Reason 8.3.2 Released

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ScuzzyEye

02 Nov 2015

https://www.propellerheads.se/reason/up ... ease-notes

Reason 8.3.2 / Reason Essentials 8.3.2 Release Notes

Fixed a bug where development versions of Rack Extensions could cause audio glitches
Fixed crashes in ReWire hosts using Reason 8.3 or Reason Essentials 8.3 as ReWire slave on Mac
Includes Authorizer 2.9 with added automatic retry for downloads to improve reliability

(I saw my 8.3.1 thread was being bumped asking for details about 8.3.2, so I'll start a new one here.)

pjeudy

02 Nov 2015

"Mixer scrollbar no longer overlaps the channel strip name labels"
I feel vindicated !!!!! I jumped on that so hard when I was beta testing Reason 8 !!! It made Zero sense having that there, can't count how many times I hit that scroll bar by accident !!!
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

ScuzzyEye

02 Nov 2015

pjeudy wrote:"Mixer scrollbar no longer overlaps the channel strip name labels"
I didn't even notice that was changed. Had to look to see how it was done, and the label area is now a bit taller, so there's enough space below the text for the scrollbar to fit.

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

02 Nov 2015

I feel vindicated !!!!! I jumped on that so hard when I was beta testing Reason 8 !!! It made Zero sense having that there, can't count how many times I hit that scroll bar by accident !!!
I might think about upgrading now ;).

Grum.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

02 Nov 2015

Why are you vindicated? It's still as bad, it's barely visible and too hard to hit intentionally. 50% of the time i end up dragging channels about. Same with the vertical scroll bar on the sequencer. Terrible piece of design.

pjeudy

02 Nov 2015

:ignition:
JiggeryPokery wrote:
Why are you vindicated? It's still as bad, it's barely visible and too hard to hit intentionally. 50% of the time i end up dragging channels about. Same with the vertical scroll bar on the sequencer. Terrible piece of design.
Nooo! Don't say that jigg ! I'm out and about, I don't have a computer in front of me :-(
Sigh* I thought they would fix that accidentally dragging the scrol bar that THEY INTRODUCED in Reason 8. :-(
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

Exowildebeest

02 Nov 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:
Shift+mousewheel

Trying to make a habit of that.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

02 Nov 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:
JiggeryPokery wrote:
Shift+mousewheel

So one now should always have to use two hands to navigate? :roll:

Perhaps not breaking 30+ years of intuitive design that everyone is used to just because someone wants to pretend to be Jonny Ives and value form over function for an afternoon would have been a better idea in the first place.

There's a reason scroll bars were a certain form in terms of size and visibility, c.15 pixels and translucent, and not 10 pixels and opaque and overlaid in shades of grey.

Exowildebeest

02 Nov 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:
Exowildebeest wrote:
JiggeryPokery wrote:
Shift+mousewheel

So one now should always have to use two hands to navigate? :roll:

Perhaps not breaking 30+ years of intuitive design that everyone is used to just because someone wants to pretend to be Jonny Ives and value form over function for an afternoon would have been a better idea in the first place.

There's a reason scroll bars were a certain form in terms of size and visibility, c.15 pixels and translucent, and not 10 pixels and opaque and overlaid in shades of grey.
I'm not arguing it isn't a tiny design flaw - it is :) But shift+scrollwheel is an okay workaround for me, currently. When I'm not Al Bundying, my hands are available for navigation anyway.

joeyluck

02 Nov 2015

I didn't know many people actually used the scrollbar or shift+mousewheel.
I guess I forget that not everybody uses a trackpad.

On my MacBook Pro, I use two fingers to scroll any which direction in the mixer, rack, or sequencer. Scrolling up, down, diagonally. It's so quick and it feels natural. I can scroll slowly or do a quick swipe to get somewhere quickly. Can't imagine any other way of navigating anything in Reason.

Maybe entertain the idea of getting something like the Apple Magic Trackpad?

ScuzzyEye

02 Nov 2015

Many mice these days can tilt the scroll wheel for horizontal scrolling. Mine (Logitech MX Master) has a thumb wheel that handles the horizontal. Still, I use the shift+wheel often because that wheel is weighted and can quickly zip to different places in the sequencer or mixer.

Exowildebeest

02 Nov 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:Many mice these days can tilt the scroll wheel for horizontal scrolling. Mine (Logitech MX Master) has a thumb wheel that handles the horizontal. Still, I use the shift+wheel often because that wheel is weighted and can quickly zip to different places in the sequencer or mixer.
Don't get me started on the horrors of finding a mouse that's completely the way you want it.

