Anyone ever think of a possible Reason PRO?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
dioxide

06 Dec 2015

odarmonix wrote:Remember when Liam made this silly statement ? Unsurprisingly not long after the release of AONO. The "inferior audio engine" myth is the only excuse he could find to avoid blaming himself for what is widely considered Prodigy's worst album.
I also remember him boasting that he was able to make half of the album from his bed. Probably not the best place to compose that kind of music!

joeyluck

06 Dec 2015

Are we talking about Reason 2.5 (Reason before plugins, audio recording, and advanced mixing capabilities) or are we talking about Reason 8?

Curious why the numerous developers who have ported their plugins have not come forward that their effects and instrument plugins do not sound as intended. Doesn't exist. Get over it.

Jagwah

06 Dec 2015

If you are trying to make dubstep 'in the box' with Reason - stop and give up, or - use the EMI with Massive. You can indeed create it, but the masses of tracks out there that are Pro that used Massive are on a different level entirely. The 'Cookie Monsta' sound is not at this level. Please refer to any of the many examples right here: https://www.youtube.com/user/RebellionOfficial/videos. So on this level Deepndark I am with you. Also, maybe try pro mastering if you haven't already?
deepndark wrote:My skills are actually not that bad and my opinion should really have more value than somone just starting out.

dan_g

06 Dec 2015

I love super flu. Seen them live a few times and have some tracks of them. Very nice Produktion and Great Sound. And when I read that They are reason Users a few years ago i was pretty impressed and felt even more love for this Programm.
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

Jagwah

06 Dec 2015

odarmonix wrote:
deepndark wrote:Remember when Liam Howlett from Prodigy said "Reason doesn't sound as good as the other DAWs. I actually agree!
Remember when Liam made this silly statement ? Unsurprisingly not long after the release of AONO. The "inferior audio engine" myth is the only excuse he could find to avoid blaming himself for what is widely considered Prodigy's worst album.
Always been disgusted by this statement and agree it was a cop out excuse, this was also his return from an extremely large hiatus lasting many years.

Aquila

06 Dec 2015

deepndark wrote:
Sorry but the sound of AONO was shit because of Reason. The music is actually good but the sound not as much.
Actually Liam only used Reason as a writing tool for the album. He still used his own studio gear when he produced AONO. Only a small percentage of sounds from Reason actually made it onto the album.

06 Dec 2015

deepndark wrote:
esselfortium wrote:
deepndark wrote:
esselfortium wrote:So... you're saying that because your music doesn't sound like experts, the tool is flawed? How is that anyone's fault but yours?

I mean, if that were really the case and Reason was the only thing holding you back, wouldn't there be tons of amateurs with amazing multi-million-dollar bedroom productions on every other DAW forum? Or is it just you who would be good enough if only the Reason sound wasn't cruelly holding you back from the stardom you deserve?
I have listened reason music since 2001 and i have never been as wowed as I would like to. My skills are actually not that bad and my opinion should really have more value than somone just starting out.
If, as you say, you've been listening to music produced in Reason since 2001 and are still not satisfied with anything you've heard, I don't know why you would still be using Reason. So, I actually don't believe you. I don't think you actually believe that any new feature in Reason 9, 10, or 20 could give you the magic bullet that would allow you to produce for Ke$ha and Justin Timberlake. You just like to complain. And so every month or so, you post your complaint again, in the hopes that someone will agree with you so that you can continue to blame your own shortcomings (whether perceived or real) on someone else. It's more comforting to complain about something that's out of your control, right?

Because let's be honest here. If you truly believed that Reason was why you haven't achieved stardom yet, you wouldn't still be using it after a decade and a half of complaints. You would have moved on a long time ago. I mean, at this point why wouldn't you be using a more "pro" tool that makes you sound better?
The Reason "quality" has been discussed millions times over the net already, which proves that there's something about it. I have been thinking to leave Reason many times and i may do that soon. I have trialed FL Studio and I liked how i sounded tbh. The "follow unperfections" was gone. And the reason why I have been using Reason was believeing it was because of me. Another reason, that some day I could put my finger on my own creations by using Reason. It never happened.
I think the reason we sometimes feel frustrated by DAWs is because they let us get so close to what we want to achieve musically but never enable us to get 100% of the way there (compared to using 4 track cassettes in the 80's) We invest a couple of thousand in software and hardware then try to compete with what we hear in the radio or in the clubs. The thing is those hits are never by and large produced by one guy with one piece of software.

They might start in Reason or FL or Logic but then the stems might get exported and some wizard engineer will do their magic with their 20 years of experience and 10's of 1000's of dollar's worth of plugins and outboard gear. A producer will add their own influence to make it sound like a current hit should. Then off to another studio for a mix wizard to do their thing, then off to a mastering wizard for a final spit and polish.

