? I don't really care for the apple line, so buying one is not an option. I know of Caustic and Supreme, but I would like a version of Reason for Android.
To clarify, I meant PH products.

EnochLight

22 Jul 2015

7 minute 15 second mark:

https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2015/KEY02

If it's happening (eventually) for Windows Phone, I'm betting you'll see their mobile apps for Android someday.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Gaja

22 Jul 2015

EnochLight wrote:7 minute 15 second mark:

https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2015/KEY02

If it's happening (eventually) for Windows Phone, I'm betting you'll see their mobile apps for Android someday.
I agree.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

freeQlow

22 Jul 2015

This became a Mac Lovers Dream Post.

Anybody reading debating PC or Mac purchase, make sure you get a quad core.
If you're buying just for reason i5 is a good start but always try to get the faster Processing speed.
If you got credit or big money, sure buy a Mac.

If you've never used Mac, aren't too tech Savy, used Alienware "Gaming" towers are a good start.
I see windows 7 64bit i5 3rd gen 16GB ram, SSD, 750watt, usb3, dvi/hdmi/display port towers on ebay all the time from $400-$600
the i7 $500-$900
newest i7, xeon Alienware towers used/new $900-$2000

you do not need a $1400 PC or Mac, this is 2015 not 2005

Just my opinion.

freeQlow

22 Jul 2015

This argument is no different than
Elektron vs. Dave Smith
Star Wars vs. Star Trek
Ford vs. Chevy
Red vs. Blue
Technic 1200 vs. Everything Else

If you are new, working on your dj laptop, dell or work pc, chances are you'll have a couple combinators open and crash.

You want a Mac or PC almost entirely for music/beat production.
It will happen if you're not fully optimized with all background gibberish turned off.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

23 Jul 2015

Emerton wrote:
Don't forget there is Thor for iPad..

Yonatan

23 Jul 2015

Windows will come before Android. Maybe PH port to Android too but may take a while I guess. They believe in iOS and Windows and will support them first, so I guess they will not give extra time to Android any time soon. But who knows, there+s a huge user base there if only solving the latncy issue.

wishinghand

07 Aug 2015

Neko the Jaguar wrote:Is the apple platform actually that much better for music work?

In terms of desktops/laptops, no. But for mobile devices like phones and tablets, yes. Android is currently spending some time/resources in getting their response time better for music related things, but there is too much latency for anything live. If it's a sequenced thing you make and export, it's ok. However I don't have my ear to the ground as often as I once did about Android things so I could be wrong and they're finally on par.

tronam

07 Aug 2015

QwaizanG wrote:The decision behind purchasing Apple instead of PC for a lot of professionals is simply that they want to increase their efficiency in terms of time spent on their productive and creative work. The PC world is still very much like building, driving, and maintaining a hot rod. You have a broad range of choice when it comes to parts you select to go into your build, as well as a broad range of software you can run on it. But getting things like MIDI to function smoothly on PC sometimes requires up to three programs running because there is no natively built-in MIDI functions at the hardware level that can accomplish things like multi channel routing. PC is all DIY all the time. Mac sacrifices much of the DIY for "it just works" and plug-n-play.
This nicely summarizes why, after over 15 years of custom PCs, I eventually switched over to the Mac and it was the biggest boost to my creative/productive output in years. The likelihood of me ever going back is slim to none. The amount of money I thought I was saving was negligible in the long run because I also upgraded a lot more frequently back then; an endlessly cyclical time and money sink. I like that the upfront cost of Mac computers are higher; It helps deter me from getting sucked into a continual upgrade mentality. There was a time when I often thought my computer/DAW/plugins/samples/etc... were holding me back, but now I remind myself that this is usually just my subconscious making excuses for my procrastination when I'm not focusing on my creative projects.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

• Information