Found one you like, but it isn't wireless.

Found one that's wireless and has all the buttons, but doesn't sit nicely in your hand.

Found one that's wireless and sits nicely in your hand but doesn't have all the buttons.

Found one that's wireless and sits nicely in your hand and has all the buttons... But a fucking inertial-only scrollwheel. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu

jonheal

02 Nov 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:Perhaps not breaking 30+ years of intuitive design that everyone is used to just because someone wants to pretend to be Jonny Ives and value form over function for an afternoon would have been a better idea in the first place.

It's my turn! I want to be Jonny Ives! Can I be Jonny Ives, now!?!!
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

joeyluck

02 Nov 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:
ScuzzyEye wrote:Many mice these days can tilt the scroll wheel for horizontal scrolling. Mine (Logitech MX Master) has a thumb wheel that handles the horizontal. Still, I use the shift+wheel often because that wheel is weighted and can quickly zip to different places in the sequencer or mixer.
Don't get me started on the horrors of finding a mouse that's completely the way you want it.

Found one that's wireless and has all the buttons, but doesn't sit nicely in your hand.

Found one that's wireless and sits nicely in your hand but doesn't have all the buttons.

Found one that's wireless and sits nicely in your hand and has all the buttons... But a fucking inertial-only scrollwheel. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu
Apple Magic Trackpad 2 for the win!

esselfortium

02 Nov 2015

Which scrollbar are you guys talking about? The only scrollbar I see in the mixer is the one going across the bottom if the window isn't wide enough for all the channels, and it looks like any other scrollbar in OS X. I compared it before and after installing the update, and didn't notice any difference to it.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

craven

02 Nov 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:
I didn't even notice that was changed. Had to look to see how it was done, and the label area is now a bit taller, so there's enough space below the text for the scrollbar to fit.
yeah, but that was changed with the 8.3 update already, I actually have no issues with this so far, but my projects are usually small enough and don't require much scrolling in the mixer. Let's hope that future 8.x updates improve the workflow substantially.
:ugeek:

pjeudy

02 Nov 2015

esselfortium wrote:Which scrollbar are you guys talking about? The only scrollbar I see in the mixer is the one going across the bottom if the window isn't wide enough for all the channels, and it looks like any other scrollbar in OS X. I compared it before and after installing the update, and didn't notice any difference to it.
Th difference im referring to is as compared to Reason 7. You had zero chance of dragging the scroll bar by mistake. In Reason 8 Propellerheads put style over functionality. During the beta of R8 is when I accidentally dragged the scroll bar when trying to select t
A chanel strip that I realized that they added the scroll bar over the text if you had a long text ...... poor design then poor design now if what jiggery says is true and the annoyance is still there !!!!
Sure there are workarounds, but they caused the necessity of a workaround...too look stylish .....so they get a thumbs down from me for "poor scroll bar placement"

pjeudy

02 Nov 2015

craven wrote:
ScuzzyEye wrote:
yeah, but that was changed with the 8.3 update already, I actually have no issues with this so far, but my projects are usually small enough and don't require much scrolling in the mixer. Let's hope that future 8.x updates improve the workflow substantially.
my projects are usually 20 plus tracks because of buss chanels ect..... so for me trying to name a chanel and hitting
That scroll bar started with Reason 8 not a work flow improvement. But don't get me wrong it's not the end of the world...just annoying !

dvdrtldg

02 Nov 2015

joeyluck wrote:
+1

I've just spent the last five mins trying to work out what the problem was

jonheal

02 Nov 2015

I think 8.3.2 may start a tiny bit faster. Maybe.

Gaja

02 Nov 2015

[quote=]Apple Magic Trackpad 2 for the win![/quote]
does it offer all the same functionality on windows systems? Cause the trackpad 1 didn't.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

jonheal

02 Nov 2015

Bending the mouse wheel to the left or right is very uncomfortable, and too easy to click down, which the mouse wheel also does on my mouse. So for me, scrolling horizontally in Windows still means holding the Shift key down while rolling the mouse wheel.

Individuals like my older son, who has no fingers on his left hand, need not apply.

Creativemind

02 Nov 2015

I'm not sure what you guys are referring to. Can someone post a screen shot of said part of the mixer to demonstrate. So the part where your track is labelled is a bit taller as well?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

gak

02 Nov 2015

joeyluck wrote:
Exowildebeest wrote:

:x

pushedbutton

02 Nov 2015

I'm getting an error on installing the update.

MoveFile Failed, code 183
Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

A reboot seems to have fixed it.
Last edited by pushedbutton on 03 Nov 2015, edited 1 time in total.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

• Information