Bypassing the SSL Compressor with only some tracks

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Iggster

22 Sep 2015

All,

I'm using the main SSL bus compressor on a track which is really going well on 90% of my tracks but losing the dynamics on the remaining tracks. I have a dilema of maintaining dynamics but losing out on the gelling and other benefits of the other tracks so the question is can I bypass the 10% of tracks from the main bus compressor?

The SSL compressor is currently set at slowest attack/auto release. The only work-round I can think of is routing directly to the main hardware mixer. Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Iggster

Raveshaper

22 Sep 2015

I'm not sure if this would work at all, but you could route all of the sounds you want to compress into a bus, then place a line mixer in the inserts of that bus. Use an audio splitter to send the insert input of the bus into channel 1 of the line mixer and into the insert output. Attach the Aux Send of the line mixer to the dynamics input on the back of the master section. Now dial in the amount of compression for the sounds you want to compress by adjusting the send knob in channel 1 of the line mixer.

The compressor should only work on those sounds, but will probably still effect all of them as before. Worth a try.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

EnochLight

22 Sep 2015

Iggster wrote:All,

I'm using the main SSL bus compressor on a track which is really going well on 90% of my tracks but losing the dynamics on the remaining tracks. I have a dilema of maintaining dynamics but losing out on the gelling and other benefits of the other tracks so the question is can I bypass the 10% of tracks from the main bus compressor?

The SSL compressor is currently set at slowest attack/auto release. The only work-round I can think of is routing directly to the main hardware mixer. Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Iggster
In your example, don't use the Master Comp on the SSL; instead use it via each track via the channel strip compressor controls. That way you can choose which tracks to utilize it on. The Master Comp and the channel strip comp are very similar. You might achieve the results you are looking for that way.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

22 Sep 2015

I would say this is an indication that your mix isn't working on it's own IMO. Not sure how you are measuring your percentages, but I would guess that 10% of the tracks that don't work are either much louder (more likely, kick/bass maybe?) or much softer than the rest. IF that is the case, what you are doing is trying to "fix" the mix with compression. I would start by asking how much gain reduction are you going for? The SSL Master Compressor is considered by many to work best with around 3-6 dB gain reduction.

Thing is, once you are putting a compressor on your MIX, you no longer have "tracks" per se. You are compressing the entire mix, and the compression affects the dynamics of the MIX, not the individual tracks.

BTW, if you are compressing AND maintaining dynamics, what are you actually doing to your mix? If you don't want to affect dynamics, what are you using a compressor for?

As for your idea of compressing some of the mix and not the rest, I would say that is the most complex solution to a simple problem you could ask for. Listen to the mix without compression and see if you can improve balances. Then decide if you even NEED mix compression, and if so ask yourself "to do what?". Then see if you can get the SSL comp to do what you want.

Also BTW, for bass heavy tracks I find the SSL master Compressor to work better with a side-chain HPF to reduce the reduction for the lower frequencies. Simple to do if you're curious. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Marc64

22 Sep 2015

mute all channels but the channels you need and bounce out them with the compressor and import it and then disable the compressor then you have a compressed track and the rest as they are :)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

TheGodOfRainbows

23 Sep 2015

selig wrote:Also BTW, for bass heavy tracks I find the SSL master Compressor to work better with a side-chain HPF to reduce the reduction for the lower frequencies.
Selig, what do you mean by "I find the SSL master Compressor to work better with a side-chain HPF to reduce the reduction for the lower frequencies"? Can you rephrase? I have no idea what you are talking about here. Especially "...reduce the reduction..." ?! :-?

Iggster

23 Sep 2015

Thanks guys for taking the time out to respond! All useful information as always! I have heard that side chaining the SSL Compressor is a good solution but also interested in hearing more about using a HPF.

Probably worth explaining a little more about my situation. I'm finding the slight pumping effect is really adding to the music but I have a hook that is ducking and losing its impact (I suppose that's what I mean when I say it's losing dynamics).

I think the side chaining may work and maybe automating the HPF, etc. when the hook is playing. So is the drum track or the full mix the best source material for side chaining? I assume you just then route this via the HPF before the SC input.

selig
RE Developer

23 Sep 2015

Marc64 wrote:mute all channels but the channels you need and bounce out them with the compressor and import it and then disable the compressor then you have a compressed track and the rest as they are :)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
+1
This is the best/simplest approach so far, but you'll still have to eventually combine the stems and (possibly) use a limiter to keep the results under control.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

23 Sep 2015

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
selig wrote:Also BTW, for bass heavy tracks I find the SSL master Compressor to work better with a side-chain HPF to reduce the reduction for the lower frequencies.
Selig, what do you mean by "I find the SSL master Compressor to work better with a side-chain HPF to reduce the reduction for the lower frequencies"? Can you rephrase? I have no idea what you are talking about here. Especially "...reduce the reduction..." ?! :-?
Side chaining has been around for many decades, and one of the most common uses is to put a filter in the side chain input but not in the main path. The end result is that the compressor becomes LESS sensitive to the frequencies you cut, in this case the bass frequencies. So with this effect in place you can reduce the amount of "pumping" of the mix as a result of low frequency kicks etc, leaving a more 'steady' mix overall - and as a bonus, there will actually be MORE low end in your mix since the compressor will not compress as much in response to those frequencies.