So what we are doing here is in our spare time try to play artist, engineer, producer, mixer, and mastering engineer and produce radio and club ready anthems that will have them raising their hands in the air like they just don't care. And all of this on a shoestring budget in suboptimal sonic environments with limited equipment (and with a marketing budget of zero trying to make ourselves heard above the millions of other EDM hobbyists doing this).

I'm sure it is possible to do this and I would encourage anyone to try if it is their passion but no matter if you use Reason, FL, Logic, or Pro Tools, it probably won't be easy.

But I'm not a pro or in the biz so I'm probably totally wrong and off the mark. I'm just in it for a bit of fun in my spare time. :D

selig
RE Developer

06 Dec 2015

I don't believe that talking about something proves it exists, but I digress.

If new filters and waveforms are all that it would take to make Reason sound "pro" to you, then maybe there are REs that have already fulfilled this sound for you?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Benedict
Competition Winner

06 Dec 2015

I stellar mix can't really ever save a poor performance. A stellar performance will however transcend a poor mix.

As for more expensive tools, pfft. No reason that a great performance can't be achieved with adequate gear - and yes everything in Reason (stock) is at least adequate.

Having other versions of Reason would seem a waste of Prps time as they try to keep different versions. As Selig says if you need better sounds then import them or back to my first point...

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

odarmonix

06 Dec 2015

deepndark wrote:Sorry but the sound of AONO was shit because of Reason. The music is actually good but the sound not as much. This album was better than the latest one they pushed out this year.
From what I could observe people haven't been complaining about AONO's sound quality, it's not exactly a case of an album that was ruined by poor mixing/mastering (and even if it were it wouldn't have been the gear's fault anyway). It was definitely more about the tracks themselves, the way they were written, etc ... I myself have mixed feelings about this album, I kinda like some of the synth sounds that were used in it, but the music itself just didn't sound like Prodigy to me when I heard it for the first time (and it still doesn't).

Tastes put aside, do you have any scientific proof to backup your claims about Reason's supposedly "inferior" sound ? I think you'd be taken more seriously by bringing up facts to prove your point instead of wasting your energy complaining about something you don't seem to fully understand. And no, "use your ears" isn't a valid argument here, we'd need something more reliable like the results of a properly done null test. :puf_wink:

jappe

06 Dec 2015

dioxide wrote:
odarmonix wrote:Remember when Liam made this silly statement ? Unsurprisingly not long after the release of AONO. The "inferior audio engine" myth is the only excuse he could find to avoid blaming himself for what is widely considered Prodigy's worst album.
I also remember him boasting that he was able to make half of the album from his bed. Probably not the best place to compose that kind of music!
I just had to google for bed studios :puf_bigsmile:

jam-s

06 Dec 2015

deepndark wrote:I have been thinking. Reason PRO - some of you propably would ask, isn't it PRO already? But yeah, if this version would make things better soundwise by taking out all the shit, that is in Reason right now and updating what is already there .... maybe ... it would be worth to do?

The Reason & Record worked so well when it was there, because it was limited. Now I have so much more because of the REs. I am really close sometimes, when I feel "this rocks" but I feel like Reason doesn't make it easy to make a sound I'm after. You?
Oh, it's this thread again. Have you been drinking again, deepndark? :mrgreen:

deepndark

06 Dec 2015

nooomy wrote:https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/music-talk-super-flu

These guys are very pro...

I got 25-30 songs signed at labels all around the globe, all songs made in reason.

just learn how to produce and stop blaming the program
EDIT: Foget about it. Reason is more than fine. I just need to put more weight on using it.
Last edited by deepndark on 06 Dec 2015, edited 1 time in total.

deepndark

06 Dec 2015

jam-s wrote:
deepndark wrote:I have been thinking. Reason PRO - some of you propably would ask, isn't it PRO already? But yeah, if this version would make things better soundwise by taking out all the shit, that is in Reason right now and updating what is already there .... maybe ... it would be worth to do?

The Reason & Record worked so well when it was there, because it was limited. Now I have so much more because of the REs. I am really close sometimes, when I feel "this rocks" but I feel like Reason doesn't make it easy to make a sound I'm after. You?
Oh, it's this thread again. Have you been drinking again, deepndark? :mrgreen:
Edit: Yes way too many beers. :puf_smile:

thotbott

07 Dec 2015

A bad workman blames his tools. If you cant get the sound you want, study more. There is a long list of top artists who use reason. You can get the sound you want in reason, if you know how to. Its like a sculpter saying the rock or clay is bad because he cant sculpt michalanglos david

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Skullture

07 Dec 2015

deepndark wrote:
joeyluck wrote:We have Reason Pro already. It's called Reason. The non-pro version is Reason Essentials ;)
Post your PRO music then.

made on Reason (pre version 6)

Now run to a different forum boy ;)

deepndark

07 Dec 2015

Hey people, lets move on please. And to those who say learn Reason, here's one of my best shot so far: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13093889
Yup, not bad. I know what is my real problem. It's my own demand to top myself. Used to do music for fun 5 years ago, but it got too serious.

