Reason 9 is ridicubad...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Chizmata

20 May 2016

and that is friendly for s***s a**

im sorry im the one who has to make this thread but i found no ther place to post this.

ive tested the beta and my favourite feature is the new background color. there is literally no other change that makes a sense for me. the players are a joke, i dont know what they were thinking. have an excuse for charging you money? its basically a second appregiator, a poop-simple delay that has a hard time competing with the ddl7 and a chord generator for people who cant press buttons themselves.

ok i see that some features make sense for other people like bounce in place, convert audio/midi or the whole voice editing thing - not for my kind of music though. and im not sure if these alone are worth 129 bucks... surely not for me. this stuff could have been r8.5 too. tbh i absolutely hate the direction they are going with r9 (if that can be called a direction at all) and i think they're actually done and just want to milk the franchise until it dies.

edit: and no i also dont care about 1000 souds caus i use no presets and rarely samples.

peace out, gonna stick with what i have.

SoulState

20 May 2016

I feel the exact opposite to everything you've just written.

C
Last edited by SoulState on 20 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

selig
RE Developer

20 May 2016

Wait: you didn't HAVE to make this thread - no one is forcing you to do so (but apology accepted none the less).
;)

Should I just go ahead and lock this now, or wait for it to get even uglier?
Selig Audio, LLC

tibah

20 May 2016

So, we got both sites covered, right? ;)

The_G

20 May 2016

It's fine to be disappointed in what R9 offers you personally, but not everyone shares those sentiments or is likely to find the midi effects as "useless" as you do. I can think of a lot of creative possibilities for me, for example. And I'm a former jazz guitarist who has been using Reason for 15 years, not some n00b who doesn't know shit from a shingle.

In other words, we are different people with different methods and that's fine.

Now, to make a general statement here (not singling you out), I really wish people would just own their subjectivity and not make blanket generalizations like "the thing you are excited about sucks" or, conversely, "the thing you are upset about doesn't matter because it doesn't matter to me."

For example, maybe it's more constructive to say something like:
"I'm disappointed in R9. I was expecting other features. These features are not very useful to me, so I don't think I can justify spending money on this upgrade."
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

WongoTheSane

20 May 2016

selig wrote:Should I just go ahead and lock this now, or wait for it to get even uglier?
Maybe leave it as a honeypot? ;)

Chizmata

20 May 2016

so i guess you all are happy? well im gonna stare at my new blue background then...

tibah

20 May 2016

I guess the main issue here is - what point are you actually trying to make? I follow you on SoundCloud and I like what you do musically and I know you may have different wishes for what Reason should become or is, because you work in a very specific way, but at the end of the day, if this upgrade isn't for you, don't upgrade. No need to raise anger towards PH or Reason 9 and start this kind of thread or semi-insult people who would have a use for e.g. a chord generator.

Chizmata

20 May 2016

tibah wrote:I guess the main issue here is - what point are you actually trying to make? I follow you on SoundCloud and I like what you do musically and I know you may have different wishes for what Reason should become or is, but at the end of the day, if this upgrade isn't for you, don't upgrade. No need to raise anger towards PH or Reason 9 and start this kind of thread.
why not have a negative opinion? i dont just dislike reason 9 for me personally, i dont like the whole direction propellerhead is going. there is not the slightest bit im even interested in, actually i even disrespect the kind of devices they introduce. People are still joking about it nowadays but i bet there is already someone at propellerhead working overtime on a "hit button" for reason 10.

Reasonistas
RE Developer

20 May 2016

Chizmata wrote:so i guess you all are happy? well im gonna stare at my new blue background then...
No, apparently not everyone is happy.
Reason 9 Upgrade Voting.png
Reason 9 Upgrade Voting.png (35.15 KiB) Viewed 3154 times
ImageImageImage

The_G

20 May 2016

Chizmata wrote:
tibah wrote:I guess the main issue here is - what point are you actually trying to make? I follow you on SoundCloud and I like what you do musically and I know you may have different wishes for what Reason should become or is, but at the end of the day, if this upgrade isn't for you, don't upgrade. No need to raise anger towards PH or Reason 9 and start this kind of thread.
why not have a negative opinion? i dont just dislike reason 9 for me personally, i dont like the whole direction propellerhead is going. there is not the slightest bit im even interested in, actually i even disrespect the kind of devices they introduce. People are still joking about it nowadays but i bet there is already someone at propellerhead working overtime on a "hit button" for reason 10.
You should be critical of the things that don't work for you. But you framed your subjective opinion as an objective statement on R9's quality, which it is not. And that serves no purpose other than to piss people off.

Like I said above, own your subjectivity.
Last edited by The_G on 20 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

Reasonistas
RE Developer

20 May 2016

Chizmata wrote:
Wait, when you say "hit button", do you mean a button that transforms your Reason song into a hit or that makes the next Reason update a hit?
ImageImageImage

Stranger.

