Discover is now allihoopa.com!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stevan

22 Feb 2016

The best sentence in Ernst's Blog was that : "And for Reason users – you can expect more Reason focus here at propellerheads.se in the future." ... at least it would be good to know how he define "future" ... ;)

pjeudy

22 Feb 2016

I know this thread is about Allihoopa....but any Reason "only" innovations this year ?
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

joeyluck

22 Feb 2016

MattiasHG wrote:Propellerhead and Allihoopa are separate company entities, working together VERY closely in the same office. :) We also definitely want other companies to get involved with Allihoopa, including apps and more traditional music software. The more the merrier!
Awesome! That's very cool news. Interested to see what develops :D
MattiasHG wrote:Sure makes a cool logo, doesn't it? Also, in this day an age it's hard to get a .com domain of any word in any language so making one up sure helps. ;)
Haha that makes sense.
MattiasHG wrote:Actually, I'm the Product Manager of Reason nowadays. :reason: :puf_bigsmile:
:thumbs_up:

Vince-Noir-99

22 Feb 2016

Like others, I don't get social websites... or at least what I get seems to me potentially a cool idea, but ultimately some kind of 'trap' like Vkontakte, Facebooks, Twitty and the like, where the game is based on connecting with, and being exposed to ....the entire world — to me that sounds like a nightmare! :)

However, if specifically talking about music, I am intrigued, and would like to understand besides the social game aspect of it (making friends, collabos etc), what real benefit a prospective musician can find in sharing his talent without copyright protection.
** I didn't look into it but from the comments it seems that there's no copyright whatsoever **

We all know at this point that making a living out of recorded music alone isn't really viable alone. Publishing platforms like Youtube and Myspace (which now I've been told evolved into iCloudsound [what the bejesus now it's the bloody cloud now]) are great advertisement places which have protection options. Allihoopa is instead a 'music in the making' platform, but obviously we expect finished material coming out of it and being published eventually. How to deal with properly referencing a finished composition? Yes, there's karma conscience but shouldn't it be managed by some basic rules? I think as Joey suggested CC would be perfect.

joeyluck

22 Feb 2016

pjeudy wrote:I know this thread is about Allihoopa....but any Reason "only" innovations this year ?

For starters, there is an inevitable Reason update I'm sure to update to "Drop to Propellerhead" to "Drop to Allihoopa." My bet is it will include a few more things than just that...

But did you read Ernst's blog post? Clearly more is on the way :D
And "this year?" I would hope so! Haha

joeyluck

22 Feb 2016

Vince-Noir-99 wrote:However, if specifically talking about music, I am intrigued, and would like to understand besides the social game aspect of it (making friends, collabos etc), what real benefit a prospective musician can find in sharing his talent without copyright protection.
** I didn't look into it but from the comments it seems that there's no copyright whatsoever **
For me personally I'm having fun just seeing how other people work and seeing what other users can do with something.

I've gotten more into creating REX loops and using the Dr. Octo Rex than I had before. Building upon a drum loop or chopping up entire pieces. I find I build upon things more often than I find myself uploading the first piece. There is much you can learn when just deciding to build-upon something... Whether it's playing in a different key, exploring a genre you might not have written for before, and just taking a chance on something and challenging yourself.

The frequency of uploads from users is great. There is a new upload from Figure and Take almost every minute or so. With Reason, it looks to be every few minutes. I'm sure someone at Propellerhead may have some real stats/averages if they care to share ;)
And as I mentioned earlier, I have fun a lot of the time just browsing; Listening to a track and then seeing how others build upon it.

jfrichards

22 Feb 2016

I've been having lots of fun browsing Allihoopa. Despite the elitism among certain Reason users that Figure and Take users are a lower breed of human, there are tons of interesting musical pieces already and the posting rate is very high. As Allihoopa users become more proficient, I'm sure they will find out about Soundcloud and copywrite protection if they choose to make careers with music.

Cellphone music is exploding right now. Listening to music, buying music, browsing music, sharing music, composing music, collaborating on music, ... are all seeing a dramatic rise. Cellphone music apps are getting much better: GarageBand, iMaschine, Korg Gadget, Take, Akai MPC, and dozens of others. Format standards and cloud systems and DAW integration are being worked out. WIST and other wireless syncing is starting up. The explosion is for both non-professionals who love music and for professionals who can use the new technology to streamline and expand their creative process. It is becoming a perfect adjunct for the whole record-it-yourself revolution.

