Would things be different

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deepndark

13 Aug 2015

Would things be different if Reason would have a different name?
Also, what kind of name it should have?
Maybe " Softrack PRO 9 "?

Anyway, Reason isn't bad but the word is a witch, that may affect our minds. Reason as a word makes me feel like this software isn't a serious tool to create music, but the truth is very far from that. :puf_smile:

deepndark

13 Aug 2015

How about this name: " Passion 9"

esselfortium

13 Aug 2015

deepndark wrote:Reason isn't bad but the word is a witch, that may affect our minds. Reason as a word makes me feel like this software isn't a serious tool to create music, but the truth is very far from that. :puf_smile:
I think you spend way too much time thinking about this! If you feel like your tools are inhibiting your creativity in some way, whether it's just a mental block or otherwise, if you can't stop dwelling on it you would probably be better off finding a different toolset that you can get along with better.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

pLansford

13 Aug 2015

deepndark wrote:Reason as a word makes me feel like this software isn't a serious tool to create music, but the truth is very far from that. :puf_smile:
What is the reasoning behind this?

I think Reason is a great name! Reason is the reason and it can be as serious as you want it to be!

deepndark

13 Aug 2015

esselfortium wrote:
deepndark wrote:Reason isn't bad but the word is a witch, that may affect our minds. Reason as a word makes me feel like this software isn't a serious tool to create music, but the truth is very far from that. :puf_smile:
I think you spend way too much time thinking about this! If you feel like your tools are inhibiting your creativity in some way, whether it's just a mental block or otherwise, if you can't stop dwelling on it you would probably be better off finding a different toolset that you can get along with better.
I said that Reason is PRO so I don't understand your purpose to comment like this.

deepndark

13 Aug 2015

pLansford wrote:
deepndark wrote:Reason as a word makes me feel like this software isn't a serious tool to create music, but the truth is very far from that. :puf_smile:
What is the reasoning behind this?

I think Reason is a great name! Reason is the reason and it can be as serious as you want it to be!
I know Reason is as serious as you want it to be - I love using it and I sound good. ;)
But a name Passion for this sofware would describe how I think of this tool.

motuscott

13 Aug 2015

Time's Black Hole v.5478452
also, The Place Where Songs Go To Die
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

pLansford

13 Aug 2015

deepndark wrote:But a name Passion for this sofware would describe how I think of this tool.

Jmax

13 Aug 2015

deepndark wrote:How about this name: " Passion 9"
Passion sounds very girly and feminine.

Reason makes you think about reason and creating. Perfect name.

It doesn't matter what it's called so you don't need to think about it.

deepndark

13 Aug 2015

Jmax wrote:

Reason makes you think about reason and creating. Perfect name.

It doesn't matter what it's called so you don't need to think about it.
Here where I live passion is what makes you love music making so I don't think it's only a "girly" thing.
PS. Seems like we can't have open minded discussion here. Smartasses always ruin the purpose of the forums.

Exowildebeest

13 Aug 2015

Reason was obviously chosen pre-Google.

It's a great name, but somewhat too generic in practice. I hope they won't change it though.

Exowildebeest

13 Aug 2015

Jmax wrote:
Sounds more Jesusy to me ;)

selig
RE Developer

13 Aug 2015

deepndark wrote:Would things be different if Reason would have a different name?

Anyway, Reason isn't bad but the word is a witch, that may affect our minds. Reason as a word makes me feel like this software isn't a serious tool to create music, but the truth is very far from that. :puf_smile:
A rose by any other name is still a rose. And a name soon becomes something entirely different than simply the meaning of the word. Take the word "kiss" for example, a tender, sweet, loving word that somehow ALSO has come to represent one of the most famous hard rock bands of all time - far from the original meaning IMO!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

deepndark

13 Aug 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:Reason was obviously chosen pre-Google.

It's a great name, but somewhat too generic in practice. I hope they won't change it though.
Thank you, at least you didn't reply like you'd be above the others. :)

deepndark

13 Aug 2015

selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:Would things be different if Reason would have a different name?

A rose by any other name is still a rose. And a name soon becomes something entirely different than simply the meaning of the word. Take the word "kiss" for example, a tender, sweet, loving word that somehow ALSO has come to represent one of the most famous hard rock bands of all time - far from the original meaning IMO!
:)
Thank god Reason isn't called Rose haha. BTW, The Props have stated that they wanted to call Reason "Reaktor" but it was taken by the Native Instruments.

joeyluck

13 Aug 2015

I really like the name Reason!

Aside from that, it would have to be something with 'Re' at the beginning anyways :)

thotbott

13 Aug 2015

am guessing they were using logic when they came up with the idea :P

motuscott

13 Aug 2015

deepndark wrote: PS. Seems like we can't have open minded discussion here. Smartasses always ruin the purpose of the forums.
That would be me.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Exowildebeest

13 Aug 2015

What came first btw, Reason or Logic? (referring to the DAWs of course, serious question)

It's hard not to see the names as related.

joeyluck

13 Aug 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:What came first btw, Reason or Logic? (referring to the DAWs of course, serious question)

Logic was around for years before when it was created by Emagic before being bought by Apple

Last Alternative

13 Aug 2015

I suppose one could petition the company to change their product name with the argument that it makes them feel weird and is always in the back of their head like a buzzing fly getting in the way of their creativity. See where it goes. Maybe even take it to court and get the media involved.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Exowildebeest

13 Aug 2015

joeyluck wrote:
Exowildebeest wrote:What came first btw, Reason or Logic? (referring to the DAWs of course, serious question)

Logic was around for years before when it was created by Emagic before being bought by Apple
I know that - but was it released before Reason? Nevermind, I'll Wiki it :)

Exowildebeest

13 Aug 2015

"In 1992, Notator Logic was launched for Atari and Macintosh, followed by a version for Windows. "

Okay, Logic was first :D

joeyluck

13 Aug 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:"In 1992, Notator Logic was launched for Atari and Macintosh, followed by a version for Windows. "

Okay, Logic was first :D
Sorry, that's what I meant by "years before"

• Information