Combinator MK2

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Marco Raaphorst

13 Jun 2016

There are many ideas for expanding the Combinator. 4 pots and 4 buttons is not much. But one of the most important things it lacks is clear information. Imo the pots and buttons should give some information about what the pot/button is doing. This should be customisable in the programmer.

Here's a simply idea I made:
combinator-mk2.jpg
combinator-mk2.jpg (127.66 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
You should give the pot/button a Special Name and you should be able to specify a Range Parameter (on/off/bypass, 0-128, 0-100%, -64/+64 etc). Like this convetion:

Special Name: Range Parameter value. For example:
Smooth Filter: 45%

decibel

13 Jun 2016

surely an extra 2 knobs and buttons wouldnt be too much to ask for ?
Attachments
combi.jpg
combi.jpg (112.58 KiB) Viewed 2453 times

Marco Raaphorst

13 Jun 2016

+1

decibel

13 Jun 2016

then again, the more the merrier perhaps ? ;) *im not even a hardcore combi user, but cant see why they dont add some extra functionality ?

this was a 60 second hatchet job in photoshop, but with a little extra thought put into placement a 16 knob combi wouldn't be hard to mock up nice and neat
Attachments
big combi.jpg
big combi.jpg (182.35 KiB) Viewed 2434 times

Noplan
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2016

Well,
Combinator.jpg
Combinator.jpg (690.03 KiB) Viewed 2424 times
that escalated quickly

decibel

13 Jun 2016

hahahahaha ;) maybe they could include a rotary dial that allows you to choose as many extra rows as you like ?

sdst
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2016

hope you can customize That F. knobs. lol

RandomSkratch

13 Jun 2016

The only thing I would like changed about the Combinator is the ability to use stepped notches on the knobs.

Example: Say you wanted to use a knob to change between 8 different rex loops. You could tell the knob to only have 8 different locations that would snap between each one (instead of the full 127 range).

joeyluck

13 Jun 2016

I agree with some of this. In terms of features, I would be content with the amount of controls present just being improved.

Being able to have an option to simply have the buttons perform like radio buttons and to have knobs move in steps would also be great. User assignable parameter values (i.e. 1-127, 0-100, 50Hz-90Hz, etc) would be fantastic. It's understood that by default 1-127 makes sense as the knobs can be assigned to control any number of things. But if the user could dictate what the values are, that would be much more convenient and intuitive. :)

If the knob is assigned to one parameter, by default, it would display that parameter's values. If more than one thing is assigned to the knob, it would then switch to displaying 1-127 by default (with an option to redefine).

Majestik Monkey

13 Jun 2016

U started something now Marco ' lol :thumbs_up: :lol:

8cros

13 Jun 2016

My version is probably seem modest. I prefer a small number of controllers, but for the increased routing.

- Unlimited modulation routing.
- Fold with additional controllers:
X, Y slider.
Large, high-resolution fader.
+ 4 rotary
+ 4 buttons

- Multifunction display:
In which it will be possible to change the temperament oscillators / samplers. And internal routing tools. To make polyphonic shaping and FM modulation between the instruments.

But I doubt very much that you need to change something. Most of the requests or impossible to implement, or they can be solved in another way.
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

pquenin

13 Jun 2016

For a Combinator Mk II, I will like to see :
+ 4 knobs,
+ 4 buttons,
- the ability to put a combinator in a combinator.

Last Alternative

13 Jun 2016

LOL!
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

8cros

13 Jun 2016

pquenin wrote:For a Combinator Mk II, I will like to see :
Then maybe it's micro combi? ;)
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

martynx

13 Jun 2016

8cros wrote:
And then someone will want to put a combinator in a microcombinator, so there'll have to be a nanocombinator as well.

RandomSkratch

13 Jun 2016

martynx wrote:
8cros wrote:
And then someone will want to put a combinator in a microcombinator, so there'll have to be a nanocombinator as well.
This thread is starting to remind me of

JerrelTheKing

14 Jun 2016

To me this is a very important issue. Updating Native devices. Neptune for example and a few others like Combinator really need a MK2 just as Rv7000 got.

Last Alternative

14 Jun 2016

I think the stock devices definitely need updates!
Neptune (fix the artifacts issue for real), the little gray filter (to have hp & lp), Softube saturation (make a damn output volume knob), Echo (even panning on both sides), get rid of all the latency with Polar, Neptune, and so on. Steeper EQ hp options.. Too much to type.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

fieldframe
RE Developer

14 Jun 2016

You know what I really want for the Combinator? The ability to make new Combinator front panels in the SDK. Think about all the possibilities!

avasopht
Competition Winner

15 Jun 2016

One small feature would be the ability to sum knob values. I've noticed a few combinator patches with brilliant sounds being hampered by this. A workaround is to sum inside the combinator and route back to the CV in.

But yes, a mod matrix would be uber awesome.

dandandaaan

15 Jun 2016

This is absolutely my #1 feature request for R9.5/R10 - how can we make this happen?

While we're making a wishlist, I would really love a built-in mixer, so I don't have to use a new mixer device every single time I want to layer 2 sounds!
singer/songwriter with electronic tendencies

http://pointsmusic.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/points_music

Logic / Ableton Live / Reason Rack / Nord Stage 2 / Moog Grandmother / Eurorack / Guitars, drums, toys

yeahright31

16 Jun 2016

+ 4 knobs,
+ 4 buttons,

I agree buddy, little me would like to be able to put a combinator inside a combinator. Like I wanna use a filter research fx combi with a combi preset and it's not possible or easy to find a work around. :puf_smile:

Would be good to see a 8 knobs and 8 button Combinator!

Pinkbox

16 Jun 2016

And more CV INs!

lofi1990

16 Jun 2016

Just brain storming here, but what if there was a separate "no coding" program/interface that offered near unlimited possibilities for creating instruments, effects, utilities and players? Oscs, lfos, filters, pattern sequencers, etc - a completely modular environment.

For example, you would be able to create an entirely new synth based on "modules" under the hood. Users would only be able to access the the source and modify only if they owned a license for this editor.

Reason users would only see the surface of the devices.

Emian

16 Jun 2016

i'd like to see 8 knobs, 8 FADERS (to control AMP & Filter Envelopes of multiple synths) & 8 buttons.

Triple 8 sounds quite doable to me :)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

• Information