Anyone ever think of a possible Reason PRO?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mcatalao
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote: for exemple I struggle mixing any synth patch's in a song when volumes , freqs and eq's are not set for them already to be leveled with others more or less .
I'm very judicious about the usage of reverbs and delays. Most my projects go by with 2 or 3 reverbs maximum, maybe 1 long, 1 short and 1 for some special more hard effect. Usually a Uhbik A for the long, spring or plate reverb, and the Tsar-1 for a room. I might also go for a stereo or a convolution as a third one. But my take on reverbs in my genre of music, is using them to place sounds on their space, rather than a specific effect. So to maintain this character, sometimes the reverb on the patches is either too much, or too different than what i have on the song.

12 Dec 2015

jfrichards wrote:
deepndark wrote:...if you haven't downloaded my Thor refill yet - then here's what I've done with Thor...
I've always thought your sound design and song composition is top pro level, and the only thing missing in your body of work is a great singer. Your sound design is proof that Reason is pro. I love your idea that Reason tweakers should seriously consider how to make Reason easier to use. Certainly the FSB is big issue. I hope FSB 2 is as fabulous as the work by you and Ed Hydlide.
I like the Kraftwerk-esque singing - but I am a huge Kraftwerk fan so I am biased. I thought your voice suits the genre, deepndark :thumbs_up:

Stranger.

12 Dec 2015

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 20 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

CharlyCharlzz

12 Dec 2015

mcatalao wrote: I'm very judicious about the usage of reverbs and delays. Most my projects go by with 2 or 3 reverbs maximum, maybe 1 long, 1 short and 1 for some special more hard effect. Usually a Uhbik A for the long, spring or plate reverb, and the Tsar-1 for a room. I might also go for a stereo or a convolution as a third one. But my take on reverbs in my genre of music, is using them to place sounds on their space, rather than a specific effect. So to maintain this character, sometimes the reverb on the patches is either too much, or too different than what i have on the song.
never tryed Tsar for Room so I may just try that , good advices for me to use .
:clap:
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

thotbott

13 Dec 2015

zakalwe wrote: i assume people think louder is better and more pro.
(it is btw)
Thanks for the laugh this morning with this line :) squashed sounds are more pro, must explain the move by radio to r128 :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

thotbott

13 Dec 2015

Think people are seeing daws in the wrong light. Daws are like vsts, tools to craft a final product. Its like a blacksmith using a hammer and nothing else to make a masterpiece or a carpenter using just a wood chisel and nothing else. Every one should use multiple daws instruments etc because if t brings something extra to the table, its worth it. If something claims t be a one stop shop for music creation and sound design its the easy bake oven of production. Imho, reason is top for sound design, just because of the depth you can go into, which is limited by your own willingness to do so. But saying that, i donttry to limit myself to just reason when i know its lacking in other areas. I wouldnt use a hammer to cut wood, nor would i use a saw to put in nails into a wall. But you would have access to both if you are building a house, same should apply to music production

phasys

14 Dec 2015

deepndark wrote:
esselfortium wrote:
deepndark wrote:
joeyluck wrote:We have Reason Pro already. It's called Reason. The non-pro version is Reason Essentials ;)
Post your PRO music then.
What does "PRO music" mean to you, specifically?

Does it need to be registered with a PRO? :puf_smile:
i'm pretty good at minxing but comparing music with the RPOs like The Crystal Method or Hybrid never sounds like that. Remember when Liam Howlett from Prodigy said "Reason doesn't sound as good as the other DAWs. I actually agree!
LOL, when he said that, Reason was still on version 3 or 4.

K.Markov

14 Dec 2015

Korg Prophecy

Liam's comment:
"The Prophecy is one of the few things that produces big distortion as far as a ready-to-run synth goes. It's at its best on stage, though I've used it on just about every track on the new album so far. The programming is so open, it's great for resonant sweeps, and the ribbon is quite handy. You can also record filter changes over MIDI onto the Mac. There are so many different things you can do with it. It's not the type of keyboard I'd go to to start a song with -- it's better for distortion and feedback sounds. It's a shame it's only monophonic -- it's got some good string sounds. " (Sound On Sound septemper 1996)

And like usual he has changed his mind in another interview some years after...

