Discover is now allihoopa.com!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
joeyluck

22 Feb 2016

https://allihoopa.com/
allihoopa.png
allihoopa.png (229.26 KiB) Viewed 4364 times
I think I must've learned of this just as it happened. Went to browse the shop and kept getting an error. Tried a few minutes later and then there was this.

Some other links to like and follow:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allihoopa/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/allihoopa

joeyluck

22 Feb 2016

I think some folks will be happy to see that Reason has it's own tab on the Propellerhead webpage ;P

stevan

22 Feb 2016

Yapp, that gives me hope they don't finished the development of the best music software on earth ... good grief ! :puf_bigsmile:

joeyluck

22 Feb 2016

A Reason update may be imminent! If only to at least update the Drop language to 'Drop to Allihoopa' :D

From https://www.propellerheads.se/reason:
drop-to-allihoopa.png
drop-to-allihoopa.png (22.27 KiB) Viewed 4345 times

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

22 Feb 2016

Hey, you stole my line! :D

Propellerhead Discover is indeed now Allihoopa.com. You can read Ernsts thoughts on our blog: https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/welcome-allihoopa

Super exciting time! I hope you come along for the ride, it's still a great way to share music with your fellow Reason users or find a vocalist or instrumentalist for that track you're working on. Hopefully it also makes it even clearer what's the music making service and what's a developer of awesome music software for Mac and PC. ;)

I'm happy to answer questions if you have any.

sinusfiction

22 Feb 2016

MattiasHG wrote:Hopefully it also makes it even clearer what's the music making service and what's a developer of awesome music software for Mac and PC. ;)
This is the best part of the news for me: propellerheads.se returns to what it was (well, almost, because I don't think that the PUF is coming back...). A clear separation between Discover (Allihoopa - very difficult name to remember and spell BTW) and Reason really was necessary a long long time ago. Glad it finally happened!
New album Who Needs Privacy on Spotify or Soundcloud

tiker01

22 Feb 2016

I am happy that Allihoopa a.k.a Discvoer is now separated from PH.se and Reason is in the focus of the site. Lets see what 2016 will give us on the Reason front. In addition, perhaps the apps will get an update so we can have more sounds in Figure and stems from Allihoopa.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

joeyluck

22 Feb 2016

MattiasHG wrote:Hey, you stole my line! :D

Propellerhead Discover is indeed now Allihoopa.com. You can read Ernsts thoughts on our blog: https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/welcome-allihoopa

Super exciting time! I hope you come along for the ride, it's still a great way to share music with your fellow Reason users or find a vocalist or instrumentalist for that track you're working on. Hopefully it also makes it even clearer what's the music making service and what's a developer of awesome music software for Mac and PC. ;)

I'm happy to answer questions if you have any.
Thanks for chiming in, Mattias! And thanks for the link!
Some folks must think I do nothing other than refresh the Propellerhead page all day long lol. Just good timing.

It is indeed very exciting! And I think everything has happened just as it should. I don't think Allihoopa would have been quite the success it has been if it didn't first start off with it's home being on the Propellerhead website.

For those who have been indifferent or had reservations about it, you need to really give it another look. I haven't had this much fun collaborating online and just browsing music; listening to how others build upon each others' work. Let's be honest, I had no success collaborating online before (with folks I don't know) because of so many barriers. I have never seen online collaboration so immediate.

Mattias, I have a few questions. It is not only a new website, but a new company. I see no mention of Propellerhead on allihoopa.com. Is it considered a sister company of Propellerhead? Will Propellerhead still manage it, or has a staff been created specifically to handle and be Allihoopa AB? And if it's not labeled as Propellerhead, does that mean it may open itself up to other ways of submitting (via other apps or perhaps even just a direct upload submission)? Curious to hear more about it's future I guess :puf_smile:

dioxide

22 Feb 2016

Good luck with the new product and website, it could have a promising future ahead of it. Stems and even opening up this platform to other DAWs would be good. Sort out the copyright aspect and I might even join in myself ;)

I'm happy to see the split between this and Propellerhead and look forward to seeing what happens next with Reason and the RE platform.

Jagwah

22 Feb 2016

So it may be a 'split' of sorts but does that really mean new manpower has been allocated towards Allihoopa?

Ernst's quote: "...And for Reason users – you can expect more Reason focus here at propellerheads.se in the future" kinda leads me to think Reason focus / progress is only now beginning to take place, maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Personally I think it would be a good thing to not release anything Reason related for a long time, at a time when there is bounty for all to be had.

