Anyone ever think of a possible Reason PRO?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Stranger.

08 Dec 2015

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 20 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

thotbott

08 Dec 2015

The thing with the workstations etc sounding so good is i think reason cant handle the massive size of the sample banks at this moment. I mean if you look at the project sam vst they are around the 15-20 gig+ libraries. When reason can handle the larger banks the sounds will get closer and closer to what people are looking for

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 Dec 2015

thotbott wrote:The thing with the workstations etc sounding so good is i think reason cant handle the massive size of the sample banks at this moment. I mean if you look at the project sam vst they are around the 15-20 gig+ libraries. When reason can handle the larger banks the sounds will get closer and closer to what people are looking for

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Korg Triton has something like only 64mb of samples. The key is in the sound design and effects.

PhutureD

08 Dec 2015

dan_g wrote:I think the daw doesent make pro music. Its the User and his knowledge.
totally agree and i can tell why , there are probably millions of more musicians not making "pro" music with other Daws than with reason. i was one of them. Now after short time im entering contests after making tracks very very quickly, sometimes less than a day or two , in Reason, which is not possible for me in other softwares. Already i have been contacted By Jenz of unique Sound records who would love to release most of my Techno tracks on his label ,yesterday Speedsound Records has mailed me twice asking me to send me a particular remix I made .......... in Reason
Below are 4 tracks i have made in one month and i plan on doing at least another one or two tracks before the year ends. this is all in my spare time after working 8 - 16 hour shifts per day. You need to want to know how things work and use the tools at hand. imagine michaelangelo or leonardo complaining about the fact that they used candles to illuminate the scene they were working on , their inferior tools , working conditions etc. They would get no work done. or any past artists/inventors complaining about the tools which they had. if they didnt have it , they made it , same with software, Reason is a powerful modular ( and stable ) environment in which to work. Yes i also whish that it could do this, that and the other but would it be as fun? i would rather have everything slap-bang in front of me and be able to see where those cables are going ,than having to navigate window panes and hidden menus and trying to figure out where in the matrix all the signals are leading to. i also use reaper sometimes , i have a crapload of vsts's , some of them good ones, i have Hybrid ,Reaktor, kontakt , guitar rig but 99% of my work gets done in reason. i cant wait to get out of reaper ( that is if i land up there in the first place) and back into reason once I have exported all my my loops. sequencing in reason is extremely quick and as i mentioned before ,fun. I made all of these in the last month, You judge by the sound and time spent on these tracks whether or not reason is capable or not. Surely I can spend more time on a piece of work and make it perfect but i would rather get it in the ballpark of where i need to be and move on to the next track. If its good enough for the people who enjoy listening to what i make , then it;good enough for me.
have u had a look at the Tutorial on nucleus soundlab website or the ton of free lessons posted by hydlide , Ned Rush, Dj Lucky Date or even Malleus etc on you tube? There is shitloads of videos on youtube on reason by users just like us who decided to take the time and figure out how things work. Sometimes ,in my case most of the time, more than 50% i get lucky because i try things out . you cant break it. Just do it.

Marco Raaphorst

08 Dec 2015

Many amateurs want a pro sound thesedays. Back in the day anyone doing 4-track demo's sounded like a amateur.

Noplan
Competition Winner

08 Dec 2015

Never blame your DAW for your own faults.

XysteR

08 Dec 2015

deepndark wrote:
esselfortium wrote:
deepndark wrote:
joeyluck wrote:We have Reason Pro already. It's called Reason. The non-pro version is Reason Essentials ;)
Post your PRO music then.
What does "PRO music" mean to you, specifically?

Does it need to be registered with a PRO? :puf_smile:
i'm pretty good at minxing but comparing music with the RPOs like The Crystal Method or Hybrid never sounds like that. Remember when Liam Howlett from Prodigy said "Reason doesn't sound as good as the other DAWs. I actually agree!
I disagree. Liam predominantly works with sample loops, so that throws his comment completely out of the window - He's also grossly contradicted himself, as I recall him saying a long time ago that no DAW has a sound as such, which is true! It's all down to the users skills. The 'sound' (or what i'd call polish) comes from the feel you or the mix engineer put into the mix, and the mastering engineers mark plays a big role too. This is the bit you're talking about. It is difficult to be a jack of all trades in music production. There are hundreds of Reason users out there, who's work stands alongside anything I've heard in the charts but that's another problem. The internet is swamped with people who make music, and it's very difficult to get noticed these days. The bar has never been set higher than it is today.

** EDIT I've just read through most posts in this thread. I could f*cking explode with frustration! lol**

XysteR

08 Dec 2015

.... PhutureD

nuff sed!

