Windows 10 compatibility

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Iapetus 9

02 Aug 2015

gak wrote:Targeted ads? You mean like the targeted ads that I get all day/every day on my ipad, computer/s and telephone calls?

It's a bit more than that, but hey, if you're happy with it then keep the Win10 fires burning. I'm thinking I'll wait until some things are sorted first. Maybe invest in Enterprise so I can kill the snoopers.
38L > 51D every time.

Ostermilk

02 Aug 2015

Iapetus 9 wrote:I'm just adding this here. I don't know how many of you care, but for me, the breach in privacy is making me rethink 10.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07 ... -settings/
LOL it didn't make you rethink Reason or any other vendor that's already moved to selling software as a service then?

Windows has been phoning home ever since I can remember, all that's changed is that they're telling you some (although probably not all) of what info they are collecting and using. We all get given a choice, abide by the EULA's terms or don't use the service.

Me personally I've just put a few more layers of tin foil on and lead lined my room to be on the safe side, but if they do target ads at me they'll cotton pretty quickly that I don't actually have a pot to piss in and just direct me to the free stuff hopefully... :D

I just hope they don't log details of my regular visits to "Celebrity Lookalike Midgets in PVC" website as it may be a little bit embarrasing if anyone found out how much time I spend there, but then again who among us here doesn't waste far too much time there?

EnochLight

02 Aug 2015

Ostermilk wrote: I just hope they don't log details of my regular visits to "Celebrity Lookalike Midgets in PVC" website as it may be a little bit embarrasing if anyone found out how much time I spend there, but then again who among us here doesn't waste far too much time there?
:D

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Wook

02 Aug 2015

Ostermilk wrote:"Celebrity Lookalike Midgets in PVC"
I actually googled this. Results were disappointing. :?

Windows 10 works without a problem here. Balance plays and records without complaints.

gak

02 Aug 2015

Iapetus 9 wrote:
gak wrote:Targeted ads? You mean like the targeted ads that I get all day/every day on my ipad, computer/s and telephone calls?

It's a bit more than that, but hey, if you're happy with it then keep the Win10 fires burning. I'm thinking I'll wait until some things are sorted first. Maybe invest in Enterprise so I can kill the snoopers.
Not happy with it at all. But that ship sailed 10 years ago.

Theo.M

02 Aug 2015

kitekrazy wrote:
Gaja wrote:
absynth50 wrote:M-audio are unlikely to update drivers until hell freezes over, It's a fairly dreadful company for customer support, axiom air anyone :)
That's because it's owned by Avid, which is a horrible company when it comes to service, or hardware quality (not all is bad, but I've had several bad experiences with MBox, 003 Rack, I/O 96), or support of third party applications (like with the S3 which is said to be supported by all third party DAWs, but doesn't even functionally support controlling via mackie protocol).
They are not owned by Avid. At least Avid has better driver support. If I could do it over again I would buy RME products. It's rare for their hardware to become doorstops.
exactly, they merged some products into avid's line, avid mostly discontinued them, then they split and became two different companies.

The difference is, that avid has been maintaining the drivers for the old m audio interfaces and actually maintaining them really quickly with new OS releases as well as fixes.

Theo.M

02 Aug 2015

bit concerned with wi fi sense and win 10 in general - even if i build a new PC i am going to stick to Win 7. Audio software will not stop supporting it for a long long time (basically until 2020 when Microsoft stops all updates for it, and then many devs will still support it for a time I am sure).

Iapetus 9

03 Aug 2015

Ostermilk wrote:
Windows has been phoning home ever since I can remember, all that's changed is that they're telling you some (although probably not all) of what info they are collecting and using. We all get given a choice, abide by the EULA's terms or don't use the service.

Me personally I've just put a few more layers of tin foil on and lead lined my room to be on the safe side, but if they do target ads at me they'll cotton pretty quickly that I don't actually have a pot to piss in and just direct me to the free stuff hopefully... :D

I just hope they don't log details of my regular visits to "Celebrity Lookalike Midgets in PVC" website as it may be a little bit embarrasing if anyone found out how much time I spend there, but then again who among us here doesn't waste far too much time there?
From the Win10 EULA- “We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.”

