Vst's into Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

07 Aug 2015

Hi All!

I have seen a couple of video's on You Tube but still not sure on this.

Can Vst's be used within Reason using the External Midi Instrument?

I've seen it using Soundflower but think that is mac only? I have windows 7.

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

ScuzzyEye

07 Aug 2015

Yes, they can be.

You need two things, a way to get the MIDI from the EMI to the VST, and a way to get the audio back into Reason.

This is where it gets a bit more tricky, and different solutions are available. I'm on Windows and use the loopMIDI utility, and the built-in loop-back audio channels of my Focusrite audio interface.

IAMGOD

08 Aug 2015

Or just get the Focusrite Saffire and you don't need any midi hook up to record the Audio from a VST.....

I use Omnisphere, Kontakt and all of my other VST's in Reason without hooking any midi eternal (whatever its called)

Saffire allows for me to record anything straight into Reason as if I were using sound flower .
Follow me on Instagram: Mr_Relevant
And live vicariously through me.

zeebot

08 Aug 2015

IAMGOD wrote:Or just get the Focusrite Saffire and you don't need any midi hook up to record the Audio from a VST.....

I use Omnisphere, Kontakt and all of my other VST's in Reason without hooking any midi eternal (whatever its called)

Saffire allows for me to record anything straight into Reason as if I were using sound flower .
What saffire do you have? I know with Saffire 6 you cant do that.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

Creativemind

08 Aug 2015

Saffire Pro 14 or 24 perhaps IAMGOD?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Puckboy2000

08 Aug 2015

Also, how does Focusrite let you play VSTs in Reason? Are you slaving Reason into the Focusrite mixing interface?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

OldGoat

09 Aug 2015

Hello IAMGOD (What a coincidence, I'm one too), it would be great if you describe how you have achieved this. What protocol is used for the communication between VST and Reason in your case?

Smallter Ego

09 Aug 2015

Vst effects as such as well? Curious, some nice vst fx out there

S
Reason. Because!

IAMGOD

09 Aug 2015

I have the saffire 24...

I got it 2 years ago when I was on Youtube and saw a video where a guy was using machine with Reason. But he used SoundFlower too.
He was explaining how good saffire was as far as integrating both programs. This was before Reason had the external midi instrument.

So I went out and purchased the saffire. Now I can record anything straight into reason without using Soundflower or any other source. Whether it be from other VST's, anything from YouTube etc....

Ill post a vid to show you guys how it works

Puckboy2000

09 Aug 2015

IAMGOD wrote:I have the saffire 24...

I got it 2 years ago when I was on Youtube and saw a video where a guy was using machine with Reason. But he used SoundFlower too.
He was explaining how good saffire was as far as integrating both programs. This was before Reason had the external midi instrument.

So I went out and purchased the saffire. Now I can record anything straight into reason without using Soundflower or any other source. Whether it be from other VST's, anything from YouTube etc....

Ill post a vid to show you guys how it works
YES!! Please post a video. I am very interested in this as I would like to buy some VSTs to use in Reason.
Also, are you using a Mac or Windows. I use. A MacBook Pro and my buddy uses a Windows desktop. He has a Focusrite Scarlett
And I could not locate any driver for Mac. So we could not use my computer for jamming at his house unless I brought over my MAudio FastTrak :cry:
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

am0eba

09 Aug 2015

I think there's a bit of confusion in this thread, due to terminology. It's not VSTs themselves that you can use with Reason, but rather the standalone versions of VST plug-ins. VST plug-ins need a compatible host DAW, and to use that in Reason, we have ReWire. (But this requires that the other DAW, which is hosting the plug-ins is the ReWire Master…)

The Reason External MIDI Instrument (EMI) allows us to send MIDI out from Reason to external software such as standalone versions of VST instruments (Many VSTs come this way, such as all of the virtual analog synths from Arturia, and even stuff like Native Instruments Reaktor). What IAMGOD's Saffire device is doing is allowing him to have a loopback of the audio from the external device back into Reason, which can then be recorded on a separate audio track. (This can be done without needing the extra hardware by utilizing loopback software such as Soundflower or LoopMIDI, but the method can be a little cumbersome.)

If I'm wrong on this, I apologize, but it seems to me this topic got derailed by a misunderstanding due to terminology.