Awesome stuff dude!

chk071

08 Dec 2015

The way i see it, Liam Howlett switched to Reason when he had creative constipation using Cubase, and he quit using Reason when he got creative constipation using that. Plus a lot of drugs problems and what not, which makes me think that his motivation to make music faded in general with the years. Not that i ever liked the Prodigy much, but that's just my personal opinion. At least, i wouldn't take what he has to say about different DAW's very serious. Wonder why he said that about Reason though, Looks to me that it would be the perfect playground for his kind of music, because it's a lot sample and loop based.
:reason: :rebirth:

deepndark

09 Dec 2015

It's like part of my brains are cursed - which leads critisizing Reason sound (and lots of the other things in my life). And my music is actually high standard stuff but I still cry. Boo Me! :D

Stranger.

09 Dec 2015

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 20 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

deepndark

10 Dec 2015

Stranger. wrote:
deepndark wrote:It's like part of my brains are cursed - which leads critisizing Reason sound (and lots of the other things in my life). And my music is actually high standard stuff but I still cry. Boo Me! :D
Lol- are we not all 'cursed' with 1 thing or another? :o Try not to be so hard on yourself,i think your doing very well productionally. :D

TBTH- i have to agree with the " :re:ason sound" theory- because in practical use,when each device and factory sound is examined in detail,there is indeed a range of tones/fx that are unique to :re:ason.

Be it the qaulity of the samples/loops or the character of a particular device/:re:,if every user used exactely the same sounds and settings and songs then it does have a qaulity of it's own-- some are liking it,others may feel it lacks --somewhere---- only 'they know.
Some users spend vast amounts for a certain range of tones that unique device or plug-in can make.

I personally find many :re:ason users make really really great music just using stock plugs etc-- again,it's all a matter of listener's tastes of tones.

Putting all into a relative form- go study 1 of the most influencial/highest grossing band/artists of all times--The Beatles-- http://www.therichest.com/expensive-lif ... /?view=all-
Go have a close listen to their 'greatest hits'-- you will find a big difference in sound levels/clarity etc etc than most modern music makers,but they prove it not only takes 1 man/woman to go platinum-=- it took a team of co-ordinated efforts and skill sets to make billions.

R.I.P. sound myths *Power* to the creators and the amazing creations they have created! Thanks to all of them!
Thanks bro for posting this, cheered me up! Yeah, well, I think if you want a different sound with Reason, you need to do something differently than how you usually mix and compose. And it requires to learn a method to get there. But people don't want it to be too hard to get the sound they're after. As example, would you use the Reason's vocoder in 8-band mode to do radical EQing to most of the sounds, all of the time when mixing? Or maybe the SSL EQ instead. Do you feel like you know the tools well enough, even if you already make some very good shit? But if someone would ask you, that "Make a song that sounds like Timbaland" - how close you'd get and how much work would it require? I do well enough with my music so I may know stuff about Reason. :geek:

zakalwe

10 Dec 2015

I'd say if you want a 'pro DAW sound' just get renoise and observe the impressive red-line abuse it can take, despite its single precision summing.

i assume people think louder is better and more pro.

(it is btw)

Marco Raaphorst

10 Dec 2015

All historical hiphop stuff and electro is done on cheap budget machines will low rate sampling etc.

It was never about the tools. And never about imitation. I have an old shit ass synth, the DX100. Sounded like shit compared to DX7 but it's now more of a classic than the DX7. Anything goes, just be creative.

10 Dec 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:All historical hiphop stuff and electro is done on cheap budget machines will low rate sampling etc.

It was never about the tools. And never about imitation. I have an old shit ass synth, the DX100. Sounded like shit compared to DX7 but it's now more of a classic than the DX7. Anything goes, just be creative.
And now we purposely use tools like D16 Decimort to give us that retro vibe!

I think its also about community, scene, and networking. I guess that's why artists move to places like Berlin - there is a scene that you can plug into with your music and have a better chance getting noticed.

Marco Raaphorst

10 Dec 2015

Scene might be nice. I never felt part of a scene I must say. I grew up playing jazz and that shifted my perspective a lot. I am not a pure jazzo. I am not a rocker. I have never felt I should do one style. I am very broughtly oriented. I have played Brazilian music. Et cetera. But for most people I guess a scene can feel like home.

jfrichards

10 Dec 2015

I dare you critics of Reason to go through every one of these patches and then tell me Reason is not pro:

http://www.reasonexperts.com/refills-an ... son-5.html

But you better be ready for the truth about you...

mcatalao
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:I buyed the hydronoxious synth and it confirmed to me something , Reason got the worst soundbanks in every synths and modules so it is a pain to mix all the way , in other daws you get vst's from NI or spectrasonic with patch's that are easy to mix because I lot of patch's got similar sounding settings on stuff like reverbs and volumes so choosing a patch on the fly of a beat making get's easy .