While it's a given that Windows has always phoned home in some respect, I do believe that they've gone a little too far here. The tin foil won't stop em. I do get the feeling that the younger generations are the ones who're fine with this. They be trained after all to stare into smartphones that plug custom ads and store their lives. No offense to anyone, but that dog don't hunt in my world. Anyways, for those who care, the article explains how to turn SOME of these features off. YMMV.
38L > 51D every time.

zakalwe

03 Aug 2015

it could be the case that they're covering themselves because security services may force them to disclose personal data.

security services don't really have to worry about getting sued though.

Sinistereo

03 Aug 2015

Iapetus 9 wrote: From the Win10 EULA- “We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.”

While it's a given that Windows has always phoned home in some respect, I do believe that they've gone a little too far here. The tin foil won't stop em. I do get the feeling that the younger generations are the ones who're fine with this. They be trained after all to stare into smartphones that plug custom ads and store their lives. No offense to anyone, but that dog don't hunt in my world. Anyways, for those who care, the article explains how to turn SOME of these features off. YMMV.
Solution: don't use Microsoft cloud platform services, such as Outlook.com email. Turn on all privacy settings, which are presented as options during installation (you have to click the TINY TINY link and not choose "Express" during the first few setup screens).

Microsoft hasn't done anything heinous that I'm aware of, and they're no longer in a position where they can afford to alienate their client base. However, they have a history of handing over personal information to authorities without putting up a fight, whereas both Google and to a lesser extent Apple are vocal in their resistance to national security letters and unwarranted search and seizure orders.

Ultimately, digital privacy is an illusion. I'm not worried about Win10, but I'm not going to use any of the services that hand over my data to Microsoft. Bye-bye Cortana, I'm married to the Goog.

Iapetus 9

03 Aug 2015

Sinistereo wrote:
Solution: don't use Microsoft cloud platform services, such as Outlook.com email. Turn on all privacy settings, which are presented as options during installation (you have to click the TINY TINY link and not choose "Express" during the first few setup screens).

Microsoft hasn't done anything heinous that I'm aware of, and they're no longer in a position where they can afford to alienate their client base. However, they have a history of handing over personal information to authorities without putting up a fight, whereas both Google and to a lesser extent Apple are vocal in their resistance to national security letters and unwarranted search and seizure orders.

Ultimately, digital privacy is an illusion. I'm not worried about Win10, but I'm not going to use any of the services that hand over my data to Microsoft. Bye-bye Cortana, I'm married to the Goog.
Thank you. My intentions are not to march on Microsoft or burn any villages LOL, but to simply add a dandy link providing good ways to fix the issues if you choose to. I'll certainly take care of the ones that bother me...when I upgrade. Cubase taught me to never upgrade right away LOL.
Last edited by Iapetus 9 on 03 Aug 2015, edited 1 time in total.
38L > 51D every time.

Sinistereo

03 Aug 2015

Iapetus 9 wrote: Thank you. My intentions are not to march on Microsoft or burn any villages LOL, but to simply add a dandy link providing good ways to fix the issues if you choose to. I'll certainly take care of the ones that bother me...when I upgrade. Cubase taught me to never upgrade right away LOL.
Well if you change your mind about the village burning, let me know so I can dust off my set of good torches and pitchforks. :D

I missed the link you shared. Not a bad article. A bit sensationalistic, but I wish more users were aware of how their data is being used. With every new version of Windows, the opt-out links get smaller and better hidden. :?

So far, this has been a surprisingly painless upgrade. Time will tell... waiting is usually the best stategy!

gak

03 Aug 2015

I'm dl'ing all my RE's on the old machine right now.

I've had growing pains but I'm starting to understand.

Ostermilk

04 Aug 2015

Iapetus 9 wrote:
Sinistereo wrote:

Thank you. My intentions are not to march on Microsoft or burn any villages LOL, but to simply add a dandy link providing good ways to fix the issues if you choose to. I'll certainly take care of the ones that bother me...when I upgrade. Cubase taught me to never upgrade right away LOL.
Indeed what you posted is great info for the unwary.

gak

04 Aug 2015

So been actually using and even doing some music today!

