CV, I don't use it. Am I missing out?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
dvdrtldg

01 Sep 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:
dvdrtldg wrote:Put your instrument/effect into a combinator, connect your CV out to one of the combinator inputs, and then send that in the mod matrix to whatever parameter you want to modulate. Same result as going straight into the back of the device, except now you can see the knob/slider move
As I was pointing out, it's not necessarily the same result. This gives the same result as automating the control. CV to the back of a device offsets a knob from it's current position. It's possible to have automation and CV acting on a knob at the same time.
Sure, I get you. I was just pointing to a way of getting a visual cue as to the relationship between a CV signal and its effect. But you're right, it's not the exact same result as going into the back of the device

Benedict
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2015

I take it you missed this article I just wrote on visualization?

http://benedictroffmarsh.com/2015/09/01 ... aking-art/
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Raveshaper

01 Sep 2015

CV is essential to getting a good mix in my opinion. You can drive very slight changes in pitch in your percussion and drums using LFOs to breathe more life into your samples, you can modulate synth parts to have subtle or complex characteristics using different LFO types or envelopes, and you can create ghost hits to drive down different submixes or individual elements using sidechain compression or actual gain reduction.

You don't have to get crazy with it, but it is essential in a good song (to me anyway).
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2015

ebop wrote:
ScuzzyEye wrote:
ebop wrote:Is there a reason for this? Or am I missing something?
Because CV isn't actually moving the knob. It's offsetting the knob's value. In many devices it's possible to set a knob to its max value, and still raise the internal value higher by applying a positive CV value. You have to think of the final value of the user input as knob + CV, not just knob or CV.
Ok thanks Scuzzy, I think that explains why sometimes the knob doesn't go to the respective min and max when routed through a combinator CV input and values are set at the min and max. So the effect of the CV input is to 'offset the value' of the target by an amount determined by the CV input amount? Guess my point is just that without seeing the target knob or slider move it's hard (for me anyway) to see what the CV input is actually doing. That's why I route my CVs through a combinator to see the knobs and sliders actually moving in real time.
This is a free RE, its a CV meter.
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/cv-meter/

I found it handy as I was getting weird results from a Thor's LFO and this allowed me visually to see what was happening, in the end I used a LFO from a SubTractor as that was being constant for me.

ebop

02 Sep 2015

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
ebop wrote:
ScuzzyEye wrote:
ebop wrote:Is there a reason for this? Or am I missing something?
Because CV isn't actually moving the knob. It's offsetting the knob's value. In many devices it's possible to set a knob to its max value, and still raise the internal value higher by applying a positive CV value. You have to think of the final value of the user input as knob + CV, not just knob or CV.
Ok thanks Scuzzy, I think that explains why sometimes the knob doesn't go to the respective min and max when routed through a combinator CV input and values are set at the min and max. So the effect of the CV input is to 'offset the value' of the target by an amount determined by the CV input amount? Guess my point is just that without seeing the target knob or slider move it's hard (for me anyway) to see what the CV input is actually doing. That's why I route my CVs through a combinator to see the knobs and sliders actually moving in real time.
This is a free RE, its a CV meter.
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/cv-meter/

I found it handy as I was getting weird results from a Thor's LFO and this allowed me visually to see what was happening, in the end I used a LFO from a SubTractor as that was being constant for me.
Good call Carly thanks. Now that I know CV routed through a combinator doesn't give the same result as going straight to CV inputs on the back of devices I should learn to 'visually' measure CV properly. I have this RE just never used it :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2015

I just bought Pulsar. After looking through some videos of CV type devices I thought it looked pretty straightforward and easy to use. I do have Little LFO but Pulsar for some reason just looked more intuitive to me. And also it was on sale for 15 euro instead of 49, so if I don't end up using it very much it's not a big loss.

Just tried my first couple of CV routings so I guess I have entered the world of CV now.

syrokitty

05 Sep 2015

just a general response:

I dont understand the appeal of reason if not for CV.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2015

syrokitty wrote:just a general response:

Basically Reason looks and feels like fun. That's it. I can't say I feel the same way about other DAWs. They might be "better" and more open but I just don't feel as inspired and creative in other programs. Might be a dumb answer be there it is anyway. If I'm gonna sit hour after hour making music then the experience better be enjoyable.

Having said that I might change or add another DAW later on if it gets too limited for what I want to do musically.

As it is now I make the music in Reason and then use iZotope Ozone in Reaper for mastering.

syrokitty

05 Sep 2015

TritoneAddiction wrote:

Basically Reason looks and feels like fun. That's it. I can't say I feel the same way about other DAWs. They might be "better" and more open but I just don't feel as inspired and creative in other programs. Might be a dumb answer be there it is anyway. If I'm gonna sit hour after hour making music then the experience better be enjoyable.

Having said that I might change or add another DAW later on if it gets too limited for what I want to do musically.

As it is now I make the music in Reason and then use iZotope Ozone in Reaper for mastering.
Me, I either create in Reason or Ableton and then pump out stems for a final mix down in pro tools 11. (got blue cat audio's patchwork for vsts -nods-)

Reason, I just move quicker and freely because I can always command+z back to the beginning. Also I'm never paranoid about things crashing unexpectedly. (Have had that happen way too many times in logic/ ableton/ bigwig, etc.. reliability reigns supreme.) SO3 is nice, but nothing ground breaking for me. I love vocal comping/ automation/ CV for external synths (i have a microkorg/ probably about to grab the DSI prophet 6) .. really i just feel like i can do anything in reason without much work. (the reason for the clarifier being that you can literally do anything with max and ableton, but it just takes more effort to get the desired results on the fly for me atm)

I do love ableton, but i always get so caught up trying to get session view to behave the way I'd like/ global quantization + pickups/ launch modes. = wasting more time figuring out how to perform over writing/ producing an actual track. Automation is also, comparatively, hellish.
Last edited by syrokitty on 06 Sep 2015, edited 1 time in total.

The Tone Ranger

06 Sep 2015

TritoneAddiction wrote:

I really don't understand people who say other DAW's are more open than Reason. Reason has CV, how much more open do you want? There's endless possibilities.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2015

The Tone Ranger wrote: I really don't understand people who say other DAW's are more open than Reason. Reason has CV, how much more open do you want? There's endless possibilities.
True that Reason can do some unique things, but I was thinking about the obvious stuff, all the vsts that are out there that we can't use. I would love to have a good exciter in Reason, the ones we have in the shop don't even come close to iZotopes Ozone for example. There's no denying that Reason has it's limitations, unless you want to rewire to another DAW.

Benedict
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2015

The grass is always greener on the other side

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2015

Benedict wrote:The grass is always greener on the other side

:)