_Dave_
:reason: :re: :refill: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :record: :rt:
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:
http://2little2late.org/am0eba/

Puckboy2000

09 Aug 2015

am0eba wrote:I think there's a bit of confusion in this thread, due to terminology. It's not VSTs themselves that you can use with Reason, but rather the standalone versions of VST plug-ins. VST plug-ins need a compatible host DAW, and to use that in Reason, we have ReWire. (But this requires that the other DAW, which is hosting the plug-ins is the ReWire Master…)

The Reason External MIDI Instrument (EMI) allows us to send MIDI out from Reason to external software such as standalone versions of VST instruments (Many VSTs come this way, such as all of the virtual analog synths from Arturia, and even stuff like Native Instruments Reaktor). What IAMGOD's Saffire device is doing is allowing him to have a loopback of the audio from the external device back into Reason, which can then be recorded on a separate audio track. (This can be done without needing the extra hardware by utilizing loopback software such as Soundflower or LoopMIDI, but the method can be a little cumbersome.)

If I'm wrong on this, I apologize, but it seems to me this topic got derailed by a misunderstanding due to terminology.

_Dave_

Why is this better than using the EMI device in reason to hook up to a VST synth? Latency??? Thanks

Iapetus 9

09 Aug 2015

am0eba wrote:I think there's a bit of confusion in this thread, due to terminology. It's not VSTs themselves that you can use with Reason, but rather the standalone versions of VST plug-ins. VST plug-ins need a compatible host DAW, and to use that in Reason, we have ReWire. (But this requires that the other DAW, which is hosting the plug-ins is the ReWire Master…)

_Dave_
This is true, but if you're on a budget and don't want to purchase more hardware, there is always the cheap workingman's way. Just get a audio splitter for your main computer out, and plug one of those feeds into your hardware recording input. Then make sure your standalone VST's are using the computer audio driver or ASIO4ALL, and save the hardware ASIO for Reason. Loopback challenge complete. Also, mini VST hosts can load all those other sweet VST's not in standalone and do the same thing with their audio outs. There are many free options here. Cheers!
38L > 51D every time.

am0eba

09 Aug 2015

Okay, I guess more clarification is needed:

VST is short for Virtual Studio Technology, and by itself usually refers to what is also known as a VST plug-in.

A VST plug-in can not be used by itself. It needs to be hosted by some DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software, such as:
  • Pro-Tools
    Logic
    Cakewalk
    Cubase
    Ableton Live
(Reason now has it's own proprietary format for plug-ins, called Rack Extensions. These are not compatible with VST technology.)

Many VSTs are Virtual Instruments, such as emulations of synthesizers, pianos, organs, etc. These are usually referred to as VSTi's.

Many VSTi's come in multiple formats, and often include standalone versions, which can be run all by themselves. No host software needed.

I believe that some participants in the discussion are being confused that when someone says they can run VST's in Reason, they mean that somehow they have found a way to make VST technology compatible with Reason, and this is not the case. (Except by slaving Reason via ReWire to another DAW that can host VSTs.)

My point was - and is - that VST's can not be run in Reason, but that there are methods to control and record standalone virtual instruments using Reason's EMI and some sort of audio loopback technology.

Loop-back can be accomplished using hardware, as in the Saffire interface (or more crudely, buy using loopback cables, which requires the audio to leave the digital realm and be converted back to analog and then back to digital before getting captured in Reason, and which will only work with certain audio interface hardware), or with software, using virtual audio loopback via Soundflower or LoopMIDI.

It seems that standalone versions of audio effects software could also be incorporated into a Reason setup, but in addition to what has been described, would also require an audio path from an extra audio output in Reason to the input of the standalone effect. Based on my experiences using Soundflower, I can imagine that such a process might be exceeding difficult to manage.

Hope I've cleared things up a little. Didn't mean to cause more confusion!

_Dave_
:reason: :re: :refill: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :record: :rt:
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:
http://2little2late.org/am0eba/

ScuzzyEye

09 Aug 2015

am0eba wrote:Many VSTs are Virtual Instruments, such as emulations of synthesizers, pianos, organs, etc. These are usually referred to as VSTi's.
There are also mini VSTi hosts that simply take MIDI in, and spit audio out. These are ideal for looping MIDI from Reason to another local program, and looping the audio back to Reason.

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

I have yet to try the VST in Reason.
I've heard of a few 3rd party software programs that allow this, but I was in the understanding that you needed 2 Interface to do so as the 2nd poster mentioned.

Anybody a fan of this to record Massive, Sylenth or other synths vs. just rewire?

Rewire has come a long way in 8 years. Most DAW show Rewire as an instrument.

I just got into Studio One 3 over the weekend. Rewire was right there with both my Abelton and Reason just a drag and drop away.