Wow @ Mattias saying something, that was nice :mrgreen:

Noplan
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2016

Hey, you stole my line!
As fading as PUF is your job. ;)

joeyluck

22 Feb 2016

Mattias, my other question is why the additional O? Aside from the cool logo opportunity. Also, I've been pronouncing it phonetically; alley-hoop-uh?

joeyluck

22 Feb 2016

dioxide wrote:Good luck with the new product and website, it could have a promising future ahead of it. Stems and even opening up this platform to other DAWs would be good. Sort out the copyright aspect and I might even join in myself ;)

I'm happy to see the split between this and Propellerhead and look forward to seeing what happens next with Reason and the RE platform.
I was hesitant to join in at first for copyright reasons. But after I did some browsing, I realized how staying clear of that helps to remove a major boundary with collaborating. I certainly have never seen collaboration online in this frequency before.

I was a paid member at Indaba for several years, and collaboration didn't happen often. Users had very specific requests for what they wanted added to their piece, they were sometimes overly picky about who they allowed to work with them, and it seemed like nothing much happened in that realm. Not many results from collaboration. Indaba then dropped the collaboration aspect.

Allihoopa is much more fun. If you don't feel comfortable uploading your own pieces, try building upon others. You don't have to upload your masterpiece's either. If they can find a way to easily implement license options I would like that. But I can understand how presenting that can be a barrier to collaborations actually happening... Creative Commons would be nice.

-008'

22 Feb 2016

(So far) I dislike the idea of, and refuse to use Discover/Alihoopa.

As a musician, besides my instruments , the ONLY thing that I have is ownership of my music. Something like discover/alihoopa throws that right in the garbage. Why?

This notion that music should be free and shareable and everyone should work with everyone.... its just wrong, IMO. ;)

I guess if you always wanted to create and provide royalty-free loops for kids with apps, for free, then it's perfect for you, knock yourself out!

FWIW, I *have* made royalty free sounds to give people for free for years, so maybe I should just unpack my loops and throw them up there? Sure. But that's not what/who this alihoopa is made for, is it? and as a sound designer sharing loops I'd be a minority of the user base.

I read Ernsts post, but I still don't get it. Not onboard. Does not compute. :geek:

Just my 2¢ Would love to hear some other perspectives.
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

joeyluck

22 Feb 2016

-008' wrote:(So far) I dislike the idea of, and refuse to use Discover/Alihoopa.

As a musician, besides my instruments , the ONLY thing that I have is ownership of my music. Something like discover/alihoopa throws that right in the garbage. Why?

This notion that music should be free and shareable and everyone should work with everyone.... its just wrong, IMO. ;)

I guess if you always wanted to create and provide royalty-free loops for kids with apps, for free, then it's perfect for you, knock yourself out!

FWIW, I *have* made royalty free sounds to give people for free for years, so maybe I should just unpack my loops and throw them up there? Sure. But that's not what/who this alihoopa is made for, is it? and as a sound designer sharing loops I'd be a minority of the user base.

I read Ernsts post, but I still don't get it. Not onboard. Does not compute. :geek:

Just my 2¢ Would love to hear some other perspectives.
As I started to read your comment, I was going to mention your lovely ReFills :puf_smile:

I have a song still sitting on the back-burner that uses one of your Monotron loops, that I always figured if the song became anything and I released it, I would certainly credit you for it ;) That's just the way I roll. And not just loops... I feel like I should credit every single patch designer.

Uploading your free ReFill sounds to allihoopa might be very beneficial...

First, you can see who is using your stuff when they repost! Unlike with ReFills/patches where people don't typically make mention. I've shared only a few patches here and there over time, and I always feel a bit bummed when I hear no response, but see how many times it's been downloaded. Do they hate em? Did somebody use one of em?

Secondly, it can serve as a means to promote your paid sounds. I've seen Navi Retlav had some loops featured as well as some others.
So, I think as you talked through it, you might have discovered (no pun possible anymore) exactly what you could use allihoopa for!

If you upload some of your free ReFills there, I will be sure to build upon them! :D

-008'

22 Feb 2016

joeyluck wrote: As I started to read your comment, I was going to mention your lovely ReFills :puf_smile:

I have a song still sitting on the back-burner that uses one of your Monotron loops, that I always figured if the song became anything and I released it, I would certainly credit you for it ;) That's just the way I roll. And not just loops... I feel like I should credit every single patch designer.

First, you can see who is using your stuff when they repost! Unlike with ReFills/patches where people don't make mention. I've shared only a few patches here and there over time, and I always feel a bit bummed when I hear no response, but see how many times it's been downloaded. Do they hate em? Did somebody use one of em?

Secondly, it can serve as a means to promote your paid sounds. I've seen Navi Retlav had some loops featured as well as some others.
So, I think as you talked through it, you might have discovered (no pun possible anymore) exactly what you could use allihoopa for!

If you upload some of your free ReFills there, I will be sure to build upon them! :D
Thanks Joey!