My Allihoopa stuff: https://allihoopa.com/jfrichards?&_suid ... 6723241061

And I'm hoping to get a free lunchbox soon:
Attachments
Alley Oop lunchbox.png
Alley Oop lunchbox.png (97.88 KiB) Viewed 2112 times

kuhliloach

22 Feb 2016

The mere existence of Discover has been a thorn in my heel from day one. I am very glad it has moved to hulahoopa.org. I'm a musician and aspiring producer who is attempting to use Reason in a professional setting. I might once again be able to tell my clients what software I am using without feeling ashamed. I recently had a client tell me how great my mix sounded, and asked me what tools I use. I carefully sent him to the Reason Mixing URL in hopes he would not discover Discover. I had no intention of trying to explain to him that I use a DAW made by a company that is focused on social networking.

I never clicked on Discover, and I certainly have no intention of visiting the new site. I'm not sure that Propellerhead Software considers that some of us might be trying to make a living from the creation of quality music. I've got news for those struggling with Reason and social networking: all you need is yourself. The internet and social networking will suck the life and music right out of your soul.

Reason is an amazing tool and it doesn't require other peoples' stems--that's what makes it so great. And it's been that way since Reason was first made. All the greatest Reason developments are now coming from Rack Extensions, so I'd like to point out that Propellerhead has done something extremely well--I predicted no important developers would touch RE's. I was wrong.

Rather than allow this platform to distract you and dilute your personal musical expression I suggest turning the internet off, clearing our minds, and creating some great music all by ourselves... using this little thing we like to call Reason. If you'd like an example of a website that helps musicians grow their catalog and business I suggest taking a look at Bandcamp.

pjeudy

22 Feb 2016

@joeyluck yep...I saw his blog. He said "for Reason users you can expect more Reason focus"

I think he means:
now that we have launched Allihoopa we hope to have more time to focus on Reason.
Propellerhead is a small company right ? who takes time to put a product out.... I can see them developing Allihoopa and Reason at the same time, but not with the same focus and attention. This is an excellent update for those who uses this sharing service.
The wait for a significant Reason update continues.

at least there's February 25th to look forward to. :-)
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

stevan

22 Feb 2016

and after all that, a new Propellerhead Homepage would be cool ...
Last edited by stevan on 22 Feb 2016, edited 3 times in total.

avasopht
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2016

Cool, well I'm curious to see if they can pull it off. It's a tough cookie to get right though.

joeyluck

22 Feb 2016

kuhliloach wrote:The mere existence of Discover has been a thorn in my heel from day one. I am very glad it has moved to hulahoopa.org. I'm a musician and aspiring producer who is attempting to use Reason in a professional setting. I might once again be able to tell my clients what software I am using without feeling ashamed. I recently had a client tell me how great my mix sounded, and asked me what tools I use. I carefully sent him to the Reason Mixing URL in hopes he would not discover Discover. I had no intention of trying to explain to him that I use a DAW made by a company that is focused on social networking.

I never clicked on Discover, and I certainly have no intention of visiting the new site. I'm not sure that Propellerhead Software considers that some of us might be trying to make a living from the creation of quality music. I've got news for those struggling with Reason and social networking: all you need is yourself. The internet and social networking will suck the life and music right out of your soul.

Reason is an amazing tool and it doesn't require other peoples' stems--that's what makes it so great. And it's been that way since Reason was first made. All the greatest Reason developments are now coming from Rack Extensions, so I'd like to point out that Propellerhead has done something extremely well--I predicted no important developers would touch RE's. I was wrong.

Rather than allow this platform to distract you and dilute your personal musical expression I suggest turning the internet off, clearing our minds, and creating some great music all by ourselves... using this little thing we like to call Reason. If you'd like an example of a website that helps musicians grow their catalog and business I suggest taking a look at Bandcamp.
If you are worried about what others think about your software and not your music, that sounds like a different issue. I make a living from my sound design and music, yet I still use and browse Allihoopa. So I don't see how you can't do both :?

riemac

22 Feb 2016

pjeudy wrote:@joeyluck yep...I saw his blog. He said "for Reason users you can expect more Reason focus"

I think he means:
now that we have launched Allihoopa we hope to have more time to focus on Reason.
Propellerhead is a small company right ? who takes time to put a product out.... I can see them developing Allihoopa and Reason at the same time, but not with the same focus and attention. This is an excellent update for those who uses this sharing service.
The wait for a significant Reason update continues.

