What is the Point of Recycle?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
PhutureD

14 Dec 2015

Ive been making Rex loops for the past two days in my spare time, been working on a remix. You can find details here - http://www.euroforix.com/remix-contests/
I asked myself - "is recycle necessary at this point"? I find Reason capable of making some decent Rex files ,with lots of control over hitpoints as well a the timing. I suppose for non- reason users it might be necessary, and i say "might" because the rex as well as refill format do not seem very popular as other formats are such as Acid and wave. Judging by the price tag, if i were "put off ' by recycle for $299/$199 (if my memory serves me correctly ) if I could obtain a copy of Reason essentials for a quarter of the price?. Now i speak under correction but cant Reason essentials also make rex loops from audio clips? I cannot do a comparison right now because whenever I go to Propshop , my Pc crashes ....... every time and without fail. Of course that is not the Reason for not making any purchases recently and would not be off-putting ,especially if there is a good deal happening, ,but it would make perfect sense to me that if i were looking for a more affordable way to make Rex loops , without have to fork out the cash for recycle, (even when it is half price) to get Reason essentials. Okay so i just took a chance now and checked....very carefully.... indeed it seems that Reason essentials does support making Rex files. Just thought that i would point that out to anyone who wants to make Rex files and does not want to pay the full price for recycle because , i think that the way one can edit the hit points and drag the individual hits left or right is actually better for me than the way that Recycle handles hit points.
im just kicking myself in the arse now for not taking advantage of at least one more refilll for sale.I slightly regret not spending any more money this year. I hope that next year things become a bit more stable on on this side of the world coz our exchange rate to the dollar just increased by 150% overnight!! Im sure my calculations are correct. Last week it was approximately 10 to 1 to the dollar , today it is 15 - 1 to the dollar, and pound sterling is 22 - 1 Bummer. Anycase happy Reasoning!:)

decibel

14 Dec 2015

i recon they should add the full version of recycle as part of the next upgrade to licensed reason users and keep a version for sale to non reason users in the shop ;)

True

14 Dec 2015

I'm not sure I completely get what you're asking, but Props has stated that ReCycle remains for sale to professionals who need it but don't own Reason.

A user's comparison can be found here: http://reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4 ... 72#p230352

PhutureD

14 Dec 2015

point is the price difference between Recycle and Reason essentials. As i have said that Reason is capable of making Rex loops ,just the same or even better , than Recycle, and essentials can too. So why pay the full price for recycle" even when on sale it is still 2 times the price of essentials. Just pointing out , if anyone had not noticed.

PhutureD

14 Dec 2015

True wrote:I'm not sure I completely get what you're asking, but Props has stated that ReCycle remains for sale to professionals who need it but don't own Reason.

A user's comparison can be found here: http://reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4 ... 72#p230352
Allow me to ask in another way - why would you buy a product which can only do one thing, as opposed to buying a cheaper product , which can do much , much more, made by the same company as well as what the more expensive product can do?

True

14 Dec 2015

PhutureD wrote:Allow me to ask in another way - why would you buy a product which can only do one thing, as opposed to buying a cheaper product , which can do much , much more, made by the same company as well as what the more expensive product can do?
I believe the link I provided will answer much if not all of that question.

normen

14 Dec 2015

PhutureD wrote:Allow me to ask in another way - why would you buy a product which can only do one thing, as opposed to buying a cheaper product , which can do much , much more, made by the same company as well as what the more expensive product can do?
Like a typewriter vs a laptop? Typewriters didn't instantly die when computers became affordable because some people just want to write letters/books/whatever instead of coping with something called "Windows" or "MacOS". If you just want to create REX files using Reason for that is quite a hassle, much much easier with ReCycle.

raccoonboy

14 Dec 2015

PhutureD wrote:
True wrote:I'm not sure I completely get what you're asking, but Props has stated that ReCycle remains for sale to professionals who need it but don't own Reason.

Allow me to ask in another way - why would you buy a product which can only do one thing, as opposed to buying a cheaper product , which can do much , much more, made by the same company as well as what the more expensive product can do?
But Reason is like 200 euros more!

PhutureD

15 Dec 2015

raccoonboy wrote:
PhutureD wrote:

Reason Essentials is much less than Recycle when it is on sale.

raccoonboy

15 Dec 2015

PhutureD wrote:
raccoonboy wrote:
PhutureD wrote:

Reason Essentials is much less than Recycle when it is on sale.
Hmmm. Well Recycle still has a few features that Reason doesn't.