"It`s Absolute Crap" He says this because it has only three good sounds on it and it is too expensive (even though he got it free). He says that if you buy a £900 pounds keyboard then you would expect to turn it on and play chords on it and possibly switch it to solo mode. You don`t expect it to be stuck in solo! What's the point in having a good string sound if you can't play chords with it.

lowpryo

14 Dec 2015

thotbott wrote:Think people are seeing daws in the wrong light. Daws are like vsts, tools to craft a final product. Its like a blacksmith using a hammer and nothing else to make a masterpiece or a carpenter using just a wood chisel and nothing else. Every one should use multiple daws instruments etc because if t brings something extra to the table, its worth it. If something claims t be a one stop shop for music creation and sound design its the easy bake oven of production. Imho, reason is top for sound design, just because of the depth you can go into, which is limited by your own willingness to do so. But saying that, i donttry to limit myself to just reason when i know its lacking in other areas. I wouldnt use a hammer to cut wood, nor would i use a saw to put in nails into a wall. But you would have access to both if you are building a house, same should apply to music production

I don't agree with this at all. The tools are the devices - mixer, EQs, compressors, distortions, FX, a sequencer, etc. A DAW is simply a workshop full of those tools, and each workshop might have different brands of those tools that all work slightly differently and excel in different areas, but they all are equipped with the same kinds of tools. and you definitely don't need multiple workshops to finish one project.

thotbott

14 Dec 2015

With the tool analogy. You would if they were speciaised workshops

deepndark

14 Dec 2015

phasys wrote:
deepndark wrote:
esselfortium wrote:
deepndark wrote:
joeyluck wrote:We have Reason Pro already. It's called Reason. The non-pro version is Reason Essentials ;)
Post your PRO music then.
What does "PRO music" mean to you, specifically?

Does it need to be registered with a PRO? :puf_smile:
i'm pretty good at minxing but comparing music with the RPOs like The Crystal Method or Hybrid never sounds like that. Remember when Liam Howlett from Prodigy said "Reason doesn't sound as good as the other DAWs. I actually agree!
LOL, when he said that, Reason was still on version 3 or 4.
True, with all the REs we shouldn't complain. And then the SSL EQ by the Propellerheads - they made a great EQ. It's that my meds make me a complaining zombie. :x

ambeant

14 Dec 2015

deepndark wrote:I have been thinking. Reason PRO - some of you propably would ask, isn't it PRO already? But yeah, if this version would make things better soundwise by taking out all the shit, that is in Reason right now and updating what is already there .... maybe ... it would be worth to do?

The Reason & Record worked so well when it was there, because it was limited. Now I have so much more because of the REs. I am really close sometimes, when I feel "this rocks" but I feel like Reason doesn't make it easy to make a sound I'm after. You?

Some of my standards of the whats professionally acceptable:
Can you hear the difference? Trust your ears...

My track using hardware synth and mastering to get rid of the flat noisy Reason sound:

CharlyCharlzz

15 Dec 2015

oh lol , me get Popcorns or something ....
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

thotbott

16 Dec 2015

Can i have some of that popcorn? Granted its as real as the so called "reason sound" :D

eXode

16 Dec 2015

eXode wrote:The mixing isn't my best (a bit unbalanced), but anyone dare to take a guess at when these were produced? (no cheating!) :)
Answer: They were produced with Reason 5 in 2011

Another example, the demo song for Zero, using Zero (duh) and Reason 8.

adfielding

16 Dec 2015

There's a lot of stuff that I'd like to see in Reason, but if you can't get a decent sound out of Reason these days then that's not the fault of the software. I'm not going to regurgitate some nonsense about how "the only limitation is yourself" or anything like that, but there's a very good reason I keep coming back to Reason for the major bulk of my production/mixing work despite using other software as part of my workflow.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

16 Dec 2015

eXode wrote:
eXode wrote:The mixing isn't my best (a bit unbalanced), but anyone dare to take a guess at when these were produced? (no cheating!) :)
Answer: They were produced with Reason 5 in 2011

(...)
Listen to this... It's a demo i did for Nucleus Soundlab Pantheon I refill.

The date in the RPS file i have here is 27-12-2008. I think i was working with reason 4 at the time. Pull your volume up, cause at that time i used to mix REALLY low volume!!!

BTW, this refill was synths only, most of it all Thor! So in its essence, even if you say, "Aaah but this sounds are from a refill!", well the fact is, they are all sounds from reason almost a decade ago, produced by a reason Synth, fully mixed inside of reason with the old 14:2 mixer and effects.

Its Amazing what Jeremy and his team did!
@Exode: Didn't you do some sounds for this one too??