20 May 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 03 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Chizmata

20 May 2016

The_G wrote:
Chizmata wrote:
Because you framed your subjective opinion as an objective statement on R9's quality. Like I said above, own your subjectivity and don't pass it off as anything else, because that's all it is.
i think i pointed out my subjectivity quite a lot in the OP. just not about the players, this stuff is so outrageous that i cant control myself.

dioxide

20 May 2016

selig wrote:Wait: you didn't HAVE to make this thread - no one is forcing you to do so (but apology accepted none the less).
;)

To be honest I agree with him. For the first time ever I'm sticking with 8. That might change with future point updates but I don't see the point in switching right now when 8.3 is stable and does what I need. I like the dark themes but I'm not installing 9 just for that.

tibah

20 May 2016

Did you see that interview with Ernst, some years back, sitting somewhere in a garden, probably with Thomas Wendt. The basic statement was kinda - how much one should still feel he's contributing to the music, so it's still his own creation. Compared to taking a picture but still feeling it's actually YOUR picture. Now music is a different topic and you could argue that Audiomatic was the very first PH device that introduced a kind of shortcut, but thinking about the players, I see them as an inspirational tool, to lead me to progressions I wouldn't play on my own or getting into experimentation. Raise the note count, change the inversion, add some lower/higher octave stuff and you may end up somewhere.

Because here is the PH philosophy "rubbing" against their geeky, CV rhythm - make people be able to make music, easily. If technology can help someone to be able to find his way around music, or in the realms of the new player device, actually have an output, see what he did and even learn something from that, I don't see why you would call them people that are not able to do that on their own.

The_G

20 May 2016

Chizmata wrote:
The_G wrote:
Chizmata wrote:
Because you framed your subjective opinion as an objective statement on R9's quality. Like I said above, own your subjectivity and don't pass it off as anything else, because that's all it is.
i think i pointed out my subjectivity quite a lot in the OP. just not about the players, this stuff is so outrageous that i cant control myself.
This is not making a subjective argument:

"Reason 9 is ridicubad."
"the players are a joke"
"its basically a second appregiator, a poop-simple delay that has a hard time competing with the ddl7 and a chord generator for people who cant press buttons themselves."

Come on, man. I respect your opinion, but please respect the opinions' of others as well.

Stranger.

20 May 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 03 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

The_G

20 May 2016

(And that's coming from someone who is personally disappointed that there's no Subtraktor MKII or new synth.)

Softphonics

20 May 2016

As a vocalist personally away from development, I am totally loving the pitch editing in the sequencer, been playing with it all day!! ..and it works so smoothly. Honestly the upgrade is worth that alone for me on a personal level... Hands down.. take my money
------
Serious Sound For Serious Producers :reason:
http://www.Softphonics.com

Chizmata

20 May 2016

The_G wrote:
Chizmata wrote:
The_G wrote:
Chizmata wrote:
This is not making a subjective argument:

"Reason 9 is ridicubad."
"the players are a joke"
"its basically a second appregiator, a poop-simple delay that has a hard time competing with the ddl7 and a chord generator for people who cant press buttons themselves."

Come on, man. I respect your opinion, but please respect the opinions' of others as well.
G, you really misread my last post
Last edited by Chizmata on 20 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.

WongoTheSane

20 May 2016

As a dev, there's another aspect that really irritating. Those guys (Props) have spent several THOUSAND man-hours on this update. None of this is easy or quick to imagine, devise, design, code, integrate with all the rest, make sure it doesn't break anything else, test, debug... Granted, it's not perfect (but then nothing ever is), but it works, it does things that simply couldn't be possible otherwise in this context, it is a set of incredibly rich tools that can be combined ad infinitum and can produce excellent results in the right hands. Those tools may or may not appeal to you, depending on your inclination, but having a quick glance at it - seriously, have you even tried them? - and saying it's a joke, ridicubad and whatever else, that's just rude for rudeness sake.

It's equivalent to someone pressing play on one of your pieces, you know, one you particularly like and have pored over for hours, pressing stop before the first bar is even finished and saying "that's shit music mate, the mixing is shit and it's a shitty genre anyway and you're a shitty composer". Whatever happened to "I don't like it so I'll leave to let people enjoy it"??? I mean, if you don't like a movie, will you leave the theater or comment aloud "it's a shit movie" for two hours?

You're entitled to your opinion, and entitled to express it, but being gratuitously rude makes you ridiculous, childish and entitled. Dismissing good people's good work like it was nothing... Shame.

gak

20 May 2016

Now, which lock will I be in before?

or the standard.......

gak

20 May 2016

Oh, and at least you HAVE your beta :x

mreese80

20 May 2016

dioxide wrote:
selig wrote:Wait: you didn't HAVE to make this thread - no one is forcing you to do so (but apology accepted none the less).
;)

To be honest I agree with him. For the first time ever I'm sticking with 8. That might change with future point updates but I don't see the point in switching right now when 8.3 is stable and does what I need. I like the dark themes but I'm not installing 9 just for that.

Same here man. The features aren't for me but i don't dislike reason at all.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

• Information