BTW, this concept has also long been used for de-essing, doing the opposite - using the side chain input to INCREASE the sibilance thus causing the compressor to be MORE sensitive to those frequencies.
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

23 Sep 2015

Iggster wrote:Thanks guys for taking the time out to respond! All useful information as always! I have heard that side chaining the SSL Compressor is a good solution but also interested in hearing more about using a HPF.

Probably worth explaining a little more about my situation. I'm finding the slight pumping effect is really adding to the music but I have a hook that is ducking and losing its impact (I suppose that's what I mean when I say it's losing dynamics).

I think the side chaining may work and maybe automating the HPF, etc. when the hook is playing. So is the drum track or the full mix the best source material for side chaining? I assume you just then route this via the HPF before the SC input.
What you described is often called "pumping and breathing" in a compressor. If your mix is pumping in this way, you are likely using quite a bit of compression overall. Again, I always like to ask how much gain reduction is your goal, and how much you are using that produces this result.

The easy way to setup a quick side chain filter in the SSL Master Comp is to insert a Stereo Imager (solo High Band) in the insert point, but move the outputs to the KEY input of the Master Compressor. Leave the "From Devices" unplugged, and be SURE to set the Master Insert to PRE Master Compressor or this won't work as well. Basically all that is happening with this setup is that you are "splitting" the main signal BEFORE the compressor and inserting a filter ONLY on the Key input. This means that the only difference between the main and key input is the filter, and thus the compressor is "seeing" less low end and thus will compress less in response to low frequency energy like a kick. As for the settings, start with the crossover/filter to between 200 and 400 Hz. I've never needed to automate this control, but you can certainly try - hopefully it won't be audible.

Hope this makes sense and helps!
Selig Audio, LLC

TheGodOfRainbows

24 Sep 2015

selig wrote:The easy way to setup a quick side chain filter in the SSL Master Comp is to insert a Stereo Imager (solo High Band) in the insert point, but move the outputs to the KEY input of the Master Compressor. Leave the "From Devices" unplugged, and be SURE to set the Master Insert to PRE Master Compressor or this won't work as well. Basically all that is happening with this setup is that you are "splitting" the main signal BEFORE the compressor and inserting a filter ONLY on the Key input. This means that the only difference between the main and key input is the filter, and thus the compressor is "seeing" less low end and thus will compress less in response to low frequency energy like a kick. As for the settings, start with the crossover/filter to between 200 and 400 Hz. I've never needed to automate this control, but you can certainly try - hopefully it won't be audible.

Hope this makes sense and helps!
Thanks Selig. I NEVER realized until now that you could do this with the Master Compressor. That's why I was confused, not about the concept of sidechaining. Are you the Oracle of Reason? I'm always learning about new things from your posts.

ebop

24 Sep 2015

selig wrote:Also BTW, for bass heavy tracks I find the SSL master Compressor to work better with a side-chain HPF to reduce the reduction for the lower frequencies. Simple to do if you're curious. :)
I use this all the time now and it works great for my house mixes. Don't think it's the right term but it seems to really clean it up. You can sweep through the freqs and hear the difference to find a sweet spot. Well worth trying this out if you haven't already.

Iggster

24 Sep 2015

Well I did this last night on a song I was entering into the Zero Song Challenge (DFAC5 Hero to Zero if anyone's interested! :puf_wink:) and it was really easy to set up. Probably not the best settings as I'm working away so mixing thru heaphones at the moment but definitely something i'll be exploring further!

Thanks again for everyone's feedback!

selig
RE Developer

24 Sep 2015

For the record, here is (IMO) the simplest way to add side-chain filtering to the SSL Master Compressor:
Important:
Signal Path: INSERTS PRE COMPRESSOR
Stereo Imager: SOLO HI BAND (or you can use the Separate Out set to "Hi Band")
Selig Audio, LLC

Iggster

24 Sep 2015

Thanks Selig.

This seems so much easier that my configuration which involved using an audio-splitter and routing audio from the mastering effects thru a HPF filter and into the SC of the SSL compressor.

Will give this a try and see how different the results are!

Arrant
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2015

Excellent thread guys, thanks. It's usually pads that need a little less pumping in my mixes, will try some SC filtering for sure :)

selig
RE Developer

26 Sep 2015

Arrant wrote:Excellent thread guys, thanks. It's usually pads that need a little less pumping in my mixes, will try some SC filtering for sure :)
I would rephrase that to illustrate that the pumping is always there, but it is the steady sounds like pads the merely REVEAL the pumping!
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information