This will help me get out of some humps in my creative/time restraints process.
I love Reason to write and arrange, I love reason but I have a lot of money in RST/VST 32/64.

Just picked up Serum last night and can't put it down. I still want to get this Antidote for RE as well. That is a sexy RE Instrument.

Knowing a friend who is an Artist for a couple competing DAW, do not give up on Reason.
They are going to blow us away or finally be blown away.
Someone is gunning for Abelton and Logic users and they're doing it well. Props can't sleep long. 8.3 is near 100% Enjoyable out side of Midi CC and Plug in Hosting. The developers are coming this way and will have our card numbers!

platzangst

10 Aug 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote: There are also mini VSTi hosts that simply take MIDI in, and spit audio out. These are ideal for looping MIDI from Reason to another local program, and looping the audio back to Reason.
But you still need some solution to get that audio to Reason, right? If they're not capable of being a master, won't Reason not ReWire to them?

I remember a subject like this coming up on the old PUF but people were being kind of vague on specifics. And can you name some examples of these hosts, for research's sake?

Theo.M

10 Aug 2015

Ni stuff have their own midi driver that reason can see (standalone versions of kontakt, reaktor etc).

However it is still preferable to use a standalone host like mini host as that can save projects with settings of multiple vst.

You *should* be able to monitor using the one audio interface. It's getting the audio into reason for mixdown that is the issue and i can only help with that on mac, other than suggesting to buy a second interface and record digitally between the two when it's mixdown time (don't forget you will need to chop the start of the recorded audio due to whatever latency the out of that interface and the in of the other you use for reason is, to have it on time with your reason project).

if there really is a way to do it all the one way with saffire on windows i would love to know as well! As who knows I might be using win more in the future.

groggy1

10 Aug 2015

I use Sonar to host my VSTs. The nice thing about that is that I'm able to Save the Sonar session, so I can restore that later.

I.e. every song that I work on has two files:
1) The Reason file
2) The Sonar file

That way, if I load both of the saved files, it lets me load-up a song to the same state I had before, with all the right VSTs loaded. By using different MIDI channels per VST, I can have multiple VSTs going at once.

Works really well.

-Ido

ScuzzyEye

10 Aug 2015

platzangst wrote:But you still need some solution to get that audio to Reason, right? If they're not capable of being a master, won't Reason not ReWire to them?

I remember a subject like this coming up on the old PUF but people were being kind of vague on specifics. And can you name some examples of these hosts, for research's sake?
I use loopMIDI to get the MIDI from Reason to the VST host, and VSTHost as the mini host.

And like several other people I have a Focusrite Saffire (PRO40) that lets me loop the audio back to Reason.

IAMGOD

10 Aug 2015

ok heres quick video showing how I record into reason from outside VST's and other DAW's without using rewire or the EMI

The video is grainy because I did it real quick on my phone...

Last Alternative

10 Aug 2015

^No you are not God. haha sorry. And using the Illuminati symbol in there associated with God is just sick but whatev. I guess it depends on who's side you're on and which one is your god..
Cool hip hop though.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

pLansford

10 Aug 2015

Last Alternative wrote:^No you are not God. haha sorry. And using the Illuminati symbol in there associated with God is just sick but whatev. I guess it depends on who's side you're on and which one is your god..
Cool hip hop though.
People can call themselves Gods and use symbolism all they want. I was just a little disappointed when OP said he was gonna play some chords at 1:08. I was ready to be serenaded but was left hanging. :puf_bigsmile:

Thanks for sharing though. I've been wondering about this.

IAMGOD

10 Aug 2015

pLansford wrote:
Last Alternative wrote:^No you are not God. haha sorry. And using the Illuminati symbol in there associated with God is just sick but whatev. I guess it depends on who's side you're on and which one is your god..
Cool hip hop though.
People can call themselves Gods and use symbolism all they want. I was just a little disappointed when OP said he was gonna play some chords at 1:08. I was ready to be serenaded but was left hanging. :puf_bigsmile:

Thanks for sharing though. I've been wondering about this.

LOL I was but I was rushing holding the phone with one hand and trying to finish the vid real quick

Last Alternative

10 Aug 2015

Not saying he can't call himself that or proudly display evil symbolism, thus, praising and supporting the evil in this world. Just saying it's sick. That's my opinion and I'm no fan of that garbage. It's bad enough Jay-Z, Beyonce, Madonna, and pretty much everyone mainstream are devil worshipers. Eh this world is gonna burn anyway. Who cares anymore. LOL
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

• Information