I feel lost

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Last Alternative

23 Jun 2016

Does anyone else feel lost and confused with all this new stuff? Like how to make the players sound good? Or Figuring out if everything is new in the Reason 9 soundbank as opposed to what we already had? What's the difference between the Factory soundbank and Reason 9 one? Why are there different banks now? How to find a pre-made good sounding dual arp patch? That's only the beginning. I literally don't know what I'm doing anymore. lol
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

guitfnky

23 Jun 2016

I think it tells you right in the manual how to find the new sounds. same goes for using the new Players. ;)
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

zeebot

23 Jun 2016

Grabbed 9 yesterday and had a little play with it to get a feel. Jumping from 7.1 it seems pretty different and I'm not too keen on some of the 'workflow improvements' that were implemented in R8 but I'm not going to get it in the first few days.
Haven't even delved into players or the new soundbank or even the audio manipulation but I realise there is no rush. Take your time to get use to it, R10 is a few years away yet :D
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

Last Alternative

23 Jun 2016

I think I'm just overwhelmed by all the changes and new stuff since I just now finally got R9 to work since buying it last night and all the troubles. There are some beautiful sounds in here. Especially what the players can do and also the FSB extention REfill: http://www.Softphonics.com

Softphonics did a great job on this. The pads alone make my heart melt. I'm inspired! But I must sleep now, work all night and play with R9 all weekend!

I just realized most of the patches got split up back to their respectable instrument device folders. No wonder why I didn't see my favorites in the main list.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

tibah

23 Jun 2016

Last Alternative wrote:Does anyone else feel lost and confused with all this new stuff? Like how to make the players sound good? Or Figuring out if everything is new in the Reason 9 soundbank as opposed to what we already had? What's the difference between the Factory soundbank and Reason 9 one? Why are there different banks now? How to find a pre-made good sounding dual arp patch? That's only the beginning. I literally don't know what I'm doing anymore. lol
Just some general ideas to help you with some things you mentioned.

Players do have presets so you can start by browsing them. There are also easy to alter once you understand the concepts behind each, like with every other tool basically. You should be able to find a "good sounding dual arp" patch.

For your 2nd question, about how to find new sounds, this is the reason we do have 2 separated soundbanks now. You can easily spot the new sounds by looking for patches with " - XX", which represents the initials of the sound designers involved.

Reason 9 sounds includes a sort of "best of" the older patches from the FSB, and they still have their own names, without the initials at the end. This is also the reason why there is no more "ALL instrument patches" in the original sound bank now. You can go into the Reason 9 sounds to get "the best" or you can browse for individual sounds now.

The beta helped of course to have a little more knowledge about these things. I take it, you upgraded from R7, right? Well, there is a lot but it's still Reason. Minor things like bounce in place or MIDI reverse could be easily overlooked, but eventually they will pop up and give you that "hey I could use that now". Same goes for the players really. Maybe thrown them into an old project, or simply start with a simple instrument patch and start stacking all 3 players on top of that, to see what each does. :)

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

23 Jun 2016

I'll be making some tutorials on these players. I was a little lost when I first got to work with them too but once you get your head around them they're really easy and fun to work with. But a whole new class of device is an adjustment for us Reason users. The same was true with the Combinator and people figuring out just how powerful it could be.

Exowildebeest

23 Jun 2016

They screwed up the soundbank by putting a lot of old patches in the Reason 9 soundbank. During the beta, it was just the new sounds, all Combinators in there. Now it looks like a mess!

CR68

23 Jun 2016

Ryan can u submit a feature request to the ph's?

We need tagged patches! Eg whe i search dual arp and the patch is tagged dual arp it shoild find it. Now the search onkx wprks when the patch name includes tgat.

I think it wpukd be very handy and useful.

Thx and cheers
Cr68

tibah

23 Jun 2016

Exowildebeest wrote:They screwed up the soundbank by putting a lot of old patches in the Reason 9 soundbank. During the beta, it was just the new sounds, all Combinators in there. Now it looks like a mess!
Not more messy than browsing the old "ALL instruments" folder if you ask me. ;)

Exowildebeest

23 Jun 2016

tibah wrote:
Exowildebeest wrote:They screwed up the soundbank by putting a lot of old patches in the Reason 9 soundbank. During the beta, it was just the new sounds, all Combinators in there. Now it looks like a mess!
Not more messy than browsing the old "ALL instruments" folder if you ask me. ;)
More messy if you expect the Reason 9 soundbank to be the Reason 9 sounds...

tibah

23 Jun 2016

I think they simply wanted to have this sort of "push" in "this is how Reason sounds" as one major goal for this version. So, as long time user you may dislike the messy feel, while a new user doesn't know the "legacy" content. A new user might be confused that inside the "Combinator Patches" there aren't the new Combinators, while a patch like "80s soft pad" is in both now.

During the beta, at one point is also was legacy, now it's factory again. Then we still have the "Showcase" favorites.

I agree that this is indeed confusing to both ends of the user base. Maybe Reason 9 sounds should be just new patches or it should be renamed to "showcase" or "best of" instead.

Sinistereo

23 Jun 2016

I trialed R8 when it came out and was very grumpy about how the new workflow completely broke my multi-monitor setup (the browser was far away from where I needed it). I stayed with R7, experimented with Bitwig and Live, and sat on the sidelines while Props fixed everything that was "wrong" with R8 from my perspective.

I held out for R9, but upgraded immediately after the official announcement, so I had about a month to adjust to R8.

There is definitely a bit of a learning curve going from R7 to R8/9, but this curmudgeon is 100% happy with the new version. I really have to applaud how responsive Propellerhead has been to their user base, and how polished R9 feels. I'm definitely a rackhead - Reason just works the way my brain needs it to.

Give R9 some time. Once you get used to how the browser works, I think you'll find that Reason is a substantially improved product.

zeebot

23 Jun 2016

Yes, I was a bit confused by this. When browsing I thought some of the patches looked familiar. Not sure if it's a genuine mistake or they have been 'revamped' somehow?
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

• Information