How do you use Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
IAMGOD

27 Jul 2015

I start all of my songs in Maschine where I have access to Omnisphere, Komplete 10 and 3 hard drives of loops other VST's and sounds.
Once Im done then I port all of the tracks over to Reason to record vocals, added effects, mixing and final mastering.

My workflow is fast in Maschine but I love the SSL mixer in reason and the RE's that I can use for effects in Reason
Does anyone else use other DAWS along with Reason?
Follow me on Instagram: Mr_Relevant
And live vicariously through me.

EnochLight

27 Jul 2015

IAMGOD wrote:I start all of my songs in Maschine where I have access to Omnisphere, Komplete 10 and 3 hard drives of loops other VST's and sounds.
Once Im done then I port all of the tracks over to Reason to record vocals, added effects, mixing and final mastering.

My workflow is fast in Maschine but I love the SSL mixer in reason and the RE's that I can use for effects in Reason
Does anyone else use other DAWS along with Reason?
I use Studio One and Reason for my VST's (namely Spire, Serum, Permut8, and Micontonic). But I usually start my stuff in Reason, ReWire to Studio One to add some other stuff, then export anything done in Studio One to stems and open them up in Reason to continue working. I record all vocals in Reason and prefer working in Reason's sequencer.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

raymondh

27 Jul 2015

I used to use other DAWs, but find now Reason to be most creative from the get-go.

I've recently stopped using Reason for final mastering, now moved to using Ozone 6 for this.

I currently use Audacity for audio mangling, but I'm going to try using Reason more to do all audio manipulation (we will see!).

Tincture

27 Jul 2015

I only use Reason.

I hook up the Redrum Outs to the Kong Ins to use its lovely sequencer...
I use the great sequencer piano roll to play and adapt my basslines...
I often hook up AutoArp (RIP) RE to play my arpeggios
I quite often use CV to sidechain my Pads/Bass/Etc
I always use REs to make things sound good
I often parallel my tracks to fatten things up
Sometimes I hope for more money to buy REs

freeQlow

28 Jul 2015

Can I just say how fun reason is at creating wild and crazy arrangements.
Too much fun sometims.
I used as a Newb, 1-3 getting better in 4 and moved to ableton.
Last year I picked up Studio One 2 and Reason 8. I'm happy to be back with Reason. IMO it is finally what I wanted 8 years ago... almost perfect.
I'm slowly mixing with reason. I don't have a ton of racks, not sure I ever will with everything I've bought into.
I like bouncing rather than rewire so I can feel and run in S1. I like the feel of leaving 1 DAW and entering another. Kind of like leaving a recording studio and entering a mastering studio.

selig
RE Developer

28 Jul 2015

First and foremost, it's been my musical sketch pad since 2003. Since integrating Record and adding REs, I'm more using Reason for entire productions - at LEAST entire tracks that sometimes still get transferred to Pro Tools for adding vocals in the main studio and mixing. But more and more, especially for my own personal projects, I'm staying in Reason.

Lately I've been working on a project with a vocalist where I'm going through past sketches looking for any ideas/tracks that can be used for this new project. It really is impressive to me that I can call up tracks from well over 10+ years back and have them play exactly as I heard them when I created them. This essentially puts EVERYTHING on the table that I've ever created, and allows me to instantly begin building on these tracks when one is found to be inspiring to myself or my collaborator. It's been quite fun going through all these older ideas, kind of like looking through an old photo album.

I also use Reason to prototype some ideas for REs, to process vocals from outside projects with specific REs, and to build backing tracks for clients (the first thing I used it for back in 2003).
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Emerton

28 Jul 2015

Did you delete my post Selig?
Why? What was wrong with it?

keeverw

28 Jul 2015

Primarily, I use Reason as the center of my live keyboard rig for the worship band at my church.

Secondarily, I use Reason to create my music at home.

Hopefully one day I will use Reason to produce other people's music as a full time gig.

Emerton

28 Jul 2015

keeverw wrote:Primarily, I use Reason as the center of my live keyboard rig for the worship band at my church.

Hopefully one day I will use Reason to produce other people's music as a full time gig.
Cool! Which church?

andyhsong

28 Jul 2015

i only use reason. i come from a primarily pro tools and mpc background, and have played with most other major pieces of software out there. reason is my favorite for its stability, simplicity, and versatility. i still need to learn how to take advantage of all the crazy things you can do with it, but the process has been more than satisfying. the only thing i really miss from my past setups and workflows is some sort of dedicated hardware controller ala maschine!

RealmUK

28 Jul 2015

I use Reason for the whole process - composition/arrangement/final mixing/mastering - writing out the 2-channel stereo mix to reload this into a new session for mastering purposes.

Love the rack-based approach and being able to play with 'cables' occasionally.

sdst
Competition Winner

28 Jul 2015

I have another DAW but I get bored with it.

reason is the fun, the cv things that you can do

I do everything in reason, start with drums and chords

keeverw

28 Jul 2015

Emerton wrote:
keeverw wrote:Primarily, I use Reason as the center of my live keyboard rig for the worship band at my church.

Cool! Which church?
Antioch Community Church in Houston, TX

We were planted (a little over 2 years ago) by the much larger Antioch Community Church in Waco, TX.
I have a blast playing with this band. We have so many talented musicians (much moreso than myself).

• Information