Pulsating Rhythm Sound/Technique Questions?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Purpleb

02 Sep 2015

Hello,

I have two questions.

I am a big fan of New Order and love their early 80s stuff (Temptation, Everything's Gone Green, Hurt, Ceremony, Procession, etc.).

In a lot of their early 80s synth heavier stuff (Temptation and Everything's Gone Green specifically) they have this 16th note synth pulse that basically plays through out the whole song. Then they have another synth playing a bit louder, heavier rhythmic pattern over the pulse, you can clearly hear it in the temptation video below. The 16th note pulse comes in at around 19 seconds. The other main rhythmic pattern basically comes in around same time, it is the main synth rhythmic riff of the song.

I read somewhere a while back that the way they created this 16th note synth pulse/push/drive was by triggering an Arp Quadra or Oberhiem synth from a DR-55 drum machine.

Question 1: Is there a way to create this 16th note pulse say by having redrum trigger a synth?

Question 2: I know there is probably multiple ways of doing this in Reason: in the sequencer, matrix or rpg-8. Would one of those be the best way to attack this? or how would you go about creating a similar 16th note pulse sound like in video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qahee9DxFQM

Thanks.

Benedict
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2015

I wouldn't use ReDrum as the new version of Step Note RE is like an 80's Seq wet dream come true as you make your pattern and can then transpose it with keys. I can be locked to Key/Scale and then all sorts of adjustments to Gate timings etc. Also grab the free Selector RE.

You won't regret it. I have used it on about 4 tracks on my new record and done stuff I have always wanted. I feel like it is 1981 again in studio Benedict LOL
Last edited by Benedict on 02 Sep 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

ScuzzyEye

02 Sep 2015

I think the pattern section of the RPG-8 can get pretty close to this alone.

Purpleb

02 Sep 2015

Step Note RE does look tasty - I will for sure be demoing it and most likely pick it up.
I am a sucker for in the rack sequencers.

How about sound? It seems like they are extremely short pulses that cutoff pretty quick. How would you go about achieving the right sound for this 16th note pulse?

Tincture

02 Sep 2015

Well if you draw in your 16th notes rather than using Rpg8 or whatever then it just comes down to the amp and filter envelopes on your synth. Bring all the adsr sliders or rotaries down to zero then increase the decay of the amp env until it's about the right length. Increase the sustain until you like that (may still be zero?). Then do the same for release. By the sounds of it you won't want to increase the attack much/ at all. Because it's bass try a lp filter and bring the cutoff down to where it sounds right. Then just do the same procedure for the filter envelope. Rinse and repeat if needs be. Maybe a bit of fi'ter rez too... But I didn't really notice any I don't think. Worth a try? I'm sure others will have different/better ways of doing it.

Benedict
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2015

I'm gonna say that if you use a full Sustain and then let the Seq define Gate length you are more likely to get the sound you are after - little pulses of sound.
Benedict Roff-Marsh

submonsterz

02 Sep 2015

you could go similar by using lfo`s

a sort of example would be what the guy describes here but same principle ..

submonsterz

02 Sep 2015

Benedict wrote:I wouldn't use ReDrum as the new version of Step Note RE is like an 80's Seq wet dream come true as you make your pattern and can then transpose it with keys. I can be locked to Key/Scale and then all sorts of adjustments to Gate timings etc. Also grab the free Selector RE.

You won't regret it. I have used it on about 4 tracks on my new record and done stuff I have always wanted. I feel like it is 1981 again in studio Benedict LOL
if he don't want to buy res you can use redrum but bit glitch I must say but here I show you a randon thing that uses redrum to do the pulse as such and it can be pitched via using a one note free re to use it for pitching of notes you only need to draw long notes at the pitches you want it to go to etc and redrum will trigger the synth note..
crappy example file here but its just example of it I just did random its all self explanatory and very easy to do just look at how simples. but as I say a bit glitchy.
example redrum trigger glitchy.zip
(31.63 KiB) Downloaded 53 times

Purpleb

03 Sep 2015

Tincture wrote:Well if you draw in your 16th notes rather than using Rpg8 or whatever then it just comes down to the amp and filter envelopes on your synth. Bring all the adsr sliders or rotaries down to zero then increase the decay of the amp env until it's about the right length. Increase the sustain until you like that (may still be zero?). Then do the same for release. By the sounds of it you won't want to increase the attack much/ at all. Because it's bass try a lp filter and bring the cutoff down to where it sounds right. Then just do the same procedure for the filter envelope. Rinse and repeat if needs be. Maybe a bit of fi'ter rez too... But I didn't really notice any I don't think. Worth a try? I'm sure others will have different/better ways of doing it.
Benedict wrote:I'm gonna say that if you use a full Sustain and then let the Seq define Gate length you are more likely to get the sound you are after - little pulses of sound.
I have been messing with both of these ideas for some time now. They seem like very cool ideas and I am pretty sure I get what they are trying to accomplish and I like both of these ways A LOT. Seems like they should do the trick. But I just can't seem to get usable sounds from it, I get close but can't get anything sounding good. It is defiantly on me and my crappy programming skills. Any more tips with these 2 ideas? I thought a simple square or saw wave should get me in the ball park, but idk.

submonsterz wrote:you could go similar by using lfo`s

a sort of example would be what the guy describes here but same principle ..

Very cool video that guy is amazing. I will try this out now. Thanks.

Benedict
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2015

Here is a Thor patch that is I thing interchangeable with the one from the video. The trick is all in setting up the Seq to run from the Button and then the Seq pattern. Note minimal use of FX to keep it raw.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/686 ... dered.thor

Here is a bonus Combi using RPG-8 for a more Tangerine Dream vibe. Hint play the notes you would in a Motif, in order, as a chord and hear the magic flow.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/686 ... 20Wall.cmb
Benedict Roff-Marsh

Purpleb

04 Sep 2015

Benedict wrote:Here is a Thor patch that is I thing interchangeable with the one from the video. The trick is all in setting up the Seq to run from the Button and then the Seq pattern. Note minimal use of FX to keep it raw.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/686 ... dered.thor

Here is a bonus Combi using RPG-8 for a more Tangerine Dream vibe. Hint play the notes you would in a Motif, in order, as a chord and hear the magic flow.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/686 ... 20Wall.cmb
Very cool thanks Benedict, that sounds like something I can mess around with. I like the Tangerine Dream combi too, very cool! Thanks a lot.

• Information