at least there's February 25th to look forward to. :-)
What does the 25th mean? Do you know more then we do?

dioxide

22 Feb 2016

jfrichards wrote:As Allihoopa users become more proficient, I'm sure they will find out about ... copywrite protection if they choose to make careers with music.
Some of them will probably find out about copyright once they learn that I've been selling their material to royalty free music websites. My career in the music industry is doing great, I'm not sure how it will turn out for them. If they do decide to pursue a career in music then that's great I wish them all the best. If not, no worries and I thank them for their contribution to my career in music.

pjeudy

22 Feb 2016

jfrichards wrote:Despite the elitism among certain Reason users that Figure and Take users are a lower breed of human,
And this ladies and gentlemen is exactly how fanboy wars and actual elitism starts. By one groupe characterizing another's point of view and opinion in the worst possible way.

pjeudy

22 Feb 2016

riemac wrote:What does the 25th mean? Do you know more then we do?
http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7493465 :puf_smile:

reason2dance

22 Feb 2016

But I still can discover something there, right? :puf_bigsmile:

T.G.

22 Feb 2016

I found this news out today by updating my apps, and thought it might be LINK update...

If allihoopa is really about the creation of music,sharing and jamming and co creating - then LINK enables just that!
I would love to see LINK implemented in figure and take! (and reason as well please!)

LINK as a useful tool, sure it's abletons' tech, but i don't think that should matter - many other DAW's use rewire - props technology!
I don't have ableton, I tried it and didn't like it, but would love to sync figure on iphone and reason on the computer!

theshoemaker

22 Feb 2016

Figure was a smart move. They couldn't get a better channel for leads... Potentially new customers. And reading along in the forums what others spent on REs its kinda affordable given they get a few percents of the cake. BTW. I feel also it's time for an update. It obviously has to be 9.0 [emoji16]
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

mbfrancis

22 Feb 2016

I've been really dismissive of Discover, but there does seem to be a lot of participation, and I still have >100 loops that are sitting on my hard drive, still unused.

I'm really looking for collaborators/producers/remixers for my electronic stuff, so this might be a good way for sympathetic people to find each other. Put some stuff out there and see how gravitates towards it? Has anyone found a collaborator there?
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

adfielding

22 Feb 2016

I welcome this change! Splitting Discover off makes a fair bit of sense, and I dig the player redesign.

sinusfiction

22 Feb 2016

MattiasHG wrote: We also definitely want other companies to get involved with Allihoopa, including apps and more traditional music software. The more the merrier!
That sounds like a great idea! I hope Ableton Live is one of the candidates. Speaking of Ableton: I really like their new sync option Link, which also works like a charm with several mobile apps. Please consider to add this to Reason, Take and Figure! (and Rebirth? :thumbs_up: )
New album Who Needs Privacy on Spotify or Soundcloud

avasopht
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2016

MattiasHG wrote: Propellerhead and Allihoopa are separate company entities, working together VERY closely in the same office. :) We also definitely want other companies to get involved with Allihoopa, including apps and more traditional music software. The more the merrier!
Please do tell more.

What are expectations, scope and lines of communication? Is Allihoopa open to discussion?

Are they warm, cold?

KEVMOVE02

22 Feb 2016

Once again, a Propellerhead announcement is met with intense skepticism and declarations of non-participation by those whose lack of participation will go unnoticed. If anything, the dialogue here is likely to encourage more people to go find out what all the fuss is about. EXACT REVERSE OPPOSITE!

ClassickHitz

22 Feb 2016

I'm sorry not to share the same enthusiasm as everyone else. This whole Discover now Allihoopa just seems like it took up precious time from Propellerhead that could and should have been dedicated to making Reason more of an efficient DAW by today's standards.

If you want to have a music sharing entity catering to what you're calling the 'mobile' music making crowd then I'm not here to say wether that's a good or bad thing. It's definitely something that's worth exploring but not for as long as it has been explored just to end up with another name on another site.

This all reverts back to the 'snails pace' theory many have labeled and accused Propellerhead of adopting as it pertains to moving Reason along as a full functioning DAW with no limitations.

It's what frustrates many who really love Reason but wonder when they'll finally turn the corner. Again, you know time has been waisted
when you read statements like: "And for Reason users – you can expect more Reason focus here at propellerheads.se in the future"

Damn!

• Information