Behavior Of Patches And Songs With Line6 Devices In Reason 9

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
kuhliloach

23 May 2016

I'm curious how Reason 9 is handling songs and patches that reference Line6 devices. I assume the Softube amps are being substituted. If so is there some kind of compensation that configured the Softube amp to sound the same? What errors / messages are presented? If we own Refills that reference Line6 devices are they broken or noticeably altered in Reason 9?

joeyluck

23 May 2016

They are automatically replaced with Softube Amps which are bypassed. I used my Shreddage ReFill and there were no issues with it loading.

platzangst

23 May 2016

kuhliloach wrote:If so is there some kind of compensation that configured the Softube amp to sound the same?
I'm also interested in this. The Line 6 amps could open Pod Farm patches that had effects beyond simple amp/cab simulations. So you could get a patch that had distortion or delays or reverb, chorus, flanging, and other more esoteric things. I would be very surprised if the Softube amps could recreate all those features, but I've been surprised before.

jam-s

24 May 2016

As the new amps are bypassed I guess you will have to set them up to your own liking. (Of course this means all patches that include any Line6 amps will sound different.

fieldframe
RE Developer

24 May 2016

jam-s wrote:As the new amps are bypassed I guess you will have to set them up to your own liking. (Of course this means all patches that include any Line6 amps will sound different.
Anyone know if what is now known as the "Legacy FSB" has hand-tuned Softube replacement patches (basically re-patched by someone at Propellerhead to sound as close as possible) for FSB Combinators that contained Line6 amps?

Loque

25 May 2016

I did not used Line6 very much, but i realy dislike that it will not be possible to render a song again with the same result. Sad, realy... So time to bounce everything before upgrade.
Reason12, Win10

WillyOD

25 May 2016

Any chance of Props bringing back Line 6 amps as "an external RE" or is time to let go?
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

platzangst

25 May 2016

WillyOD wrote:Any chance of Props bringing back Line 6 amps as "an external RE" or is time to let go?
I have a hunch that it's Line 6 one would have to convince. I don't think there's anything from a technical standpoint that would prevent it.

madmacman

25 May 2016

Loque wrote:I did not used Line6 very much, but i realy dislike that it will not be possible to render a song again with the same result. Sad, realy... So time to bounce everything before upgrade.
This was announced long ago - with plenty of time for everybody to get along with it. And it's still possible to keep an older version of Reason up & running for legacy projects.

WillyOD

25 May 2016

I know but it's still a slight hassle to keep separate versions of Reason and it would be nice to have everything "in-the-box", and not to have features removed with updates.

It just feels strange that this was the only solution Props/Line6 was able to come up, since this is afaik the only backwards compatibility breaking thing they've done. I know it's probably a business/licensing issue and it all boils down to money, but still, it's a disservice to users.
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

AlienJunk

25 May 2016

This really stinks. At tbe very least tbey could have made a close approximation with the softube amp settings so the FSB presets kept their character. Are the Line 6 patches even still there like Arena Crunch, Tea in Sahara etc?

All of my paid-for Refills and custom made patches are now useless. Thanks Propellerhead, for instantly devaluing my collection.

And what about the wah? For CV driven effects thats just going to die ? And moving forward, is there no wah? I dont want to root around with dubious wah combis constructed by other users.

Probably just as well I didnt buy a MiDI expeession pedal bank a few months back. Anyway maybe its time to buy an Eleven rack and not rely on Reason for guitar. Seems odd that my favourite (and only) DAW is kinda forcing my hand to use another DAW (the Eleven hardware comes with ProTools).

Loque

25 May 2016

AlienJunk wrote:This really stinks. At tbe very least tbey could have made a close approximation with the softube amp settings so the FSB presets kept their character. Are the Line 6 patches even still there like Arena Crunch, Tea in Sahara etc?

All of my paid-for Refills and custom made patches are now useless. Thanks Propellerhead, for instantly devaluing my collection.

And what about the wah? For CV driven effects thats just going to die ? And moving forward, is there no wah? I dont want to root around with dubious wah combis constructed by other users.

Probably just as well I didnt buy a MiDI expeession pedal bank a few months back. Anyway maybe its time to buy an Eleven rack and not rely on Reason for guitar. Seems odd that my favourite (and only) DAW is kinda forcing my hand to use another DAW (the Eleven hardware comes with ProTools).
You can create a Wah with any envelope follower like Scream, Pulverizer, nearly every compressor or with Thor. There are also Wah presets in the FSB i think.

A good replacement would be apreciated...

I sometimes thought about a different DAW too, but actually i think another DAW just makes it more complicated and to focus on making music decreases. I tried several times ago Ableton Live and it was streight forward working with samples, but rewiring sucked. I dont realy can say about Reason it is straight firward to use, but its ok. Sometimes i just got lost in Reason. Maybe i need 1 or 2 additional monitors...

Actually i still miss a statement from PH about Line6that satisfies the users...
Reason12, Win10

AlienJunk

25 May 2016

Youre right. I dont want the lerning curve of another DAW. I would probably only use PT for saving pedal presets. Its a shame i cant route that straight into the Reason sequencer though.

Im not much of a back panel guy so I dont know how to make my own wah. And arent the FSB ones 'auto wah'?

Maybe I could do something with Etch Red

EndOfGreatness

25 May 2016

I am all for the new features of Reason 9 but as someone who paid for POD Farm Platinum for use with Reason, I don't know if it will be worth the upgrade. I use the Line 6 amp/cabs way more than the need for easy vocal pitch editing. The Softube Guitar module isn't very good and limited on selections... :(
Sound Designer for 1336 Studios - Reasoning since 2001

• Information