No one has maxed out Reasons capabilities yet

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Revise

14 May 2016

Show me one person who has done absolutely everything they could with Reason and actually needs new features..
Also, there are countless tools to use in addition to Reason to complete any audio task, big or small. All this complaining strikes me as bored people who aren't inspired and never actually finish any music.. What happened to creativity and making use out of what one has? Many masters of music have done much more with much less..

GRIFTY

14 May 2016

Nobody maxed out the possibilities of banging cave rocks together either

Revise

15 May 2016

Haha well if you are comparing Reason to banging rocks well, I'm not sure if you are going to find something advanced enough for your extensive needs..

zakalwe

15 May 2016

reason 9 must be real as it's triggered the classic denial response

you don't need new features to make music

the features are not set or explicit and won't be until the last day of beta-testing

features lacking will come in promised or assumed point upgrades to justify the price at some point.

ravisoni

15 May 2016

Actually need new features? Perhaps when there are deadlines to be met and some sort of workflow that could help with that? At least that's what new features mean to me.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

pjeudy

15 May 2016

Revise wrote:Show me one person who has done absolutely everything they could with Reason and actually needs new features..
I understand the breath of your statement...but I think it's a TRAP! I'll bite.
Why should you do everything absolutely possible? Doesn't doing everything absolutely possible get in the way of you making music?
Revise wrote:there are countless tools to use in addition to Reason to complete any audio task, big or small
It's normal to use other tools to complete your music no matter what DAW you use, for example some people use a hardware desk to sum there music back into the computer or use hardware Compressor,EQ's the list goes on. That has nothing to do with what's being requested for REASON.
Revise wrote:What happened to creativity and making use out of what one has? Many masters of music have done much more with much less..
That's a wise thing to say but a lot people who say that...say it every single time they want to shut down request or criticism of REASON. Are you saying that people who ask for features or update there DAW are simply not creative.
And if we all should follow those Masters and do more with what have...what's the point of Propellerheads updating there software or anyone else, REASON/RECORD can do way more then what those Masters had. Can we assume that you haven't updated your REASON copy in theses last few years and probably wont in the next few years ? Surely you haven't done absolutely everything you could with Reason to actually need a new version + features..
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Yonatan

15 May 2016

Less is more, more or less...but more is better if it makes one work less, achieving a certain creative result faster, so one can enjoy the sun in the park, getting new creative inspiration. Things that makes me have to stare at a computer screen longer than I know would be necessary, well, that makes me want progress. Audio-editing tasks might not even be needed if everything done top notch from the start to finish. But that takes time to practice and it´s ok if you record yourself. But when working with others and things are tight and dont want to be caught in tedious tasks, updates and new functionality is great relief. You can concentrate more on the fun part, and less with headache work-arounds that you know could be easily fixed.
But yes, in some ways, overall, we are more spoiled today.
Some voices for more and better is laziness or unwillingness to learn the tools better, but also, a lot of it is logical and reasonable.

PhutureD

15 May 2016

Revise wrote:Show me one person who has done absolutely everything they could with Reason and actually needs new features..
Also, there are countless tools to use in addition to Reason to complete any audio task, big or small. All this complaining strikes me as bored people who aren't inspired and never actually finish any music.. What happened to creativity and making use out of what one has? Many masters of music have done much more with much less..
i agree 100% with you.
I wonder if there are users of other daws who feel/react so very strongly about a piece of software as reason users do.
i feel reason has plenty to offer, and it is the most important piece of the puzzle i am working on. everything else, like free vst's
soundpacks etc are all bonuses. i agree that making the best of what one has is crucial to succeed with your plan.
i have a pc which dates back to 2005, speakers ( cheap pc speakers ) just as old, headset held together with tape.
i get what i can afford and make good use of it. there was a similar post on this forum in regards to reason not being "pro enough"
and people getting tired of the"reason sound " . at the end of the day , no one who is listening to your music actually cares
how it is being made,except for those who are might be highly critical of your work and your work is being judged.im sure that some wonder"how the hell did he do that"? but mostly all they wanna do is hear what you have next in store for your fans and if you have more of what they like hearing.
if it is good, they will accept it as that, no explanation of "how" is needed. I will rather spend no money on Re's/sample packs/refills, wishing for new features/upgrades and be productive than spend all my money and then cry afterwards and have regrets.

Raveshaper

15 May 2016

Revise wrote:Show me one person who has done absolutely everything they could with Reason and actually needs new features.
*Raises hand*
Revise wrote:What happened to creativity and making use out of what one has?
Well, that's really at the heart of your question I think. Not many have made the most use out of what they have, which is not necessarily a matter of Reason's maximum capabilities. Getting the mose use out of what is right there already requires dedication and a lot of creativity.
Revise wrote:Many masters of music have done much more with much less.
Yes. I agree a lot with this. But the thing about progress is, it only moves in one direction. This is now, not then.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

avasopht
Competition Winner

15 May 2016

Needing a particular feature is nothing to do with creativity or whether you've maxed out Reason. It is simply, I require X, Reason does not have X. I could creatively make use of Y and Z, but my task requires X.

