Record vocal while monitoring with effects, with no latency

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
BeachNut

10 Oct 2015

Yep, I'm a Newb. Question: Is there a way to Record vocal while monitoring with effects, with no latency? In Ableton, I can create a return track and monitor that. Is this possible in Reason (Essentials 8.3) ?
Any guidance is appreciated!
<BeachNut>

MannequinRaces

10 Oct 2015

Check out steps 5-7: http://www.musictech.net/2013/09/reason ... cording-1/ I could be wrong but there will be some latency introduced, you can lower the buffer size to help offset this. Going too low on the buffer size and you'll get the snap, crackle, and pops though. :)

BeachNut

11 Oct 2015

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.
<BeachNut>

Tincture

11 Oct 2015

Think about what you are asking... You want your voice to go into your daw, be processed and then returned instantly? Impossible. Or do you mean just that you want the effects applied latency to be accounted for? Maybe the previous poster gave a workaround for that? But again it would only be compensation. I can't sing for toffee but when I try I never need to hear any fx... That would make it harder to judge for me. Like only hearing a wet delayed guitar part... Is there a reason you want to hear the fx as you sing?

MannequinRaces

11 Oct 2015

Tons of vocalists like a little bit of reverb added to their headphone mix while they're singing. Came across this article, the OP might find it useful. http://therecordingrevolution.com/2012/ ... th-reverb/

Rastamamo

12 Oct 2015

Unless you use studio one 3.1 with studio 192 usb 3 interface.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

12 Oct 2015

Hi, you can do a mix of direct monitoring with reason monitoring.

In your audio card, set the correct mixer levels (careful with gain staging at the pre-amp), to have as much of the vocal as you wish.

In reason, create an audio track and define the mic channel as the channel for that track.
Add a reverb as send (if your project doesn't have it already).
Lower the fader to a minimum, like -20 db. Increase the send amount of that channel.
Do this at the same time you test the mix to the point where you listen to your mic signal from the direct monitoring, and the amount you have from the reason dry source is very small, and the send feed is high.

Another option, and this depends on your interface, and computer, is to lower the system latency to very small amounts. Latencies of 2-4 ms are not noticeable even by the most exquisite singers. Be sure though, to disable direct monitoring (if your card does not allow disabling it, just lower the card mix fader to -00, and enable reason monitoring. Then just enable the reverb send as you would do it in the normal track.

Good luck.

normen

12 Oct 2015

I suggest not using the software monitoring feature when recording with a mix of hardware monitoring and software monitoring. Reason will put the recording to where the software monitoring is heard in that case (i.e. too late in respect to the hardware monitoring). Use the hardware interface in Reason to create the Reverb and disable software monitoring in the track.

MitchClark89

05 Apr 2017

MannequinRaces wrote:Tons of vocalists like a little bit of reverb added to their headphone mix while they're singing. Came across this article, the OP might find it useful. http://therecordingrevolution.com/2012/ ... th-reverb/
this is long time ago lol but i just want to say thank you for posting this link. i have not try yet but will do tonight as this problem has been driving my singer friend crazy! and i couldnt work it out how to avoid. i am very hopeful this will be a help :thumbs_up: :D

MitchClark89

11 Apr 2017

mcatalao wrote:Hi, you can do a mix of direct monitoring with reason monitoring.

In your audio card, set the correct mixer levels (careful with gain staging at the pre-amp), to have as much of the vocal as you wish.

In reason, create an audio track and define the mic channel as the channel for that track.
Lower the fader to a minimum, like -20 db. Increase the send amount of that channel.
Do this at the same time you test the mix to the point where you listen to your mic signal from the direct monitoring, and the amount you have from the reason dry source is very small, and the send feed is high.

Another option, and this depends on your interface, and computer, is to lower the system latency to very small amounts. Latencies of 2-4 ms are not noticeable even by the most exquisite singers. Be sure though, to disable direct monitoring (if your card does not allow disabling it, just lower the card mix fader to -00, and enable reason monitoring. Then just enable the reverb send as you would do it in the normal track.

Good luck.
:P :thumbs_up: i could not get the recording revolution solution to work but yours worked very well thank you mctatalao :D

Saxplayerz

01 Mar 2018

Well this is taking me quite a while to find a solution but you need to setup sends as a channel and then do the steps in this video.

selig
RE Developer

02 Mar 2018

mcatalao wrote:Hi, you can do a mix of direct monitoring with reason monitoring.

Why not just use a pre-fader send, pulling the audio channel fader all the way down (to prevent any ‘doubling/delay’ of the direct signal)?

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

timbuk295

16 Dec 2018

I haven't tried this, but I've heard the Universal Audio interfaces have real-time effects built into them for zero-latency effects monitoring - I think exactly what you're looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Information