Skullture, that tune was good indeed.

CharlyCharlzz

07 Dec 2015

a Reason without all the share and loop bs ?!?! I take it LOL

I did not upgrade and will not do I think , my 7.1 is slow and a cpu killer but I'm done fallowing like a ANT .
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

deepndark

07 Dec 2015

BTW, your lets follow Lunesis board instead was kinda ghey. :puf_bigsmile:

Alkua

07 Dec 2015

deepndark wrote:
esselfortium wrote:
deepndark wrote:
joeyluck wrote:We have Reason Pro already. It's called Reason. The non-pro version is Reason Essentials ;)
What does "PRO music" mean to you, specifically?

Does it need to be registered with a PRO? :puf_smile:
i'm pretty good at minxing but comparing music with the RPOs like The Crystal Method or Hybrid never sounds like that. Remember when Liam Howlett from Prodigy said "Reason doesn't sound as good as the other DAWs. I actually agree!
I just found this old article: "Liam Howlett of Prodigy explains why Reason, to him, is the best thing since sliced bread."

https://www.propellerheads.se/substance ... am-howlett

deepndark

07 Dec 2015

Alkua wrote:
deepndark wrote:
esselfortium wrote:
deepndark wrote:

i'm pretty good at minxing but comparing music with the RPOs like The Crystal Method or Hybrid never sounds like that. Remember when Liam Howlett from Prodigy said "Reason doesn't sound as good as the other DAWs. I actually agree!
I just found this old article: "Liam Howlett of Prodigy explains why Reason, to him, is the best thing since sliced bread."

I already know that article. Anyway, do a search to another article written after that one. He said he doesn't want to promote Reason anymore, because almost all the other DAWs sound better.

CharlyCharlzz

07 Dec 2015

deepndark wrote:BTW, your lets follow Lunesis board instead was kinda ghey. :puf_bigsmile:

aint nothing like that , Luni is a bro LOL

I also pushed peoples to Lunesis Forum at the time so we can be a all bunch in here but things turned out that FB is the only place to be since discover :mrgreen: LOL

Alkua

07 Dec 2015

deepndark wrote:
Alkua wrote:
deepndark wrote:
esselfortium wrote:
deepndark wrote:

I already know that article. Anyway, do a search to another article written after that one. He said he doesn't want to promote Reason anymore, because almost all the other DAWs sound better.
I don't understand what you "Sound Better"

NN-XT is a sampler and the quality of the sound depend how the sample was record.
Thor is still a very good Synth.
Reason record 24bit and 96k+

I think:

Softube REs, Rob Papen REs, MCDSP REs, ect... have the same quality of others version

Antidote,Parsec, Zero, and Oberon are really good Synth

With the time Reason will have more and more.

Reason Need to add the features that are missing, but sound wise, Reason has Pro sound.

CharlyCharlzz

07 Dec 2015

I buyed the hydronoxious synth and it confirmed to me something , Reason got the worst soundbanks in every synths and modules so it is a pain to mix all the way , in other daws you get vst's from NI or spectrasonic with patch's that are easy to mix because I lot of patch's got similar sounding settings on stuff like reverbs and volumes so choosing a patch on the fly of a beat making get's easy .

Predator and hydronoxious is a bit like that , you get series of patch's that mix well with others but try to mix a korg polysix patch that is all dry it's not easy when you are not used to it and your in for a long mixing .

I sayed this for a long time but nobody agreed because dry sounds are so cool to them .

joeyluck

07 Dec 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:I buyed the hydronoxious synth and it confirmed to me something , Reason got the worst soundbanks in every synths and modules so it is a pain to mix all the way , in other daws you get vst's from NI or spectrasonic with patch's that are easy to mix because I lot of patch's got similar sounding settings on stuff like reverbs and volumes so choosing a patch on the fly of a beat making get's easy .

Predator and hydronoxious is a bit like that , you get series of patch's that mix well with others but try to mix a korg polysix patch that is all dry it's not easy when you are not used to it and your in for a long mixing .

I sayed this for a long time but nobody agreed because dry sounds are so cool to them .
This is why I typically disable and don't use internal effects and use FX sends.
If you think two synths mix well together simply because they have patches with their own reverbs applied; wait until you mix a song using the same reverb on things. So much more cohesive. You can of course still use different levels of dry/wetness per channel and pan the effect per channel.

• Information