Quick bassline help

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
graeme75

17 May 2016

HI

What would be the best way to go about this in Reason please. I would like to create a quick random 32 step pattern, where the gate is either on or off, (so all values in a Matrix would be fully on/off). This would create my bassline and then whatever device I used for the sound for the bass and whatever note came in on the sequencer would follow this 32 bit pattern.
This sounds like it should be a doddle, but i cant figure it out. When using random pattern in matrix the gate values are not all maxed out. I have reason 8.3 and in addition to the stock devices I have AutoArp, Predator, Antidote.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Graeme

normen

17 May 2016

I don't quite get what you're trying to do but if you use a matrix the bar in the bottom gives the actual value for the gate, so just click on these and pull them all the way up.

graeme75

17 May 2016

Yes when you hit randomise, is there a way of making all the gate values to default to max?

normen

17 May 2016

Thats just one mouse swipe... Grab the first one, keep the mouse button pressed, move the mouse up and then right across all bars.

Loque

17 May 2016

I am not sure what you mean... Maybe an arpegiator? Than try the RPG-8.
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

17 May 2016

graeme75 wrote:Yes when you hit randomise, is there a way of making all the gate values to default to max?
Do you want a randomized on/off generator, or one where all the values are 100%? Assuming you mean the former, you could use the randomization in the Matrix, and for anything with a value above half, just put it all the way up, and anything below half, put it all the way down. Maybe there's a way to do it that doesn't involve manual clicks, but I'm not all that familiar with the Matrix. I guess there's a randomization feature in the RPG-8 too, but I know even less about that.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

jdub

18 May 2016

graeme75 wrote:I would like to create a quick random 32 step pattern, where the gate is either on or off, (so all values in a Matrix would be fully on/off). This would create my bassline and then whatever device I used for the sound for the bass and whatever note came in on the sequencer would follow this 32 bit pattern.
If I understand correctly, you simply want all gate-on events from the random Matrix pattern to output a maximum value regardless of their original level, and I think I have your solution. You need to remap your CV values, and there are a number of ways that you can do this; I've used Thor in the past for the same, and min/max work like this is pretty simple (route gate to Thor's gate input, route global envelope output to target device), but Little LFO actually makes it even easier, and it's a free RE to boot (highly recommended, by the way; it was a great buy even before it was free). My process was as follows:

1) Set your gate pattern in Matrix to your liking, then route the gate output to Little LFO's gate input.
2) Set Little LFO's envelope's attack & release times to zero and sustain to max.
3) Route Little LFO's envelope output to the gate input of your target device.

That's it. The same process using Thor or even Antidote would be identical, but I like Little LFO here because neither of the two have envelopes with true-zero release times. Also cool about this setup is that you can play with the attack, sustain, & release on the envelope to alter your instrument's performance. Non-zero attack times will delay your notes, sustain represents note velocity, and non-zero release times will lengthen your notes & tie them into the next if they're long enough.

Below is a graph comparing input (top) to output (bottom) and what they should look like. I hope this works for you.

friday

18 May 2016

jdub wrote: it's a free RE to boot (highly recommended, by the way; it was a great buy even before it was free).

The same process using Thor or even Antidote would be identical, but I like Little LFO here because neither of the two have envelopes with true-zero release times.
Thanks for that nice information's! And it is Free *WOW*

graeme75

18 May 2016

Thanks for the info, and I think its what I'm after but dont think I explained it very well.

Basically I want the gate pattern i (randomly create) in the Matrix to be the rhythm and feed that into the gate CV(?), whilst the same instrument will take its notes from the main sequencer. I thought I could just draw the notes in the sequencer, attach a matrix to said device but only have the gate cv connected and this would play back the notes on the sequencer but with the rhythm of the matrix gate sequence. I can't seem to get this to work

jdub

18 May 2016

graeme75 wrote:Basically I want the gate pattern i (randomly create) in the Matrix to be the rhythm and feed that into the gate CV(?), whilst the same instrument will take its notes from the main sequencer. I thought I could just draw the notes in the sequencer, attach a matrix to said device but only have the gate cv connected and this would play back the notes on the sequencer but with the rhythm of the matrix gate sequence. I can't seem to get this to work
I took a little bit of time thinking about this, but the solution ended up being pretty simple here, too. My process:

1) Create an RPG-8, turn off the arpeggiator, set velocity to 127 fixed, then route its note CV output to the note input on your target device.
2) Route the gate output from your Matrix (or the gate modified by Little LFO if you decided to fix the gates as detailed previously) to the CV input 1 on an instance of Thor.
3) Route the gate output from RPG-8 to the CV input 2 on Thor.
4) Program the following line in Thor's mod matrix: [Src: CV In 1][Amt: 100][Dst: CV Out 1][Amt: 100][Scl: CV In 2]
5) Route Thor's CV output 1 to the gate input of your target device.

RPG-8 will now be your MIDI target. The routing through Thor will have the effect of only allowing the gate from Matrix to pass through when a gate from RPG-8 is also present. Let me know if that sorts it for you.

Gorgon

18 May 2016

friday wrote:
jdub wrote: it's a free RE to boot (highly recommended, by the way; it was a great buy even before it was free).

The same process using Thor or even Antidote would be identical, but I like Little LFO here because neither of the two have envelopes with true-zero release times.
Thanks for that nice information's! And it is Free *WOW*
LittleLFO Is one of the best RE's to have in your toolbox. It's fantastic. A hell of a lot better than Pulsar, for example.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

graeme75

18 May 2016

Hi

What I am trying to emulate in Reason is what he does from 02:40 to 03:00 in this YT Vid

Whats the easiest way to achieve this in Reason?

graeme75

19 May 2016

Maybe one of these new Players in R9 will now do the job :P

Stranger.

19 May 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 03 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

RandomSkratch

19 May 2016

graeme75 wrote:Hi

What I am trying to emulate in Reason is what he does from 02:40 to 03:00 in this YT Vid

Whats the easiest way to achieve this in Reason?
From your further description I figured you meant a trance gate and from that video confirmed it. Use Alligator. It's basically a trance gate on steroids! Check the Props YouTube page for some examples and tutorials.

RandomSkratch

20 May 2016

graeme75 wrote:Whats the easiest way to achieve this in Reason?
I just found this link in the Tutorials and Techniques subforum. (http://reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7494626)

Although he's using a RE (Distributor) you could easily just use a spider as I think you're looking for the entire freq range to open/close (like a standard gate) and not filtered like the Alligator does. Make sure you turn off all the effects on the Alligator and open up the filters to just get a clean sound. But this should enable you to use the randomize feature of the Matrix to trigger the gate.

• Information