Your mastering setup

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jmax

22 Feb 2016

So I know everyone has a slightly different mastering setup. It can really change from song to song but I was wondering what your basic setup is. I'm looking for some more inspiration in the mastering chain.

Mine goes a bit like this.

Kuassa AT1 Equalizer
FET compressor
MOO Tube compressor
Stereo Splitter (is it strange to have this after compression or should it come before in the chain after or before the EQ)
Selig Gain (mainly to get an output read)
and the Kussa Limiter as a final output.

To be honest sometimes I don't use half of them in completed songs and do much of the equalizing/mixing with the SSL but still have room for the compressor. :shock:
Attachments
James Langevin Template.rar
(85.54 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Mastering Suite.png
Mastering Suite.png (1.16 MiB) Viewed 2879 times
Last edited by Jmax on 23 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Rick75

22 Feb 2016

SO.....

So...

Remember when posts didn't start like that? Come back 2010, I miss you.

Anyway, izotope ozone 7.

dvdrtldg

22 Feb 2016

RE-2A --> Kuassa EVE MP5 --> Ozone Maximizer usually does me unless there's some sort of niche requirement

MannequinRaces

23 Feb 2016

I'm interested in this is well because my mastering setup is very weak, lol. Currently it is Kuassa AT1 -> MClass Stereo Imager - MClass Stereo Compressor -> MCLass Maximizer -> Ananis Mid Side Router (to check my mix in mono) -> Flower Audio Loudness Meter (purchasing in the next few days). I'm interested in the Kuassa Limiter and looking into a dedicated multi-band compression RE.

EnochLight

23 Feb 2016

Here's mine - though I sometimes bounce between Kratos 2 and Ozone:
master_and_servant.JPG
master_and_servant.JPG (158.18 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Jmax

23 Feb 2016

EnochLight wrote:Here's mine - though I sometimes bounce between Kratos 2 and Ozone:
master_and_servant.JPG
Pretty rad! do you find that it's enough? or do you switch it up from time to time?

Jmax

23 Feb 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:RE-2A --> Kuassa EVE MP5 --> Ozone Maximizer usually does me unless there's some sort of niche requirement

that's a very nice setup, simple yet powerful.

Loque

23 Feb 2016

1.i start with filtering to remove outside 25 and 18k or 20k hz.
2. Light compression and limmiting to remove anyoing peaks.
3. Cleanig frequencies, doing EQs, HP and increase the air in the side
4.clean compression, normaly no coloring
5. Final EQ, mostly AT5
6. Maybe some room
7. Kratos and iZotope. Normaly both, because they use different technics.

Often i have Selig Gain as first input, rarly the Leveler. I rarly use enhancers, exciters or stereo imager in the master.

Oh, and metering for sure the peaks and volume on mid/side, frequencies, phasing and correlation.
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

23 Feb 2016

Jmax wrote:Pretty rad! do you find that it's enough? or do you switch it up from time to time?
I'll switch up iZotope Ozone and Kuassa Kratos 2 sometimes, but that's about it. Other than that, Softube Tubetech is magical.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Jmax

23 Feb 2016

EnochLight wrote:
Jmax wrote:Pretty rad! do you find that it's enough? or do you switch it up from time to time?
I'll switch up iZotope Ozone and Kuassa Kratos 2 sometimes, but that's about it. Other than that, Softube Tubetech is magical.
Yup, wish I could afford it.

txh003

23 Feb 2016

I do not master songs in Reason, due to the fact that Studio One's Project environment is better suited for the task. However, I did create a mastering template, in Reason, that is similar to the processing chain I have available in Studio One. The said Reason mastering template includes following items, in the listed order:

01) Red Rock RE 60 Spectrum Analyzer
02) Selig Gain
03) Code Diggers D-Filter
04) Propellerhead Line Mixer 6:2 <-> Softube Saturation Knob (Send/Return)
05) Kuassa EVE-AT1 EQ
06) Softube TSAR-1 Reverb
07) Propellerhead MClass Stereo Imager
08) Jiggery Pokery Anansi Mid-Side Router
09) McDSP C670 Compressor
10) Selig Gain
11) iZotope Ozone Maximizer
12) Red Rock RE 60 Spectrum Analyzer
13) Flower Audio Loudness Meter