Reason has been doing fine on the ol' girl. Other than I don't have everything installed, haven't run into a snag (but if I have my external drive up, all the songs seem to open so far? Very confused by that)

raymondh

09 Aug 2015

Updated my PC earlier today.

Mostly smooth upgrade, although I needed to download W10 NVidea drivers.

Overall seems very slightly slower than Win 8.1 - I have a song that usually gets 3/4 thru before the dreaded computer too slow message.
Now it only gets about 1/8th the way into the song.

gak

09 Aug 2015

The new way 10 works has the browser looking kinda funny. For example, refills don't have the drop/down triangle anymore but if you click on it, then it works the same.

gak

10 Aug 2015

Bug, or am I high?

I thought you could drag/drop folders into favorites?

tt_lab

10 Aug 2015

Problem solve with the P6. I just did a soft reset and everything is in working order.
Seems pretty cool this windows 10.
I disabled everything that MS wants us to send them. BTW.

gak

10 Aug 2015

That's nice. I just sent a little note to ask if there was anything coming for us nektar users (I'm still annoyed with the pads 4/8 don't really work with kong for pan/volume/etc issue) It's been over a year since updated anything.

Social Exodus

11 Aug 2015

Grumbleweed wrote:
Ostermilk wrote:
Grumbleweed wrote:I checked and found my Focusrite Saffire is going to be ok but I guess the old M-Audio Axiom 49's drivers are unlikely to be updated.
Fortunately all of my guitars are guaranteed to work :).

Grum.
My guitars still don't work even under Windows 10 due to ongoing operator issues.
Ha ha :)

I bought a Line 6 JTV-89F (the blood red one) last week - what a brilliant bit of kit. If you just read what it can do there's a temptation to cry "bullshit" but if you actually use it you find it does everything they claim it does - and is bloody good at it!

Grum.

Have you noticed the ghost notes yet?
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

samsamsamsung

11 Aug 2015

I only updated yesterday,and it seemed...err...OK?..looks nice..all my programs inc. Reason seemed quite happy.,(mind you,Windows PhotoViewer stopped working completely.)...however when I fired it up today...no sound,nowhere was there any evidence of my old M-Audio Firewire Solo....so.I thought reload it..disc in,no autorun..found it,opened it,only to be told that my computer was incompatible,so went to the M-Audio site...no downloads/drivers etc....no longer supported,discontinued...so,rebooted the PC.....it reappeared, as if nothing had happened..handy,but a bit of a bastard about the soundcard as it's still working fine....?

raymondh

11 Aug 2015

Focusrite have new drivers in (public) beta for Win10 support. As I was getting less performance under Win10 (than Win 8.1), I thought I would try them out.
It got worse, now I have some crackling in the audio, even with larger buffer and latency. Unfortunately it has upgraded my 18i8 firmware which no longer supports the previous production ready drivers, so there is no going back.
I have logged a bug report with Focusrite. Fingers crossed!

gak

11 Aug 2015

raymondh wrote:Focusrite have new drivers in (public) beta for Win10 support. As I was getting less performance under Win10 (than Win 8.1), I thought I would try them out.
It got worse, now I have some crackling in the audio, even with larger buffer and latency. Unfortunately it has upgraded my 18i8 firmware which no longer supports the previous production ready drivers, so there is no going back.
I have logged a bug report with Focusrite. Fingers crossed!
Thanks for the heads up. That blows chunks.

For my FW focusrite it's just slaying on this computer but I have hooked up the newer one (which I upgraded but this one is working so well I'm afraid to make the switch back! :lol: )

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

11 Aug 2015

Siberian Khatru wrote:
Grumbleweed wrote: I bought a Line 6 JTV-89F (the blood red one) last week - what a brilliant bit of kit. If you just read what it can do there's a temptation to cry "bullshit" but if you actually use it you find it does everything they claim it does - and is bloody good at it!

Grum.

Have you noticed the ghost notes yet?
No, I believe they may be optional ;).

Grum.

• Information