Pitch Bend Audio Files?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pinup

07 Feb 2016

Is there a way to use the pitch bend wheel on my keyboard on Audio files instead of just MIDI? (Not Transpose Audio Files)

I have some Audio files I would like to use the pitch bend wheel effect on but I can't find a way to pitch bend Audio files.

I tired creating a Audio Track and putting in into a Combinator but Reason 8.3 doesn't let me do that, it won't merge/combine.

I'm using Reason 8.3.

Is there a way I can do this? A routing trick or a Free Rack Extension?

-Thanks

marcuswitt

08 Feb 2016

There's no need to buy a RackExtension for that purpose. Just put Neptune into the channel's Insert that you want to apply a Pitch Bend effect to. Neptune seems to be the right device in this case because can easily be controlled via Pitch Bend and Mod Wheel. Now create a sequencer track for Neptune… and then: happy bending! :)

I hope that helps a little bit.

Benedict
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2016

Just be sure you have the Pitch Correction feature off or there can be some nasty artefacting.

:)
Last edited by Benedict on 08 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

WongoTheSane

08 Feb 2016

It might be a little more involved (well, a couple more clicks, really), but you could simply load up the audio in an NN-XT and pitch bend it.

Raveshaper

08 Feb 2016

There is a way to warp audio but it isn't very straight forward.

You need to load the audio you want to manipulate into a sampler like NN-19 or NN-XT.
Then you need to setup a Thor to send its Pitch Bend out of CV Out1 thru CV Out3.
Send these outputs into the merge section of a CV Spider and scale the third output to a value of 63 using the trim knob on the back of the spider unit.
Send the merge output of the spider into the Pitch Wheel cv input on the sampler.

After all of this is done you need to run two scripts that I have developed, formerly named "Vinyl", recently renamed to "Audio Warp Engine". Before you say "that's it! that's what I need!", let me explain what I'm talking about first.

What these scripts do is compensate for the changes in speed that happen when you pitch samples. Usually, samples play slower when you pitch down or faster when you pitch up. This method uses the amount of pitch bend that is being applied to the sampler to calculate a precise BPM that, when used to record the output of the sampler, allows the time stretching algorithms built into Reason to preserve the original timing of the audio even though it has been pitched up and down.

It's kind of hard to explain in simple terms, but the result is the audio stays on time even though the pitch has been warped.
Strange behavior can be introduced, such as harmonic distortion and time-based effects rendering unusual results, but it can lead to really improvisational results you wouldn't get any other way.

I am currently shopping around for a new wireless mouse, so until I get it I can't release a PC formatted version of my scripts. But if you have a Mac, you're in luck. Let me know if you want to take a look at this. Everyone else feel free to hit me up as well.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

ravisoni

09 Feb 2016

Raveshaper wrote:There is a way to warp audio but it isn't very straight forward.

You need to load the audio you want to manipulate into a sampler like NN-19 or NN-XT.
Then you need to setup a Thor to send its Pitch Bend out of CV Out1 thru CV Out3.
Send these outputs into the merge section of a CV Spider and scale the third output to a value of 63 using the trim knob on the back of the spider unit.
Send the merge output of the spider into the Pitch Wheel cv input on the sampler.

After all of this is done you need to run two scripts that I have developed, formerly named "Vinyl", recently renamed to "Audio Warp Engine". Before you say "that's it! that's what I need!", let me explain what I'm talking about first.

What these scripts do is compensate for the changes in speed that happen when you pitch samples. Usually, samples play slower when you pitch down or faster when you pitch up. This method uses the amount of pitch bend that is being applied to the sampler to calculate a precise BPM that, when used to record the output of the sampler, allows the time stretching algorithms built into Reason to preserve the original timing of the audio even though it has been pitched up and down.

It's kind of hard to explain in simple terms, but the result is the audio stays on time even though the pitch has been warped.
Strange behavior can be introduced, such as harmonic distortion and time-based effects rendering unusual results, but it can lead to really improvisational results you wouldn't get any other way.

I am currently shopping around for a new wireless mouse, so until I get it I can't release a PC formatted version of my scripts. But if you have a Mac, you're in luck. Let me know if you want to take a look at this. Everyone else feel free to hit me up as well.
Not to derail this thread, but how and through what exactly would you run the script?
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

Raveshaper

11 Feb 2016

ravisoni wrote:Not to derail this thread, but how and through what exactly would you run the script?
Scripts are written in Lua and define advanced control surfaces for use with interfacing with MIDI hardware.

But they can perform other tasks just like any other piece of software. It's just a matter of getting them to "think" in some cases.

MannequinRaces

12 Feb 2016

Raveshaper wrote:I am currently shopping around for a new wireless mouse, so until I get it I can't release a PC formatted version of my scripts. But if you have a Mac, you're in luck. Let me know if you want to take a look at this. Everyone else feel free to hit me up as well.
I would like to take a look at this. Why not post it here instead of people having to PM you?

Raveshaper

12 Feb 2016

I could start a new thread in addition to posting it here.

It just gets a bit...difficult to explain.

There is an in-depth thread here, and the files are linked in it.
You need the instructions so just go read it.

http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7493457
Last edited by Raveshaper on 12 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Stranger.

12 Feb 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 06 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Raveshaper

12 Feb 2016

Stranger. wrote: Just to make others aware that The ECHO cho ho o can actually realtimestretch!!
I had no idea. That could be used in combination with the Audio Warp Engine, but it might be too insane.

Stranger.

13 Feb 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 06 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

philosurfer

14 Feb 2016

if its a loop. Rex that shit and move it into Dr.OctoRex ;) (there are octave knobs and pitch bend wheel )

iF it's a sample that you want to play on the keyboard... NN-XT (watch videos.. there are plenty out there.. or RTFM )

If you want to do this to audio like vocals or something longer than what should fit into a rex loop... as people mentioned above, Neptune can do the job.. but Polar can do it better. I would recommend bouncing the audio out of polar because it creates a noticeable delay that can be better adjusted in time once its back in audio form.

Happy pitching ...

• Information