Propellerheads Balance audio interface any uses now?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
BLUEFISHCOLNE

15 Jun 2016

hi i have a props balance audio interface with win 10 issues galore read all the links looking like new audio interface no point selling the price of these units have dropped to nothing surprise surprise any uses now can somebody write a driver or something i like my balance ....

boggg1

15 Jun 2016

Win 10 works OK with Balance for me, sorry to hear you are having trouble. What are the symptoms ?

Is it connected to USB 2 (or 3) and without a hub ? Balance does not like USB 3 and also USB 2 which is routed from a USB 3 connection (via any sort of external or internal hub). Guess you knew that already but you haven't given us much info.

Windows 10 is littered with issues like this for some whilst others have no problems at all. I spent 2 months (yes months) trying to get my start button back working, I even learned how to fully operate my system using keyboards shortcuts. I tried many, many things recommended by forums of every type including some serious scripts (which I'm told rewrote the database where the start items are stored) written by those in the know. Nothing worked. Then found one obscure reference on one web site that said DropBox can be the problem. I uninstalled DropBox and the start button came back immediately. I'm told you can put DropBox back and it will still work but I haven't tried yet. This all happened (yes you've guessed it) after a Windows update.

Guess I'm saying keep looking for an answer in the forums.
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refillpacker: :rt:

bitley

15 Jun 2016

Asio 4 All might help.
I love my Balance interface.
Using it on Mac mostly.

Bonkhead

15 Jun 2016

First, i remember someone from propellerhead saying the balance usb 3 issue (on windows 7) had something to do with some hardware/software changes which were solved from windows 8 on and newer mobo's. I'm on win 7 and use native usb 2 ports with no problem with balance.

:PUF_balance: :thumbs_up:

Sinistereo

16 Jun 2016

From what I can tell, Balance suffers from hardware and software issues on Win 8 and 10. I've tried mine with four systems, all have issues. On three, the Balance hardware/driver combination interferes with standby and sleep, variably causing blue screens (only time I've ever seen the blue screen of death on Win 8 or 10), preventing sleep, or preventing correct wake depending on its mood. On the fourth system, no crashes or blue screens, but Balance doesn't wake from sleep until I reboot or start Reason (which for some reason seems to wake it up).

It definitely does not like USB 3. It is the only device that I have that has this issue. My Focusrite Scarlett interface works like a champ regardless of the system or port it is plugged into.

Props failed to properly support this device, which is a shame, because it is so much sexier than the Scarlett.

TL;DR: I feel your pain. Balance doesn't like Windows.

Bonkhead

16 Jun 2016

afaik all usb soudncards suffer from loss of connection if you use sleep/wake up/stand by.

I know I never use it for that reason alone since I started using usb cards.

Balance likes windows over here. And also on my gf's win 8 laptop, no problem WITH only usb 3 ports.
It had something to to with usb chipset of the mobo.

Ixus

16 Jun 2016

I remember having issues getting Balance to work when my computer was new (still on Win7 tho) The issue was some extra USB drivers that was optional and came with the mother board, I deleted the extra drivers and the unit started working! Im looking at something with more inputs but in all honesty I dont really need more but you know, its fun with gear and all :D

jengstrom
Reason Studios

16 Jun 2016

The Windows driver isn't very compliant and doesn't handle energy saving well.

There are some reported issues with some newer power management / energy saving stuff that have become much more commonplace since Windows 8/8.1. When that stuff is going on, it can manifest itself as Balance tending to BSOD Windows 8/8.1/10. The triggering factors are unclear, but can usually be disabled somewhere (BIOS, Windows or 3rd party control panels), but the settings can be hard to find or pinpoint. Therefore I would not recommend Balance for new Windows users.

That said, Balance is a standard USB Audio Device Class 2.0 interface which includes an Ignition Key and a standard Human Interface Device for the buttons and functions, so it will always work on Mac and Linux, etc. There are such generic drivers for Windows (ploytec, thesycon, others), but I'm not aware of any free ones at the moment.

CR68

16 Jun 2016

I am on Windows 10 64 bit pro and have no Problems at all. I also had no Problems on 7 Or 8.
The only issue i have are the two loud clicks Windows is starting.

Cheers

tibah

16 Jun 2016

Happy Balance user on Windows 7.

Dabbler

16 Jun 2016

Sinistereo wrote:From what I can tell, Balance suffers from hardware and software issues on Win 8 and 10. I've tried mine with four systems, all have issues. On three, the Balance hardware/driver combination interferes with standby and sleep, variably causing blue screens (only time I've ever seen the blue screen of death on Win 8 or 10), preventing sleep, or preventing correct wake depending on its mood. On the fourth system, no crashes or blue screens, but Balance doesn't wake from sleep until I reboot or start Reason (which for some reason seems to wake it up).

It definitely does not like USB 3. It is the only device that I have that has this issue. My Focusrite Scarlett interface works like a champ regardless of the system or port it is plugged into.

Props failed to properly support this device, which is a shame, because it is so much sexier than the Scarlett.

TL;DR: I feel your pain. Balance doesn't like Windows.
I too get the BSOD if I repeat certain motions.

I have learned I must boot my PC, let it settle down, then restart it and Balance behaves pretty well.

If I don't restart, the audio sounds distorted and switching inputs does nothing.

If I unplug/plug USB, the audio clears but when I exit Reason - BSOD every time.

I totally agree - Props failed to properly support this device. It is a shame.

:PUF_balance: :thumbs_up:

pushedbutton

16 Jun 2016

Using it in windows 10 but sometimes (most times) it doesn't show up in the audio device list and I have to 'power cycle' it.
Also the mic input has developed a fault that is fixed by repeatedly hammering the phantom buttons until there is a signal.
spdif out would have been nice and some idea about where i could send it to for repair would be helpful.
other than that I'm obviously very happy with it.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Socram
RE Developer

17 Jun 2016

I had the same bsods and distorted sound, etc that everyone mentioned. I sold it to a friend on Mac for 80 bucks, bought a focusrite Scarlett, and never looked back.
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Palmeira

17 Jun 2016

I'm about to update from 7 to 10 with a Balance - any advice from anyone as to what to look out for?

Thanks

pushedbutton

18 Jun 2016

Palmeira wrote:I'm about to update from 7 to 10 with a Balance - any advice from anyone as to what to look out for?

Thanks
No, it should be fine, it's supported. I'm not entirely convinced my USB ports are running optimally on my PC so you might not see the issues I see. There's no official special considerations to be made anyhow.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Bonkhead

19 Jun 2016

An idea would be to let every balance user drop there motherboard type and say if it works or not so we can check the chipsets, I think that will make some things clear.

dagwood

19 Jun 2016

Palmeira wrote:I'm about to update from 7 to 10 with a Balance - any advice from anyone as to what to look out for?

Thanks
I upgraded from Windows 7, then to Windows 8, and now I'm on Windows 10 - all on the same hardware. My Balance works fine, but I have it on a USB 2.0 port. A USB 3.0 port should work OK on Windows 10, but keep in mind that Balance was never designed to run on anything other than USB 2.0 ports.

Palmeira

03 Jul 2016

Cheers for the replies guys, upgraded to win 10 and Balance working absolutely fine. Well I say absolutely fine - some small teething issues and it seems that a couple of times other profiles used on the computer have locked up the Audio needing a reboot but tbh if someone has been playing roblox or some other crap on your puter you prob need a reboot before trying to do anything anyways!

• Information