EnochLight

15 Dec 2015

PhutureD wrote: Reason Essentials is much less than Recycle when it is on sale.
Yet Reason and Essentials are both missing:
  • Adjust slice marker sensitivity
  • Zoom into the wave you're working on full screen
  • Detect BPM to the degree of .001
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

gak

15 Dec 2015

Recycle?

Al Gore approved!

raccoonboy

15 Dec 2015

EnochLight wrote:
PhutureD wrote: Reason Essentials is much less than Recycle when it is on sale.
Yet Reason and Essentials are both missing:
  • Adjust slice marker sensitivity
  • Zoom into the wave you're working on full screen
  • Detect BPM to the degree of .001
Also sounds silly but it's cool how in recycle you can click one one clip and drag to the right to play the other clips without having to click individually.

Also changing stretch amoun etc I don't think is possible in Reason.

Quick question btw. How is it possible to move a marker in Reason to another 0 crossing. When I try move the marker it warps the audio (I'm quite new to reason and have barely used the sequencer so far).

EnochLight

15 Dec 2015

raccoonboy wrote:Quick question btw. How is it possible to move a marker in Reason to another 0 crossing. When I try move the marker it warps the audio (I'm quite new to reason and have barely used the sequencer so far).
To reposition a Slice Marker without stretching the audio, proceed as follows:
  • You might want to turn off Snap to be able to position the Slice Marker more precisely.
  • 1. Place the Selection Tool (Arrow) on a Slice Marker or Slice Marker Handle. The arrow switches to a double-arrow symbol.
  • 2. Hold down [Ctrl](Win] or [Option](Mac) and click and move the Slice Marker sideways.
  • You cannot move Slice Markers past their closest adjacent Slice Markers.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

raccoonboy

15 Dec 2015

EnochLight wrote:
raccoonboy wrote:Quick question btw. How is it possible to move a marker in Reason to another 0 crossing. When I try move the marker it warps the audio (I'm quite new to reason and have barely used the sequencer so far).
  • You might want to turn off Snap to be able to position the Slice Marker more precisely.
  • 1. Place the Selection Tool (Arrow) on a Slice Marker or Slice Marker Handle. The arrow switches to a double-arrow symbol.
  • 2. Hold down [Ctrl](Win] or [Option](Mac) and click and move the Slice Marker sideways.

hmmm doesn't seem to work for me. holding down command changes to the speaker and plays the clip. Have tried cntrl, alt and shift, still no luck.

EnochLight

15 Dec 2015

raccoonboy wrote:
EnochLight wrote:

hmmm doesn't seem to work for me. holding down command changes to the speaker and plays the clip. Have tried cntrl, alt and shift, still no luck.
Works fine for me. I'm holding down CTRL while I do this:

gak

15 Dec 2015

works fine here win10/8.3.2

plaamook

16 Dec 2015

They have Recycle lite in Reason. But then in Recycle you can't quantise the audio. So the whole thing is split. It's ridiculous.
I'm glad I own both from way back so I don't have to ask myself these questions.
Bottom line? Both art good IMO but full integration in both directions would be better.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

raccoonboy

16 Dec 2015

EnochLight wrote:
raccoonboy wrote:
EnochLight wrote:

Works fine for me. I'm holding down CTRL while I do this:

:( Damn, this doesn't work. Any Mac users around? I'm the latest version also.

Edit: Got it working now. It is Option. I tried this earlier but couldn't get it to work, but I think it's cause I had snap on. Turning Snap off and using Option key works :D

So I'm guessing snap to Zero crossing is also not an option in Reason

EnochLight

16 Dec 2015

raccoonboy wrote:Edit: Got it working now. It is Option. I tried this earlier but couldn't get it to work, but I think it's cause I had snap on. Turning Snap off and using Option key works :D
Yes, hence my instructions to turn snap off before trying... ;) With snap on, it will "snap" to the closest time marker and is dependant on what you have that set at.
raccoonboy wrote:So I'm guessing snap to Zero crossing is also not an option in Reason
The image below demonstrates zero crossing as far as I understand it:
576px-Zero_crossing.svg.png
576px-Zero_crossing.svg.png (16.97 KiB) Viewed 2578 times
I was able to move the slice marker before and past the zero crossing of each waveform trough and crest (see the video above). Unless I'm not understanding what you mean by zero crossing?
Last edited by EnochLight on 16 Dec 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Marco Raaphorst

16 Dec 2015

ReCycle can change the attack of the slices (unfortunately not per slice) and set the stretch to something like 0% or 100% and anything in between. Reason does standard REX-files which is fine I guess in most situations.

