New features for Reasontalk

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
KEVMOVE02

14 Mar 2016

This particular thread has an odd tone to it. I can't put my finger on what's specifically is off, but I can tell you what I felt: it's like I walked into a musical instrument store, ready to buy one of those "stop dreaming, start playing" packages and everyone is looking at me with that "you're a fool if you think you can make music with that junk". I eventually get the attention of a salesperson who reluctantly helps me because he needs to be available in case a "real musician" walks in. I leave the store not sure what I could have possibly done to these people I've never seen before for them to act like I didn't have a right to even be in the store. Just because we have the ability to crap all over someone else's ambitions doesn't mean we have to exercise that right whenever possible. I'm not even sure it was to anyone's benefit to share the offending podcast, because all it accomplishes is making everyone choose a side. That sounds like a "really effective way to get people to want to collaborate."

selig
RE Developer

14 Mar 2016

Seems like the whole podcast is a warning that these ideas may not work - duly noted; now we can carry on with our discussion.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

pushedbutton

15 Mar 2016

Hydie namechecked me. Am I THAT synonymous with producing crap? He was right though, I do make a lot of ill conceived experimental bollocks and I learn from my mistakes. I openly welcome criticism and I'm over being precious about my sounds. I'm just surprised that my approach is so different to anyone elses that it's worth noting.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Jagwah

15 Mar 2016

pushedbutton wrote:Hydie namechecked me. Am I THAT synonymous with producing crap? He was right though, I do make a lot of ill conceived experimental bollocks and I learn from my mistakes. I openly welcome criticism and I'm over being precious about my sounds. I'm just surprised that my approach is so different to anyone elses that it's worth noting.
I didn't listen to it but that sounds like a low blow. WIPs are exactly that and shouldn't be critically judged. I have heard some amazing stuff from you before man, keep doing what you are doing.

KEVMOVE02

16 Mar 2016

I took the time to listen and I don't think the "namecheck" was intended to be mean-spirited (unless you choose to take it that way). I get the sense that Hydlide was expressing a "been there, done that, can already see the outcomes" flow. I also got the sense that he feels that the Reason platform is either too segmented or doesn't have a large enough user base to make many of the suggestions feasible or fruitful. He made some valid points, but that shouldn't be a deterrent to making the attempt to create a Reason specific collaboration platform that aggregates a variety of services on a single portal.

avasopht
Competition Winner

16 Mar 2016

I also think the common mistake is to create a distant platform for a desired population of users rather than building a community that can happily start small and grow if need be.

What I mean is that it's perfectly fine if there are only 4 contributors. That would make the platform the hub of a small team, just think of it as a team for that period. Eventually the tribe can grow and team members become leaders of the next generation of contributors.

Think in terms of relationships, teams, collaborative efforts and coordinated or somewhat connected creation,... or something.

joeyluck

16 Mar 2016

I understand some of the points as well. And I think even Propellerhead probably considered these things when making what is now Allihoopa. There are some folks that still bash it, but it is a success in regards to the frequency of uploads / participation.

Kenni
Site Admin

16 Mar 2016

We're very focused on one idea in particular. My guess is props didn't do it because of the cost involved. A 5 minute song as a wav file takes less storage and bandwidth than a project filed with stems and samples, so for me, there's something to consider.

Idea 2 and 3 are very feasible indeed.

Finally, we all measure success differently. I'd be happy if core users of the board were the only ones using this feature. I don't measure success in commercial properties, but in functionality and the joy of creating, much like with writing music.

The point of this post is not to make people choose and comment on the proposals alone, but also to describe what they need. That's where hydlide got it all wrong, including the subtle touch of mockery.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

joeyluck

16 Mar 2016

Kenni wrote:We're very focused on one idea in particular. My guess is props didn't do it because of the cost involved. A 5 minute song as a wav file takes less storage and bandwidth than a project filed with stems and samples, so for me, there's something to consider.

Idea 2 and 3 are very feasible indeed.

Finally, we all measure success differently. I'd be happy if core users of the board were the only ones using this feature. I don't measure success in commercial properties, but in functionality and the joy of creating, much like with writing music.

The point of this post is not to make people choose and comment on the proposals alone, but also to describe what they need. That's where hydlide got it all wrong, including the subtle touch of mockery.
I agree completely. Sorry my reply was brief. I was just noting that for what Allihoopa does and seeks to do, it's a success. Just shedding light for the folks who love to throw around the word 'fail' just because something isn't their cup of tea. Which goes along with what you are saying. In my eyes, if there are no financial issues or legal issues, and at least some people are using it; then any feature added here I would consider a success.

jappe

20 Mar 2016

Hi,

the ideas sounds like a lot of fun!

I'll try to contribute in any way I can, though I won't have a lot of time.

* Do you already have a good place to store the code if multiple persons are to contribute?
I'd suggest BitBucket as a git remote code repository if there are maximum 5 users that need simultaneous access to the code repo. (it's free up to 5 users, you can create projects/teams there etc. And the free plan allows private repositories, unlike GitHub)

* Need to setup automated tests or other CI?
Perhaps there's something I can do with Jenkins in that case.

Repository feature suggestion:
* Content filtering based on RE:s
Let every user define a list in the user profile with the RE:s the user owns and the "show only compatible projects" togglebox hides the other projects.

ZombieFightsShark

20 Mar 2016

KEVMOVE02 wrote:This particular thread has an odd tone to it. I can't put my finger on what's specifically is off, but I can tell you what I felt: it's like I walked into a musical instrument store, ready to buy one of those "stop dreaming, start playing" packages and everyone is looking at me with that "you're a fool if you think you can make music with that junk". I eventually get the attention of a salesperson who reluctantly helps me because he needs to be available in case a "real musician" walks in. I leave the store not sure what I could have possibly done to these people I've never seen before for them to act like I didn't have a right to even be in the store. Just because we have the ability to crap all over someone else's ambitions doesn't mean we have to exercise that right whenever possible. I'm not even sure it was to anyone's benefit to share the offending podcast, because all it accomplishes is making everyone choose a side. That sounds like a "really effective way to get people to want to collaborate."
You hit the nail on the head. It got acidic and made me go from "oh boy!" To "oh... No."

jappe

27 Mar 2016

I suspect that this idea will not materialize unless more people speak out and praise it?

TheGodOfRainbows

31 Mar 2016

I don't understand why Hydlide seems to want to discourage these ideas. Why does he seem bothered by it? He has nothing to gain or lose by this venture if it goes forward, am I correct? So why does he seem, I don't know....almost offended....or bothered by what Kenni does with ReasonTalk. If you are reading this Hydlide, I have nothing against you at all. I like your videos and appreciate your knowledge, so just know that. I say, the more the merrier. I want Hydlides ventures to succeed and the same for ReasonTalk and any other resource that help facilitates the creation of music.

If no one tried doing something that others did not succeed at, we would have no progress in anything. So, yes, please, keep these ideas afloat. I have zero technical knowledge about implementing these kinds of projects, so I can't help there. All I can offer is my encouragement.

My biggest concern with collaboration, is conflicts arising from having disagreements about who then "owns" the song, or how much credit each collaborator thinks they deserve. But maybe that's not an issue at all.

• Information