Vst's into Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

18 Oct 2015

I have now got VB Audio Cable and from a comment about getting vst's into Reason, it is apparently possible using the EMI I presume. Anyone know how?

I'm using the Korg Legacy, Korg M1 to start with, Reason 8.3 and VB Audio Cable?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

musicman691

20 Oct 2015

am0eba wrote:I think there's a bit of confusion in this thread, due to terminology. It's not VSTs themselves that you can use with Reason, but rather the standalone versions of VST plug-ins. VST plug-ins need a compatible host DAW, and to use that in Reason, we have ReWire. (But this requires that the other DAW, which is hosting the plug-ins is the ReWire Master…)
Actually you don't need daw software; all you need is something to host the vst (or au if you're on a Mac) and that is Blue Cat Audio's Patchwork. Use that to host the plugin you want.
Jack
MacPro mid-2012 3.46 GHz hexcore Westmere 48 gig ram
OSX 10.13.6
PT2021.6, Reason 8.3
QAPLA!

Puckboy2000

20 Oct 2015

IAMGOD wrote:
Last Alternative wrote:Not saying he can't call himself that or proudly display evil symbolism, thus, praising and supporting the evil in this world. Just saying it's sick. That's my opinion and I'm no fan of that garbage. It's bad enough Jay-Z, Beyonce, Madonna, and pretty much everyone mainstream are devil worshipers. Eh this world is gonna burn anyway. Who cares anymore. LOL
Who says the eye of Horus is evil and why do you call it garbage when you obviously know nothing about it but hear say...
Maybe you should do research before you judge My $.02

But heres the vid again since we jumped of course

Thanks for the video. But you can't tempo sync or quantize that way, correct?
Also, you are using Mac? That's what I use.
Thanks
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

Creativemind

24 Oct 2015

Not getting anywhere with this. Just want to use the Korg M1 piano for a house track. Downloaded a Korg M1 piano sample to use in the NN-19 but it sounds nowhere near as good.

I have a windows computer (not mac), no soundflower, can't afford a Saffire Pro 24 interface atm and have VB Audio Cable if that's any good. Couldn't get LoopBe. I have stand alone vst's.

Or an alternative way. Is there a free software I can get online that will allow me to use vsts's within it just quickly and easily to play a little ditty in there using my vst and then quantize / tidy it up and export out as audio and then into reason?

Thanks1
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2015

Lizard

24 Oct 2015

avasopht wrote:Try VSTHost
Abso-freaking-lutely! It is exactly what I do as a Windows User. I use A virtual midi cable. I use LoopBe30 but there is a free one LoopBe1 and there are many others out there including loopmidi and so on. VSTHost is simply just that. It is a small and free host for VST software that has a lot of flexibility. You can set up scenes that instantly load your set of VST each with their own MIDI routing inputs that coordinate with your Reason Project. It is good stuff. I also use it with my Saffire Pro 24 DSP which does allow for Audio Loopback. This is done by assigning audio output of VST HOst to the loop-back channels on Saffire. Basically you run Reason which outputs the MIDI data to VSTHost that plays VST which comes right back in to a recording channel on an audio track. After recording you no longer need to run VST host of course.

Don't have audio loopback? OK. Not as smooth of course but VSTHost also has the ability to record its own audio to a wav file. In this manner you can solo your MIDI channel and record it to a folder. Then import it into your Reason project on an audio track which of course should be in time with your project so everything aligns well.

sinnerfire

25 Oct 2015

External Midi Instrument, yes you can use vst's in reason but when you see how complicated it is, you will probably think "Fuck that", i could grow a beard faster than that. :)
https://drumandbassasylum.com/ Free Samples + Presets for Reason.

pjeudy

25 Oct 2015

sinnerfire wrote:External Midi Instrument, yes you can use vst's in reason but when you see how complicated it is, you will probably think "Fuck that", i could grow a beard faster than that. :)
Actually that's not 100 % true.
The quickest way :
1.download loopMidi....to play your stand alone VSTi.
2. Use any audio capture software
3. Play the note in REASON (of course)
4. Capture the audio import into Reason.
5.adjust audio .....then done!

