antidote and other "new" synths

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
samsome

15 Mar 2016

Hi i have seen refills made for antidote and some other newer synths.

Can't those sounds be produced in Thor or the other synths already included with reason?

One reason i bought Reason was to limit myself....now i see they keep adding synth about synth and try to promote it with new refills?

whats ur opinion

thanks

MannequinRaces

15 Mar 2016

Yes and no. Really depends on each synths feature set. You can still limit yourself. Just stay away from REs!

CookieClimber

15 Mar 2016

Combinators can produce so many sounds it's almost unimaginable once you use them correctly. Antidote is great. But there are more creative ways of making music in reason too. Start by putting a line mixer in a combinator, then route in two Thors using the same preset, pan them right and left in the line mixer and start playing around inside the thors. Endless fun

Vince-Noir-99

15 Mar 2016

*Most* REs will accomplish what you can already do with stock devices, but in different (better/worse) ways, quality and workflow - wise.

I understand the itch to go check out new things, which by all means, can help your productivity, but more often than not I admit I found myself ending up using stock modules more... If like me you seek simplicity (I switched to Reason less than a year ago for similar reasons), try not to catch the RE shopping bug :D

I never had as many plugins as I do now in Reason! Hahaha

selig
RE Developer

15 Mar 2016

Antidote vs Thor is a good example of things one device easily does that would be a HUGE pain to do in the other. Take Antidotes waveform/voice "stacking" feature. You can have up to twelve of any waveform and you have detune and PAN them. To build this in Thor you couldn't even start with the Multi-Osc because it's mono. You'd have to use individual oscillators, and then you could only use two per Thor if you wanted separate outputs (assuming you want separate filtering too). That's four Thor's and a lot of workarounds just to emulate this one feature. Then what if you want to stack the stereo multi oscillators in octaves, fifths, etc. - things Antidote easily accomplishes that would be a pain with Thor.

Looking at this the other way around - how about step sequencer tricks - Antidote can't touch most of those patches. I've used Thor for things like polarity inversion, pseudo-random value generators, even built a Leslie emulation with them - things that are impossible to do in Antidote.

Again, what's easy in one synth is difficult at best (and impossible at worst) with the other.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

The_G

16 Mar 2016

A good way to think of soft synths is as hardware tools. Thor is a great multitool. It can do most things you want a soft synth to do. But sometimes more specialized tools do it more efficiently, or even better.

Soft synths are just platforms that allow you to modify, modulate and combine digital waveforms in different ways. The differences are: (1) the initial waveforms; (2) the tools for modifying them; (3) the tools for modulating them; and (4) the tools for combining them. You can create similar sounds with a host of soft synths, but it's also about whether you are going to actually create the sounds you want to create with the tools at your disposal.

For example, I can use Thor to make JU-06 type sounds, but I find it's much easier and intuitive to do so with reDominator, and my JU-06-style patches sound better when I make them in reDominator. Someone else's? Maybe not. But mine do. On the other hand, I can't make good FM bell/synthvox sounds with Thor, so I have to use something else (in my case, FM8, but for REs, PX7 or FM4).
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

• Information