ReCycle lacks one serious thing, Reason is winning: You can not check a ReCycle file using ReCycle against a click track. This is a super huge bummer because you want to use ReCycle loops for rhythmic material but you can not test it against a beat, not even a click track. So yeah, Reason is much better for rolling REX-loops.

selig
RE Developer

16 Dec 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:ReCycle can change the attack of the slices (unfortunately not per slice) and set the stretch to something like 0% or 100% and anything in between. Reason does standard REX-files which is fine I guess in most situations.

ReCycle lacks one serious thing, Reason is winning: You can not check a ReCycle file using ReCycle against a click track. This is a super huge bummer because you want to use ReCycle loops for rhythmic material but you can not test it against a beat, not even a click track. So yeah, Reason is much better for rolling REX-loops.
Pardon my misunderstanding of your point here, but…

Why are you needing to check ReCycle against a click? If you're making loops then I would assume you either A) already know the integrity of the source material, timing wise or B) are slicing up audio from an outside source which you have chosen based on (among other things) it's integrity.

Either way, what would you do IF you didn't like what you heard when compared to a click? What options are available for audio in Reason that aren't available in ReCycle as concerns lining up with the click?

I would assume folks are slicing audio files that they have already "tested" against a click, no (or created themselves quantized to a click)? Besides that, one point of REX files is that you can quantize them after the fact, so again, what does 'testing against a click' accomplish?

I only ask because I've been a ReCycle user since the very first version and this "omission" has never occurred to me.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

16 Dec 2015

selig wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:ReCycle can change the attack of the slices (unfortunately not per slice) and set the stretch to something like 0% or 100% and anything in between. Reason does standard REX-files which is fine I guess in most situations.

Pardon my misunderstanding of your point here, but…

Why are you needing to check ReCycle against a click? If you're making loops then I would assume you either A) already know the integrity of the source material, timing wise or B) are slicing up audio from an outside source which you have chosen based on (among other things) it's integrity.

Either way, what would you do IF you didn't like what you heard when compared to a click? What options are available for audio in Reason that aren't available in ReCycle as concerns lining up with the click?

I would assume folks are slicing audio files that they have already "tested" against a click, no (or created themselves quantized to a click)? Besides that, one point of REX files is that you can quantize them after the fact, so again, what does 'testing against a click' accomplish?

I only ask because I've been a ReCycle user since the very first version and this "omission" has never occurred to me.
:)
Because the first thing ReCycle will ask you is move the first locator the the first wave/slice. This can result in a change of timing. And also when the 2nd bar of the loop doesn't fall perfectly on the beat you might hear a super heavy click when swicthing to another loop.

So yeah I would love to hear the loop I am working on against something else, like a click track.

raccoonboy

16 Dec 2015

EnochLight wrote:
Yes, hence my instructions to turn snap off before trying... ;) With snap on, it will "snap" to the closest time marker and is dependant on what you have that set at.
My bad. Missed that one :P
EnochLight wrote: The image below demonstrates zero crossing as far as I understand it:
576px-Zero_crossing.svg.png
I was able to move the slice marker before and past the zero crossing of each waveform trough and crest (see the video above). Unless I'm not understanding what you mean by zero crossing?
Yes that's what I mean by zero crossing. However in Recycle when you move the sliders they 'snaps' to the zero crossings to avoid clicks and pops. It's a time saving thing so you don't need to zoom in and do it manually, but if you want you can hold down command (I think) and you can drop the slice anywhere as in your video above. It's a pretty cool feature.

EnochLight

16 Dec 2015

raccoonboy wrote:Yes that's what I mean by zero crossing. However in Recycle when you move the sliders they 'snaps' to the zero crossings to avoid clicks and pops. It's a time saving thing so you don't need to zoom in and do it manually, but if you want you can hold down command (I think) and you can drop the slice anywhere as in your video above. It's a pretty cool feature.
OK, I understand now. Yeah, no automatic 0-point feature in Reason (I guess they're still trying to offer some advantages in full-ReCycle).

• Information