Not every device would be used in all situations, such as the reverb and stereo processors, but are there for convenience. The EQ (EVE-AT1), compressor (C670) and limiter (Ozone Maximizer) would be swapped out for similar devices as needed.
Last edited by txh003 on 23 Feb 2016, edited 2 times in total.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

EnochLight

23 Feb 2016

Jmax wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
..Other than that, Softube Tubetech is magical.
There's more affordable options. The Kuassa EVE-MP5 is a good Pultec MEQ-5 midrange eq/EQP-1A program eq emulation. As for the comp, I can't remember which one but there's also a decent Pultec emulation from someone else (I think).

Loque

23 Feb 2016

Yes, the DCAM says it is modelles after... But those compressors sound pretty bad imo.
Reason12, Win10

The_G

23 Feb 2016

Drooling at the sight of the Tube-Tech REs, but $350...oh my.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

Loque

24 Feb 2016

I tried it and it did not blew me away, especially not for 350€...all other their RE are awsome and i have them all...
Reason12, Win10

SA Studio

25 Feb 2016

I don't know if you saw my video yet, but if you're looking for ideas for devices in your Mastering chain, as well as detailed information about what the Mastering process is about and how to do it in Reason, check this out:

I'm actually sponsored by Kuassa and have been talking and working with them. Their products are great and they're really bringing top-notch options to the Reason community and they work really hard at it.

Also, speaking about the Tube-Tech, my other video really shows off how nice the MP5 works too.

If you've already seen those videos, I hope they were useful. They should helpful to anyone else who hasn't seen them either.

If you have any questions about the videos, lemme know :)

SA Studio

25 Feb 2016

EnochLight wrote:
Jmax wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
..Other than that, Softube Tubetech is magical.
There's more affordable options. The Kuassa EVE-MP5 is a good Pultec MEQ-5 midrange eq/EQP-1A program eq emulation. As for the comp, I can't remember which one but there's also a decent Pultec emulation from someone else (I think).
The Pultec is not a compressor nor was there ever a built-in compressor to Pultec EQ's. That's Softube's inclusion of the C1 LB into the Classic Channel is all.

You may be referring to the Cakewalk RE2A RE - some people consider that a viable replacement for the C1 LB along with a Pultec EQ as it creates a similar device overall.

EnochLight

25 Feb 2016

The_G wrote:Drooling at the sight of the Tube-Tech REs, but $350...oh my.
Loque wrote:I tried it and it did not blew me away, especially not for 350€...
Yeah, they're pricey. That said, they put them on sale just recently (it was either Black Friday or the December holidays; can't remember which). I think it was somewhere around 50% off (at least the VST/AU/AAX/etc was).

SA Studio

25 Feb 2016

The VST was reduced 50% but the RE was not.

The RE only went down to $225 from $350 during the Black Friday sale, IIRC.

EnochLight

25 Feb 2016

SA Studio wrote:The Pultec is not a compressor nor was there ever a built-in compressor to Pultec EQ's. That's Softube's inclusion of the C1 LB into the Classic Channel is all.

You may be referring to the Cakewalk RE2A RE - some people consider that a viable replacement for the C1 LB along with a Pultec EQ as it creates a similar device overall.
Correct; I was referring to the Tube-Tech CL 1B, which Softube's CL1B attempts to emulate. I called it a Pultec just to coax you into chiming into this thread and "correcting" me, while allowing you the opportunity to once again brag about your skills and "endorsements".

Mission accomplished! ;)

SA Studio

25 Feb 2016

EnochLight wrote:
SA Studio wrote:The Pultec is not a compressor nor was there ever a built-in compressor to Pultec EQ's. That's Softube's inclusion of the C1 LB into the Classic Channel is all.

Correct; I was referring to the Tube-Tech CL 1B, which Softube's CL1B attempts to emulate. I called it a Pultec just to coax you into chiming into this thread and "correcting" me, while allowing you the opportunity to once again brag about your skills and "endorsements".

Mission accomplished! ;)
You really need to grow up, Enochlight.

It only "bothers you" when someone else mentions their accomplishments because of your own issues.

Im a very nice guy. Perhaps you just need to do more in your life you actually feel good about, then you won't be so auto-matically bitter at people who do things they love and are good at. You'll also have less time to try and "troll" someone into a thread like you're saying you did here.

