good video on combining combinators - chris petti!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MarkTarlton

11 Feb 2016

this just came out today and is an interesting approach and worth watching!

Benedict
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2016

Well, well. I never thought of using RPG8 to slave one Combi to another. Cool find.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Marc64

11 Feb 2016

sooo cool, again props devices to the rescue :)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Djstarski

11 Feb 2016

this is so good stuff . thanks

gak

11 Feb 2016

This is like setting up "templates" for multiout drums and the like with SSL. You must have that project, open it, copy and then bring over.

At any rate, it's got my mind buzzing with possibilities. Not feeling musical today, but definitely in a "tweakers" mood.....perfect!

Vince-Noir-99

11 Feb 2016

Thanks!

KaliKush84

11 Feb 2016

That's bad ass

selig
RE Developer

11 Feb 2016

Unfortunately he doesn't go any any of the many limitations of this approach. One is that the second Combi won't track the first exactly due to the monophonic nature of the CV gate signal - mainly, that you can't release any of the notes in the chord until you release ALL of the notes. Also, you can't use the Combi controls across Combinators, nor can you save the results in a Combinator.

All of these things are things I want to do when "combining" multiple Combinators. I also want this for inserts, so you can use multiple Combi's in a single insert.

But alas, none of these things are currently possible. If you're willing to accept the limitations of this approach, there are applications that would work to some degree. But to not be aware of these limitations is probably a setup for disappointment at some future point in time… ;(
Selig Audio, LLC

Benedict
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2016

Thanks Selig, that was actually my first thought when i realized where he was going but he seemed so sure I figured I had mis-remembered the Mono Gate thing.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Vince-Noir-99

12 Feb 2016

In fact I was wondering how he could play chords.. since I remember the RPG8 being mono (as note CV signals).

Marco Raaphorst

12 Feb 2016

Vince-Noir-99 wrote:In fact I was wondering how he could play chords.. since I remember the RPG8 being mono (as note CV signals).
You can play chords with it. Just try it.

Vince-Noir-99

12 Feb 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
Vince-Noir-99 wrote:In fact I was wondering how he could play chords.. since I remember the RPG8 being mono (as note CV signals).
Right, it does, and it's manageable, I guess for pads or a not so excited type of playing.
I think Selig explained the odd behaviour with the release better than I could ever do :)

dan_g

12 Feb 2016

so damn nice trick. finally a good way to layer top and sub basses with one lane of notes instead of two or more
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

selig
RE Developer

12 Feb 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
You can play chords, but you can release all notes only when you release the last note of the chord. Think of it as poly note "ON", and mono note "OFF".

My main point was that the "side effects" we're never mentioned (or did I miss something?) - and that it's far from having any of the benefits of actually putting a Combinator "inside another Combinator".

It's a crude way of "stacking" Combinators that's a great workaround, but not a perfect solution. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

submonsterz

12 Feb 2016

Came to view thread thinking someone had found a new way of doing this but nothing new old hat tricks that have been around for a long time.
It dont fix any of the prolems on usage drawbacks :(.
Still new combi needed with all the extras to be the reaal deal.
Cv ins and outs needed
Better more functional programmer
More dials and knobs
Only real solution to the combinator woes.

Marco Raaphorst

12 Feb 2016

selig wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
You can play chords, but you can release all notes only when you release the last note of the chord. Think of it as poly note "ON", and mono note "OFF".

My main point was that the "side effects" we're never mentioned (or did I miss something?) - and that it's far from having any of the benefits of actually putting a Combinator "inside another Combinator".

It's a crude way of "stacking" Combinators that's a great workaround, but not a perfect solution. :)
Yes, that's right. Playing a chord + a melody is like not possible.

Weird limitation about Reason and CV. They should have put MIDI on the devices.

selig
RE Developer

12 Feb 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
selig wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:

Yes, that's right. Playing a chord + a melody is like not possible.

Weird limitation about Reason and CV. They should have put MIDI on the devices.
Yea, that's one of the weird omissions I've never understood - there's 1/4" audio jacks, and 1/8" CV jacks, and there's even (non-functioning) power cords on many devices. But no MIDI jacks? It would be SOOOO useful, and it's not like it's anything that would be out of place. In fact, it's the omission of MIDI jacks that's odd to me… ;(
Selig Audio, LLC

normen

12 Feb 2016

selig wrote:Yea, that's one of the weird omissions I've never understood - there's 1/4" audio jacks, and 1/8" CV jacks, and there's even (non-functioning) power cords on many devices. But no MIDI jacks? It would be SOOOO useful, and it's not like it's anything that would be out of place. In fact, it's the omission of MIDI jacks that's odd to me… ;(
Anyone noticed theres some spare space on most Reason devices and REs? ;) But if/when they actually implement it theres the whole megillah of adding this feature throughout the whole application, combinators, programmers and whatnot..

Marco Raaphorst

12 Feb 2016

Yes, it would also be so super simple to trigger a note in tune instead of using CV. Never understood why the Props made such a huge design mistake.

normen

12 Feb 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:Yes, it would also be so super simple to trigger a note in tune instead of using CV. Never understood why the Props made such a huge design mistake.
I don't think its a design mistake to add CV, they emulate a synth rack and CV is what was used for synths in the olden days. Plus CV allows for some interesting stuff to be done which is more cumbersome in MIDI. But having MIDI as well would be nice. I wouldn't trade CV completely for MIDI though.

Marco Raaphorst

12 Feb 2016

normen wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:Yes, it would also be so super simple to trigger a note in tune instead of using CV. Never understood why the Props made such a huge design mistake.
I don't think its a design mistake to add CV, they emulate a synth rack and CV is what was used for synths in the olden days. Plus CV allows for some interesting stuff to be done which is more cumbersome in MIDI. But having MIDI as well would be nice. I wouldn't trade CV completely for MIDI though.
The CV in Reason is like MIDI. It has 128 steps. But anyway, adding CV to a polyphonic synth is like putting just one string on a 6 string guitar.

normen

12 Feb 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:The CV in Reason is like MIDI. It has 128 steps. But anyway, adding CV to a polyphonic synth is like putting just one string on a 6 string guitar.
Actually no, CV goes from -1 to 1 - when its resolved to notes its "quantized" to 128 steps - depending on what you set the synth to do.

Marco Raaphorst

12 Feb 2016

normen wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:The CV in Reason is like MIDI. It has 128 steps. But anyway, adding CV to a polyphonic synth is like putting just one string on a 6 string guitar.
Actually no, CV goes from -1 to 1 - when its resolved to notes its "quantized" to 128 steps - depending on what you set the synth to do.
Sorry +127 steps and -127 steps I mean.

normen

12 Feb 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:Sorry +127 steps and -127 steps I mean.
No, -1 to 1 in 32 bit. It simulates a voltage.

Marco Raaphorst

12 Feb 2016

normen wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:Sorry +127 steps and -127 steps I mean.
No, -1 to 1 in 32 bit. It simulates a voltage.
Meaning 127 steps. Thor and Combinator are using these steps. The end user has to use floating point values.

Maybe this is also an issue. -1 to + 1 is not the same as -127 to + 127.

• Information