Revise

15 May 2016

avasopht wrote:Needing a particular feature is nothing to do with creativity or whether you've maxed out Reason. It is simply, I require X, Reason does not have X. I could creatively make use of Y and Z, but my task requires X.
Yes, part of what I am saying is that there are many ways to get X, meaning other software. I realize that some want Reason to be everything for them, I get that, but impatiently waiting for the props to implement everything, I just think that the time may be better spent elsewhere.

zakalwe

15 May 2016

Revise wrote:
avasopht wrote:Needing a particular feature is nothing to do with creativity or whether you've maxed out Reason. It is simply, I require X, Reason does not have X. I could creatively make use of Y and Z, but my task requires X.
Yes, part of what I am saying is that there are many ways to get X, meaning other software. I realize that some want Reason to be everything for them, I get that, but impatiently waiting for the props to implement everything, I just think that the time may be better spent elsewhere.
i agree but the problem with that is its not like having a good old rage at steinberg and switching to S1 because your plugins won't travel. i'm happy to play wait-and-see with reason and use it in rewire mode when i feel like it but i can't justify buying another RE and probably a lot of people feel the same i'd imagine.

and i just trialled devastator which is a thorough test of resolve (i passed!)

guitfnky

15 May 2016

Unless Reason 9 is perfect, does everything I want it to, in the way I want it to, and nothing I don't want it to, it's not worth upgrading.

This is the apparent attitude of a lot of people who post here, and I'm with the OP, it's irritating. If you've got nothing better to do with your time than batch and moan day in, and day out, about a piece of software you seemingly don't even like, you really ought to find another hobby. I've said it before, and it bears repeating...
guitfnky wrote:switch to a different DAW, and STFU already.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

zakalwe

15 May 2016

I already have.

like many who've escaped cult abuse, it's natural to try and help the others. :thumbs_up:

guitfnky

15 May 2016

zakalwe wrote:I already have.
You haven't though. You're forgetting the most important part...

zakalwe

15 May 2016

would you like a tissue?

guitfnky

15 May 2016

zakalwe wrote:would you like a tissue?
You might be better off hanging on to that yourself, what with all the tears you've shed over a piece of software. :lol:

zakalwe

15 May 2016

popcorn m7, i'm buying shares in butterkist for the KVR thread

Dave909

15 May 2016

I just need more of everything! lol

Revise

15 May 2016

zakalwe wrote:popcorn m7, i'm buying shares in butterkist for the KVR thread
What did you switch to, out of curiosity?

pjeudy

15 May 2016

guitfnky wrote: I've said it before, and it bears repeating...
guitfnky wrote: STFU already.
You're actually correct, you have said that twice now. :clap:
TWO BANS AND YOU ARE GONE FOR GOOD!!!

- Remain respectful of other users, moderators and administrators at all times.

- You are not free to attack, degrade, insult, or otherwise belittle them or the quality of this community. It does not matter what title or power you hold in these forums, you are expected to obey this rule. Doing otherwise will get your account banned temporarily, or permanently if the situation becomes severe enough (this will be left to the discretion of the moderation team).

- For example, phrases such as "shut up, noob, idiot," are indicative of problematic posts and should be reported. Suggested alternatives include "I disagree with what you said for the following reasons..." Please remember to stay mature and thoughtful at all times.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

zakalwe

15 May 2016

Revise wrote:
zakalwe wrote:popcorn m7, i'm buying shares in butterkist for the KVR thread
What did you switch to, out of curiosity?
studio one. it's really nice but i hate the undo with the intensity of a thousand stars. and pretty much every reason head who swaps to it will too.

Revise

15 May 2016

Interesting. I tried Studio One but couldn't get past the busy GUI, it seems very powerful though.

zakalwe

15 May 2016

yeah it seems like it would suit a 4K. you can break out the mixer at least. i still think reaper is more powerful but studio one comes with a better mastering suite.

fieldframe
RE Developer

15 May 2016

The OP is definitely correct. Reason has, if I've done the maths correctly, a theoretical maximum Music Greatness Points throughput of 2380, and from the Music Greatness benchmark tests I've seen, even the best songs (by some famous artists that are known Reason users) top out at around 1750-1800. That's a headroom of at least 500-600 Music Greatness Points waiting to be discovered by some industrious users.

So Reason definitely has not been maxed out yet.

• Information