Predator and hydronoxious is a bit like that , you get series of patch's that mix well with others but try to mix a korg polysix patch that is all dry it's not easy when you are not used to it and your in for a long mixing .

I sayed this for a long time but nobody agreed because dry sounds are so cool to them .
Yeah on the other hand I would prefer some of their patches were not so wet, cause its really hard to mix them with other stuff. I end up loosing more time removing delay and reverb from them. I understand these are part of the design of the sound but they sound great per se, but not on the mix.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2015

Deep dark, it is not in the artist's nature to be satisfied with his own work. Music and sound are not black and white defined things where you say something is great because it goes by a set of standards or agreed prepositnons.

I also don't agree with the pro term. There was this time where if you had pro in the name of a product it was only to call for more people and ask for more money, but the product was the same rubbish. Reason why so much behringer and maudio had so many "pro" named stuff. There isn't such a thing, the pro sound. Sound starts at your hands ans vocals and instruments and mics and pres and samples and synths and patchs, the way you put them together to make a song, then the way you mix them, and the way you finalize it. And reason excels in all of this.

deepndark

12 Dec 2015

mcatalao wrote:Deep dark, it is not in the artist's nature to be satisfied with his own work.
Seems to be true. The older i get, the less I can wow myself it seems.
But I have decided to not blame Reason anymore. I thought that Reason and Record combo was everything I need - and Reason is even better now so.
I have to get my attitude back. :cool:

deepndark

12 Dec 2015

jfrichards wrote:I dare you critics of Reason to go through every one of these patches and then tell me Reason is not pro:

The truth about me? :mrgreen:

CharlyCharlzz

12 Dec 2015

mcatalao wrote:
Yeah on the other hand I would prefer some of their patches were not so wet, cause its really hard to mix them with other stuff. I end up loosing more time removing delay and reverb from them. I understand these are part of the design of the sound but they sound great per se, but not on the mix.
I love to work with dry sounds but I just find it more easy this way , now I anderstand very well that I should use a bus reveb to simply get this result with dry stuff .

when I look for patch 's I look for things that integrate well into my song but I am shure dry samples is the Pro way since I rather use dry the few times I did video dub .

the part where I say Reason SB is one of the worst is not tru when I think about it , I just like kits that goes well with other kits .
still I think from now I will try to use one reverb insted of 20 LOL .

for exemple I struggle mixing any synth patch's in a song when volumes , freqs and eq's are not set for them already to be leveled with others more or less .
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

jfrichards

12 Dec 2015

deepndark wrote:
jfrichards wrote:I dare you critics of Reason to go through every one of these patches and then tell me Reason is not pro:

Well the truth about you Heikki is that you are too f*#king good to be whining about Reason. What I understand about your original post is that you want Reason to be EASIER to use, not more PRO. I agree with that. Easier is better. My point here is that Ed Hydlide has made Reason deeper and more pro with his Reactor-refill, and has made it easier to get many of the modern pro sounds for those of us who are not the great programmer that he is. Have you scrolled through his sounds? WOW!!

deepndark

12 Dec 2015

jfrichards wrote:
deepndark wrote:

Well the truth about you Heikki is that you are too f*#king good to be whining about Reason. What I understand about your original post is that you want Reason to be EASIER to use, not more PRO. I agree with that. Easier is better. My point here is that Ed Hydlide has made Reason deeper and more pro with his Reactor-refill, and has made it easier to get many of the modern pro sounds for those of us who are not the great programmer that he is. Have you scrolled through his sounds? WOW!!
You are a real gentleman frichards - some people want to cut the head off, but you are always so friendly. I admire people who are like that.
Anyway, I'll download the refill you linked to, thanks!
And if you haven't downloaded my Thor refill yet - then here's what I've done with Thor: http://www.reasonheads.net/downloads/Do ... Refill.zip

jfrichards

12 Dec 2015

deepndark wrote:...if you haven't downloaded my Thor refill yet - then here's what I've done with Thor...
I've always thought your sound design and song composition is top pro level, and the only thing missing in your body of work is a great singer. Your sound design is proof that Reason is pro. I love your idea that Reason tweakers should seriously consider how to make Reason easier to use. Certainly the FSB is big issue. I hope FSB 2 is as fabulous as the work by you and Ed Hydlide.

• Information