Kong Gate CV out to Thor Gate CV in question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
eox

02 Jun 2016

Hey everyone recently I've been working on a project and in need of help as to how to achieve midi notes being recorded when being triggered by a Kong pad CV out. Essentially, my current setup has a Kong drum kit with the kick drum's gate cv out routed into Thor's Gate cv in. I'm using Thor as my sub bass and when I hit record, Thor is responding correctly and playing the bass every time the kick is being triggered via Kong pad. However, when I hit record Thor is not recording the midi note and I'm curious as to how to get that to record? Reason being is for the timing. I need the kick to trigger the sub bass patch of Thor so it matches up. Is this possible?

jdub

02 Jun 2016

If throughout your song you're only using one note for the sub, you could either tune Thor itself to that note using the octave & semitone knobs on the oscillators, or you could use a one-step pattern in a Matrix to send that note to Thor's CV input.

If you want to use the sub for an actual bassline, you could use an RPG-8 with its arpeggiator turned off to convert the MIDI information to note CV. I think One Note Stand (free RE) can also do the same.

eox

02 Jun 2016

Okay that makes sense! Thank you for explaining that.

Yeah I'm only utilizing the Kong CV out for its triggering/note timing for the sub bass. My idea was to get the kick drum going and simultaneously triggering the sub bass. Once the midi notes are in place, I was going to go into Thor and change the notes so it's not all C3 or whatever note gets recorded. I know I could easily copy the kick pattern and paste it in the Thor track and then adjust accordingly. However, I was curious as to how you could get the midi information recorded from a cv out to a cv in

buddard
RE Developer

02 Jun 2016

eox wrote:Okay that makes sense! Thank you for explaining that.

Yeah I'm only utilizing the Kong CV out for its triggering/note timing for the sub bass. My idea was to get the kick drum going and simultaneously triggering the sub bass. Once the midi notes are in place, I was going to go into Thor and change the notes so it's not all C3 or whatever note gets recorded. I know I could easily copy the kick pattern and paste it in the Thor track and then adjust accordingly. However, I was curious as to how you could get the midi information recorded from a cv out to a cv in
You will be able to do this in Reason 9, using a player device and a Combinator. See this blog post for details: http://roboticbean.com/creative/2016/05 ... -reason-9/

The blog post mentions Step Note Recorder, but you can use a CV output from Kong instead.

Goriila Texas

02 Jun 2016

The easiest way to do it is copy the kong pattern to a thor track so you can see where the kicks hit in the piano roll. Once you see where the kicks hit you can pitch thor hits up on down inside the piano roll. Then you can delete the kong hits.

jdub

02 Jun 2016

eox wrote:However, I was curious as to how you could get the midi information recorded from a cv out to a cv in
I hope I'm not misunderstanding you, but that's what I was describing with my suggestion to use RPG-8 or One-Note Stand in my previous response. With the arpeggiator turned off, RPG-8 simply acts as a MIDI-to-CV converter, and you only need to take its note output to get Thor to play the notes you want; One-Note Stand is a MIDI-to-CV converter, and Little LFO (also free) includes one as well, so you have lots of options. If you wanted to save a device, you could even use Thor itself as the converter by turning off MIDI in the trigger section, routing MIDI note to a CV out ([Src: MIDI Note][Amt: 100][Dst: CV Out] in the mod matrix), then taking that output back to Thor's note input. Does any of that work for you?

• Information