Actually the real truth. .....? It took me longer typing this then actually doing it. The only way to get VSTi into Reason would be if Props allowed it, everything else are ALL workarounds :-(
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

sinnerfire

28 Oct 2015

pjeudy wrote:
sinnerfire wrote:External Midi Instrument, yes you can use vst's in reason but when you see how complicated it is, you will probably think "Fuck that", i could grow a beard faster than that. :)
Actually that's not 100 % true.
The quickest way :
1.download loopMidi....to play your stand alone VSTi.
2. Use any audio capture software
3. Play the note in REASON (of course)
4. Capture the audio import into Reason.
5.adjust audio .....then done!

Actually the real truth. .....? It took me longer typing this then actually doing it. The only way to get VSTi into Reason would be if Props allowed it, everything else are ALL workarounds :-(
Your right but you left out a few important points, setting up an external instrument is tricky at the best of times, assigning the soundflower driver is a pain in the you know what, then if you manage to get the sound levels balanced with the audio from the reason sequencer and you want to record the audio back into Reason, you have to do more tricky adjustments to the soundflower driver and when you finally have the audio recorded back into Reason, you have to play around with it because it now sounds different to when you originally recorded it?

Total let down in my book by the props.
https://drumandbassasylum.com/ Free Samples + Presets for Reason.

IAMGOD

28 Oct 2015

Thanks for the video. But you can't tempo sync or quantize that way, correct?
Also, you are using Mac? That's what I use.
Thanks

Yes you can sync it and Im using a Mac
Follow me on Instagram: Mr_Relevant
And live vicariously through me.

joeyluck

28 Oct 2015

People keep asking for "VST support," but what is it folks actually want? No other plugin would ever integrate like Rack Extensions. And I'm not just talking about plugins living in the rack and having CV connections... Not sure what people consider "support" because even with DAWs that support VSTs—it's clunky. Everything—down to 'undo.'

Why do people keep complaining about "workarounds"? Have that many Reason users never sequenced and recorded hardware with software? It works the same.

EnochLight

28 Oct 2015

joeyluck wrote:People keep asking for "VST support," but what is it folks actually want?
To use Reason as a VST host, I would imagine. Pretty simples.
joeyluck wrote:No other plugin would ever integrate like Rack Extensions. And I'm not just talking about plugins living in the rack and having CV connections...
Oh no doubt, but it doesn't make the desire to have our favorite VST's hosted by Reason any less desirable. If I didn't have to fire up Studio One just to use Spire, Serum, Permut8, Satin, Hive, and a variety of other VST - I'd dump it immediately. Well, except I'd need it for Melodyne. :mrgreen:
joeyluck wrote:Not sure what people consider "support" because even with DAWs that support VSTs—it's clunky. Everything—down to 'undo.'
Again, just being able to use your VST in Reason as a host is all that is wanted.
joeyluck wrote:Why do people keep complaining about "workarounds"? Have that many Reason users never sequenced and recorded hardware with software? It works the same.
Because they're clunky and require additional steps, not to mention the lack of "total recall" that we've come to love in Reason.

Mind you, I'm not arguing for or against VST in Reason. I'm just clarifying what I perceive to be likely answers for many involved in this thread and countless threads before it (and threads that are likely to appear in the future).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

pjeudy

28 Oct 2015

When I think of Vsti for Reason...what I mean to say..is I want that particular instrument or effect or Dynamic device to work in Reason with all that the developer intended in tact !!!!

SERUM is a cool piece of software tech.... but if I live only in Reason I deny my self the experience of that piece of soft tech. I'm not just into making music but I also like technology that enables computer music to be made.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

• Information