I think Adam Fielding, did some too. Ahh and if you go to the older albums from Adam, he took really great sound from reason at that time! All his stuff was great inspiration for me when i started with reason. Adam, Tomatsu (another user that had a lot of RPS files in his reason profile when Propellerheads had a rps song section called the Song archive), and ED Bauman (Edited4Tv). I never understood why some of this guys didn't appear more on the reason demos (although Adam had a song on the R8 promos last year - Kudos for that album , amazing stuff!), because all of them did pure sound magic with those older reason versions. I mean, the juice was already there,

BTW, i found a folder in my old pc, with a bunch of RPS's from the oldest propellerheads site (i saw some of older Adam's stuff, that i don't know if these are from refills or from the site). I got back to those songs, i remembered how much fun it was to check other peoples stuff. I never learned so much as in that time.

adfielding

16 Dec 2015

mcatalao wrote:BTW, this refill was synths only, most of it all Thor! So in its essence, even if you say, "Aaah but this sounds are from a refill!", well the fact is, they are all sounds from reason almost a decade ago, produced by a reason Synth, fully mixed inside of reason with the old 14:2 mixer and effects.

Its Amazing what Jeremy and his team did!
@Exode: Didn't you do some sounds for this one too??

I think Adam Fielding, did some too. Ahh and if you go to the older albums from Adam, he took really great sound from reason at that time! All his stuff was great inspiration for me when i started with reason. Adam, Tomatsu (another user that had a lot of RPS files in his reason profile when Propellerheads had a rps song section called the Song archive), and ED Bauman (Edited4Tv). I never understood why some of this guys didn't appear more on the reason demos (although Adam had a song on the R8 promos last year - Kudos for that album , amazing stuff!), because all of them did pure sound magic with those older reason versions. I mean, the juice was already there,
Thanks! Yeah, I've worked on all of the Pantheon Refills. My personal favourite demo is probably "Further" from Pantheon II, which came out in... 2009, I think?

All Thor and native Reason 4 effects :)

Still, my favourite Reason sound designer is probably Tom Pritchard - no disrespect to anyone else, but I've been using his commercial Refills pretty solidly for the past five years or so. In a way, his patches have become a part of my signature sound. If I worked for PH, I would hire him in a heartbeat and get him to work on a FSB expansion.

CaliforniaBurrito

16 Dec 2015

Last edited by CaliforniaBurrito on 16 Jan 2016, edited 3 times in total.

chimp_spanner

16 Dec 2015

I posted this in Music a while ago but everything in this is Reason *except* for the strings and brass, which are Albion One. I designed all the sounds in Reason and then sequenced in Cubase as the sounds were being turned into a Kontakt instrument and I needed access to Albion. Otherwise I could've done everything Reason :)

**Edit: should add we've had some very busy/prolific composers and sound designers buying this stuff, including the guys over at Blizzard, and guys who have done some major trailer campaigns. So technically, they're using the sound of Reason and they just don't know it, mwuhahahah!

**Double edit: oh and stuff used, lots of Antidote, Zero, FM4, Malstrom, Noxious, Parsec, A-Series. I kitchen-sink'd it a bit!

adfielding

16 Dec 2015

chimp_spanner wrote:I posted this in Music a while ago but everything in this is Reason *except* for the strings and brass, which are Albion One. I designed all the sounds in Reason and then sequenced in Cubase as the sounds were being turned into a Kontakt instrument and I needed access to Albion. Otherwise I could've done everything Reason :)

Damn, that is NICE. I particularly love the snappy percussion in the second part, seriously this is top class. Though I can't say I'm totally surprised, haha! :)

esselfortium

16 Dec 2015

adfielding wrote:
chimp_spanner wrote:I posted this in Music a while ago but everything in this is Reason *except* for the strings and brass, which are Albion One. I designed all the sounds in Reason and then sequenced in Cubase as the sounds were being turned into a Kontakt instrument and I needed access to Albion. Otherwise I could've done everything Reason :)

Damn, that is NICE. I particularly love the snappy percussion in the second part, seriously this is top class. Though I can't say I'm totally surprised, haha! :)
Seconded. Those drums are huuuuuuge.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

MaxMustermann

17 Dec 2015

Pro is, to have a own Forum !

question! shit like reasonstation here?

hi, my Name is....

selig
RE Developer

17 Dec 2015

esselfortium wrote:
adfielding wrote:

Seconded. Those drums are huuuuuuge.
Lovely track but WOW, tons of low end here - loosing the rest of the spectrum in this mix!!!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

mcatalao
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2015

MaxMustermann wrote:Pro is, to have a own Forum !

question! shit like reasonstation here?

hi, my Name is....
????????? ???

• Information