Most certainly: You do not even have musical examples on the internet, Enochlight. You don't have anything for sale anywhere. Perhaps if you did, you'd more readily stand with confidence among other people who have worked hard enough to garner a shred of it themselves and not auto-hate them like you've always auto-hated me.

You probably did call it a Pultec just to coax me = I'm not kidding that I think you're the person who trolls my YouTube videos and are the person who hits dislike on them as soon as I post something.

Clearly you have weird jealousy issues or something. You always think I'm a jerk no matter what I do, and that is entirely more of a reflection of you than it is me. You blocked me on Facebook for no reason at all - why? Because you're on "auto-hate". You should find that switch and deactivate it - people get cancer like that.

My videos clearly bother you. Maybe if you made some more, you'd feel more accomplished and would stop trolling me.

I don't want any issue with you. But you immediately react whenever I say anything. It's pretty sad. You clearly blocked me on Facebook simply because I was posting popular videos that must have bothered you for some reason. I'm not the guy who blocked you....
Last edited by SA Studio on 25 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.

EnochLight

25 Feb 2016

SA Studio wrote:You really need to grow up, Enochlight.
Ras Cricket, the moment you get over yourself, I'll be happy to "grow up". And no, for the millionth time - I'm not trolling you anywhere, as I told you several times when you started PM'ing me. I have not the time nor the interest to engage in such things. Speaking of which, I asked you not to engage me, and thought I made it abundantly clear when you kept PM'ing me a couple of weeks ago out of the blue. You chose to quote me in this thread and engage, so please stop pretending like I'm the villain here. If anything, I regret pressing the "show post" button since I blocked you long ago, Anthony.

SA Studio

25 Feb 2016

EnochLight wrote:
SA Studio wrote:You really need to grow up, Enochlight.
Ras Cricket, the moment you get over yourself, I'll be happy to "grow up". And no, for the millionth time - I'm not trolling you anywhere, as I told you several times when you started PM'ing me. I have not the time nor the interest to engage in such things. Speaking of which, I asked you not to engage me, and thought I made it abundantly clear when you kept PM'ing me a couple of weeks ago out of the blue. You chose to quote me in this thread and engage, so please stop pretending like I'm the villain here. If anything, I regret pressing the "show post" button since I blocked you long ago, Anthony.
Dude...anyone can tell your vibe.

You've got a nasty insult cocked and loaded at a person literally less than an inch under your skin most of the time.

It should be evident to anyone reading it. You even use all my names, "RasCricket, "Anthony" in effort to try and discredit or insult me.

Dylan Day = You really need to let go of your negativity, man. You're your own enemy in this battle. You'll always want me to "get over myself" so I dont make you uncomfortable.

Stop pretending you're the villan? Dude..read your reply. If you could get as nasty as you wanted to me, you'd likely be banned. You'd list my address and other personal information too if you could if you thought it would hurt me. Like I said, get rid of those ugly vibes before they have a real bad effect on you.

EnochLight

25 Feb 2016

SA Studio wrote:Dude...anyone can tell your vibe.
Like I said Anthony Cusenza, stop engaging me and we'll be fine. I've made it no secret how I feel about you. I told you point blank when you started PM'ing me. It's like you have a crush on me or something.

I'll spell it out for you here again, just so there's no misconceptions and anyone reading the thread knows how I feel about you as well:

Me:
you're just the sort of personality - and I clearly am the sort of personality - that the two of us are much better off avoiding. I don't feed egos, and narcissistic folks irritate the hell out of me.
I literally find you repugnant. Please, just stop sending me messages. I've tried to be nice, but goddamn dude..
Why you chose to quote me in this thread to begin with and engage, after I told you that weeks ago, is beyond reason. Do you have short term memory or did you honestly think this would end well?

SA Studio

25 Feb 2016

Wow.

Psycho much?

I thought you had grown up, man. You told me you blocked me here to when I asked you why you blocked me on Facebook. I wasn't even sure if you could see it. I honestly had no idea if you could. You said you blocked me here.

If you thought me mildly-correcting you over the Pultec-Compressor issue was a call to war, you're even more unstable than I thought.

Clearly you're to be avoided.

• Information