Midi Controller questions

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
z1rome

20 Jun 2016

Have the newer nanoKONTROL from Korg. It's doesn't have a default codec set in Reason yet, though I'm sure it will come in a few updates. Need to do a custom setup of it in the meantime. So my issue/question is:

It has 8 faders and 5 scenes. Let's say the faders are CC# 1-8. So if I'm in Scene 1 on my controller it's going to Midi Channel 1 CC# 1-8. If I switch to scene 2 they are supposed to go to Midi Channel 2 CC# 1-8.

My issue is after I map my first 8 faders in Reason, I want to switch to scene 2 and map the next 8 faders to the same CC#'s but on Midi Channel 2. It doesn't seem to recognize different midi channels, it just wants to overwrite my fader mappings for the first 8 faders. I know I could just give the controller new CC's for the next 8 faders but then that limits my use of this thing since theres a lot of other buttons with CC's already assinged. Can Reason accept incoming midi from different Channels and not just treat them all as Omni? I know it can output midi to different channels.

Raveshaper

20 Jun 2016

z1rome wrote:Can Reason accept incoming midi from different Channels and not just treat them all as Omni? I know it can output midi to different channels.
Yes. Your issue is stemming from the ? in the midi masks of whatever generic codec you're using. MIDI CC 1 on Channnel 1 has a default mask of "b? 01 xx". The question mark is a wildcard character that ignores that part of whatever data is coming in. If you wanted to only pass Channel 1 data for CC 1, you would have to modify the mask to read "b0 01 xx". Just to clarify, the 0 in "b0" is the channel number minus one. The "b" indicates it is a CC and not a note. Notes would use "90" in this example.

You can do a lot of MIDI filtering in Reason. I'm working on doing that right now.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

z1rome

20 Jun 2016

Thanks, I somewhat understand what you're saying. Would I need the SDK (Remote) to edit something like that? I tried to sign up as a developer so I could get access to remote awhile back, but I don't think I ever heard back from them.

swamptooth

20 Jun 2016

do you mean this one>?? http://www.korg.com/us/products/compute ... ol_studio/

have you tried using it as a mackie control?

z1rome

20 Jun 2016

Not yet, I'll give that a shot while I'm at it. Yeah that's the one.

z1rome

21 Jun 2016

:reason: Thanks for recommending trying the Mackie Control. After a little bit of messing around I find that if I set the controller type to SONAR inside it's editor and set my codec in Reason 8 to Mackie Control I have a pretty good setup. Access to the faders/pans the way I wanted plus with a toggle I can change my HP/LP filters for each channel with the pan knob as well. Transport is all there, jogwheel works. Only 3 buttons unused. Thanks again.

• Information