Yeah that is also the only way I can see myself using it. But even then... Not really using as "intended". And it more or less feels like I'm (or Navi or anyone) just loading my content in to help prop up the system/idea. (Which i already disagree with)

I'm just a skeptical, miserable old coot I guess! :)
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

The_G

22 Feb 2016

Not sure I'm ever going to use it (for the aforementioned copyright reasons), but I like the rebranding. Will definitely be curious to see how the project develops.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

stevan

22 Feb 2016

Allihoopa is more a fun thing in my eyes, like Figure and Take ... I don't think they had pro musicians in the focus. I see it like all these social media apps , like Instagram etc. You made a statement or a momentary snapshot of whatever ... it could lead to a full song, but mostly it's for the bin ... but, anyway - I wouldn't use it . I mean, what should I upload ? Stuff I personally don't need or like ? My good stuff should end as a whole project of mine , why should I give it away for free, I worked hard for it and I'm proud what I've done and so on ... so, if this would allowed me working with other musicians wich I choose or vice versa and everybody get their credits in the final project, it would be a kinda of collaboration I could accept ... btw, is it profitable having a social network (Allihoopa) and giving apps for free ?

... and I'm happy that they "outsourced" Allihoopa from Propellerhead AB .

joeyluck

22 Feb 2016

-008' wrote:
joeyluck wrote: As I started to read your comment, I was going to mention your lovely ReFills :puf_smile:

First, you can see who is using your stuff when they repost! Unlike with ReFills/patches where people don't make mention. I've shared only a few patches here and there over time, and I always feel a bit bummed when I hear no response, but see how many times it's been downloaded. Do they hate em? Did somebody use one of em?

Thanks Joey!

Yeah that is also the only way I can see myself using it. But even then... Not really using as "intended".
It's still as intended though. You would be uploading content for folks to build upon. I assume you don't release free ReFills for people to just look at hehe. And then the promotion part is also something intended. People are on there promoting themselves for different things for different reasons. If there's a vocalist I find whose work I like and I want to work on something exclusively, I can then explore that. Just the same as if I find a designer's content I like, I will want to explore the paid sounds...

Now stare into this logo and listen to the sound of my voice...

joeyluck

22 Feb 2016

stevan wrote:btw, is it profitable having a social network (Allihoopa) and giving apps for free ?
It is when it draws attention to their paid apps and their flagship, Reason.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

22 Feb 2016

I feel sorry for Alli Hooper. She's gonna be bombarded with royalty-free music extracts.

stevan

22 Feb 2016

joeyluck wrote:
stevan wrote:btw, is it profitable having a social network (Allihoopa) and giving apps for free ?
It is when it draws attention to their paid apps and their flagship, Reason.
... haha, O.K. - that makes sense, maybe ;) hopefully it'll work and the Facebook Likes goes up ! :lol:
Last edited by stevan on 22 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.

stevan

22 Feb 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:I feel sorry for Alli Hooper. She's gonna be bombarded with royalty-free music extracts.
:lol: Alli Hooper, niiiice ...

joeyluck

22 Feb 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:I feel sorry for Alli Hooper. She's gonna be bombarded with royalty-free music extracts.
I heard the back-up name was Jiggery-Pookery

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

22 Feb 2016

joeyluck wrote:Mattias, I have a few questions. It is not only a new website, but a new company. I see no mention of Propellerhead on allihoopa.com. Is it considered a sister company of Propellerhead? Will Propellerhead still manage it, or has a staff been created specifically to handle and be Allihoopa AB? And if it's not labeled as Propellerhead, does that mean it may open itself up to other ways of submitting (via other apps or perhaps even just a direct upload submission)? Curious to hear more about it's future I guess :puf_smile:
Propellerhead and Allihoopa are separate company entities, working together VERY closely in the same office. :) We also definitely want other companies to get involved with Allihoopa, including apps and more traditional music software. The more the merrier!
joeyluck wrote:Mattias, my other question is why the additional O? Aside from the cool logo opportunity. Also, I've been pronouncing it phonetically; alley-hoop-uh?
Sure makes a cool logo, doesn't it? Also, in this day an age it's hard to get a .com domain of any word in any language so making one up sure helps. ;)
Noplan wrote:As fading as PUF is your job. ;)
Actually, I'm the Product Manager of Reason nowadays. :reason: :puf_bigsmile:
-008' wrote:As a musician, besides my instruments , the ONLY thing that I have is ownership of my music. Something like discover/alihoopa throws that right in the garbage. Why?

There are many, many different kinds of musicians. Heck, some might not even call themselves musicians yet! A lot of users simply just want the experience of doing something fun or creative with someone else. It's not about the result, it's about the act of creation. I personally upload a bunch of things and it's just different kinds of things - not made for release, not made for an album—just fun ideas to share and work on together.

Not saying that's for you, just saying it's a different way than your traditional music publishing (non-collaborative) sites. :)

• Information