OSX - Libraries cache folder is huge!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
philosurfer

06 Jan 2016

I was running out of Drive space on my MBP and during cleanup I noticed that Reason had a 12Gb cache file in the ~/Libraries/Caches/Reason folder

I nuked it and things are running about twice as fast. DSP is down about 20-30%

Why would the be? could a corrupted cache be causing DSP issues?

* scratches head...

SoulState

06 Jan 2016

I can't even find Reason's cache folder to nuke : (

iMac: OS Maverick: Reason 8
:reason:

philosurfer

06 Jan 2016

open terminal:

cd ~/Library/Caches

then to get the folder size:

du -sh Reason/

To remove it, make sure Reason is closed.. then:

rm -Rf ~/Library/Caches/Reason/

SoulState

07 Jan 2016

Followed your tip: My Reason cache was over 5Gb!
Been trying to make room in my hard drive and this has helped cheers!

How come this kinda stuff is not common computer knowledge?!! : /
Btw What is cache (Reason's) anyway?

Thanks

Stranger.

07 Jan 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 20 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

normen

07 Jan 2016

I suggest downloading "Onyx" for OSX and running it about each month. Does some jobs OSX does in the background or at night in a more concise manner, also allows deleting such caches.

eox

07 Jan 2016

I must have done something wrong in the terminal as it just deleted nearly everything :shock: . Practically all the documents where my reason songs were saved and all of my reaper songs. I'm now attempting to recover these files.

--with that being said, anyone have any idea how I may possibly recover these files?

normen

07 Jan 2016

eox wrote:I must have done something wrong in the terminal as it just deleted nearly everything :shock: . Practically all the documents where my reason songs were saved and all of my reaper songs. I'm now attempting to recover these files.

--with that being said, anyone have any idea how I may possibly recover these files?
As you used the terminal with "rm -rf" I guess you're at a loss here, unless you have a time machine disk connected (which you should, its too easy to not use it)

Old joke in the Linux community - "Got a problem? Try 'rm -rf /'!" - which deletes your whole disk.

eox

07 Jan 2016

Ah yes lol. I am still very new to Mac in general. Yeah I'm attempting to do a deep file restoration and if that doesn't work then lesson learned on my end!

SoulState

07 Jan 2016

Sorry to here of your mishap mate!
Gotta say you're being very calm and philosophical about the whole thing.

If I had read your post earlier, I would have never tried doing the Terminal thing!
Didn't realise it could be so fatal!!! Lesson learned indeed. : /

Stranger.

07 Jan 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 20 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

normen

07 Jan 2016

Stranger. wrote:Does mac not have any type of 'restore point' function like windows?
If your going to make any moves that could potentially wipe data "forever" -this function is really usefull sometimes...
Time Machine gives you full backups for each hour if you have it activated. The normal "restore points" of windows won't help you either if you deleted your folders via the command line.

eox

08 Jan 2016

Yeah I was really bummed and in shock at first but this machine is not my main recording machine so I wasn't as devastated. Then again I have experienced 2 major hard drive crashes over the years and I've learned from my mistakes. I need to get time machine up and going on my Mac. Though I need another hd for it.

EnochLight

08 Jan 2016

SoulState wrote:Btw What is cache (Reason's) anyway?
Reason stores frequently accessed sample and song data, enabling it to load recent projects a lot more quickly (high-quality stretch and resample stuff is stored here too). Reason's cache folder isn't supposed to get any larger than 20 GB, and in today's age of terabyte hard drives this is nothing. On smaller SSD's I can see it affecting some peeps, though it can be relocated/moved to any hard drive you want in Reason's Preferences...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

SoulState

08 Jan 2016

Oh riiiight thanks for the info :thumbs_up:

normen

08 Jan 2016

eox wrote:Yeah I was really bummed and in shock at first but this machine is not my main recording machine so I wasn't as devastated. Then again I have experienced 2 major hard drive crashes over the years and I've learned from my mistakes. I need to get time machine up and going on my Mac. Though I need another hd for it.
Depending on the size of your main disk (the backup drive should have at least the same size) a USB stick might do, I got a 256GB one for my MacBook Air, theres even 512GB ones - Verbatim makes very good ones. I only realized theres by now such large USB sticks when I looked for a backup disk for the Air ^^

philosurfer

08 Jan 2016

@EOX

I take partial responsibility here.... sorry mate...

should have made a very STRONG notice around making sure the *rm* command was run with the full path i explicitly called out there.
Lots of people will use a "./" or maybe in your case just a "/" ? not paying attention to which folder they are in and.. boom.. goodbye files.

@Normen
I use Onyx and it was not clearing these caches from what i could tell... for whatever reason.
I believe I had some corrupted cache files and things were acting real weird.. once I cleared mine out... my DSP usage dropped.... very odd.

normen

09 Jan 2016

philosurfer wrote:@Normen
I use Onyx and it was not clearing these caches from what i could tell... for whatever reason.
I believe I had some corrupted cache files and things were acting real weird.. once I cleared mine out... my DSP usage dropped.... very odd.
Did you check all boxes before doing the run? Theres some you really don't need though, best read through all descriptions. Afaicr it cleared the app caches for me.

eox

09 Jan 2016

philosurfer it is all good man! No hard feelings or anything at all. That was my mistake but I am glad to know and learn a lesson before I go about doing things here on a mac haha. I am just not use to how it all works exactly yet. Just means I get to work harder for something better now! Don't feel bad at all. It was all on me!

clone

09 Jan 2016

Yes, everything should be in your time machine. Its a horrible feeling deleting files. I accidentally deleted some files myself, and recovered them on time machine.

Wensell

17 May 2016

27 GB of cache right here! Damn.

dana

17 May 2016

Hold down alt while going into the "Go" menu of finder, library folder appears for the current user under the home menu item.

chrischrischris

17 May 2016

You may or may not find this interesting,

This is A Picture from A HD BackUp.

It contains 27 different folders that I use for Scratch Disk Space that I have to Select in Preferences each time I Play Reason Files for different Artists or Genres. (Preferences - Change Scratch Disk - Close Reason - Open Reason)

Theres nearly 300gb there!!!! One Project in particular has 2 seperate Scratch Disk Folders of 20gb each due to the ammount of Drum Quantizing that has been done.

Most Electronic Projects are in one Folder depending on The Audio Usage.

For The Record most of The Cache Data has been Deleted and Re - Loaded more than 3/4 Times for each Folder. Without these Folders full of Cache some Songs would take upto 20 Minutes to open.

Also, if I'm ever sharing Heavy Cached Tracks / Projects with other Reason Users I can Transfer The Scratch Disk Folders from one Computer to another.
Pc - Pc / Mac - Mac / PC - Mac / Mac - PC.

Chris
Scratch Disk 2016.png
Scratch Disk 2016.png (232.63 KiB) Viewed 5519 times

Gulale

17 May 2016

If you have a bandwidth meter to see your inbound and outbound download speed, the moment you fire up Reason 8 it keeps downloading and uploading stuff. I have no idea what it is.
Gulale aka Bereket

kinkujin

21 Feb 2019

Reading this with interest. Relatively new to Reason and Mac. Should I be *concerned* about this cache thing? Is this something that we users of Reason need to check on as a maintenance? Or only when there is an issue? Thanks.

• Information