Reason 9: Midi-Preview and/or Midi-Drag-and-Drop

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
OldGoat

19 May 2016

A question to people that are currently testing the beta:

Has Reason 9 one of these features?

1) Preview Midi-files in the "Import"-Midifile-Dialog or somewhere else in the Explorer that came with R8.
2) Drag and Drop a Midi-file into an already existing track, so that no new Midi-Track is created.

Thanks!
Last edited by OldGoat on 20 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.

riemac

19 May 2016

I would like to know this as well.

joeyluck

19 May 2016

2) I don't think I ever tried this before / I don't think I've ever worked with a single channel MIDI file with Reason 8.

For me, the files I have worked with just to goof around are always multi-channel. So I expect it to create ID8's. It's a way of labeling what is what. And then I can drag the individual note lanes to the appropriate instruments to assign them (or drag an instrument on top of the ID8 I would like to replace). Otherwise there would still need to be another step where it presents you with dialog asking what channel you want to assign to what.

But again, I actually haven't ever tried with a single channel MIDI file... If that's what you are after.

kitekrazy

19 May 2016

OldGoat wrote:A question to people that are currently testing the beta:

Has Reason 9 one of these features?

1) Preview Midi-files in the "Import"-Browser-Dialog.
2) Drag and Drop a Midi-file into an already existing track, so that no new Midi-Track is created.

Thanks!
Live is about the only DAW that does this.

gak

19 May 2016

Shihiiiit, I'd settle for just being able to drag drop a freaking midi clip onto the track I want :x

(maybe that is in 9? It's the most remedial missing thing)

BPGeez

19 May 2016

I'd like to audition them, since this has been disabled on Mac for a while..
Reason is my girlfriend. Sometimes she mistreats me, but I still love her.

Checkout my tunes made with Reason: https://soundcloud.com/geez-musicals

slightlyprog

02 Jan 2017

Now that Reason 9 has been out a while, did they end up improving the MIDI preview and import features at all?

Electric-Metal

02 Jan 2017

slightlyprog wrote:Now that Reason 9 has been out a while, did they end up improving the MIDI preview and import features at all?
Not at all, sorry :roll:
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

riemac

02 Jan 2017

slightlyprog wrote:Now that Reason 9 has been out a while, did they end up improving the MIDI preview and import features at all?
Sadly, no. I was hoping for midi drag and drop as well, but it has still not been implemented.

slightlyprog

02 Jan 2017

Thanks Electric-Metal and riemac. Those features would justify upgrading for me. The new Drummer REs would also become massively more flexible if you could preview and then drag in MIDI like you can with rex loops or audio files.

Constantinfetter

10 Aug 2018

i have migrated from FL to Rreason 10;
I works on Trance, OST, Orchestral And Experimental music;

I'd like to create library for my stuff. Midi, Sounds, Wave-tables...
for now i have organised individual projects only and have stuck there. There is no category organisation tool (not mining lazy favorites)

The most i lack midi preview tool, single channel, multi channel no difference - all audio player can play this midi files.

i'm only satisfied with Caustic music project midis, have nothing to change; But most of my FL projects are Samples, Drives, Arp; Some single project containing 5-10 music material inside it. The filename of midi file is different, when i import them inside the reason names change to vsti name from old project... quite dull.

• Information