R9 is amazeballs but has no decent bass sounds!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
flangey

02 Jul 2016

Reason 9 is fantastic in so many ways, such an inspiring and productivity-inducing DAW but still after all these years it doesn't include any decent synth bass sounds! Or a decent synth for making them. We should petition for something like Viking or PX7 being included free with v9.

Trying out the various bass patches in the FSB they are so lame and lacking in depth! For me it's the Reason's biggest weakness. Some of them are just disgraceful and it's a lot to do with the default synths - they're just not capable of generating properly deep bass.

Loque

02 Jul 2016

I have enogh synths in Reason including RE and i still get new sounds out of all of them. Same for effekts. I dont need more.

But something incredible new is always welcome. Still missing a great dynamic EQ (a Carve 2.0) or a real 3D reverb or 3D sound positioner or phase correlation meter or phase fixer.
Reason12, Win10

pushedbutton

02 Jul 2016

Did you set the SSL up at all?
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

GRIFTY

02 Jul 2016

Synths for bass: Thor, chip64, FM4, Zero. These are my favorites at least

riemac

02 Jul 2016

You would not think so at first, but Parsec is very good for basses. One reason for that is, that the resonance in the filter doesn't reduce the bass as with the filter in Thor.

buddard
RE Developer

02 Jul 2016

You can create some great bass sounds on Thor, but you might have to work with them a bit, it depends on what kind of bass sounds you're after. Sometimes I add a sub oscillator, other times I layer several Thors (or other synths).

satyr32

02 Jul 2016

How it is a weakness of Reason if you just can buy a RE that does what you need?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

Djstarski

03 Jul 2016

flangey wrote:Reason 9 is fantastic in so many ways, such an inspiring and productivity-inducing DAW but still after all these years it doesn't include any decent synth bass sounds! Or a decent synth for making them. We should petition for something like Viking or PX7 being included free with v9.

Trying out the various bass patches in the FSB they are so lame and lacking in depth! For me it's the Reason's biggest weakness. Some of them are just disgraceful and it's a lot to do with the default synths - they're just not capable of generating properly deep bass.

Can you give us an example of a decent bass sound in your opinion ? maybe a link to a track you like on youtube with the sort of bass sounds your looking for .

avasopht
Competition Winner

03 Jul 2016

I think Djstarski is right, ..

One top tip: distortion. Bass is not that complicated. You just need to shape it to your liking.

Data_Shrine

03 Jul 2016

I think usually, software-based bass comes alive at the mixing stage. It helps to layer bass; for exemple, a very low freq bass with something that's more in the 200-300hz range. Then when your song gets mastered, it should pick up even more power. But I guess that depends what you're after and the style of music you make.

decibel

03 Jul 2016

are you talking about sub or mid range bass ? i think when you figure out how to combine the two properly your opinion will change accordingly ;) search making bass in reason on youtube , follow a few of the examples and it wont be long until you start to get the gist of it ;)

tibah

03 Jul 2016

What is a decent bass sound? Futuristic lazer wobbles? Nicely crafted electric bass sound? Droney sub with some overtones and note glide? Funky octave bass? Offbeat sub-woofer mover? Triplet style?

Simply looking for bass patches is one thing to reconsider. You can play almost every patch in a lower register and make it a bass. Over the years, to me it's more important what the bass actual does combined with the drums and the rest of the song, than the actual sound itself, and I somehow doubt a sine sounds that much different in other programs.

nooomy

03 Jul 2016

I like the first patch in subtractive !
really good and fat!

Or is it a specific massive or sylenth bass u are looking for?

Chizmata

04 Jul 2016

there is that thing called sounddesign... i heard it can be done on any reason synth

Kov

04 Jul 2016

Chizmata wrote:there is that thing called sounddesign... i heard it can be done on any reason synth
This

Soft Enerji

04 Jul 2016

Kov wrote:
Chizmata wrote:there is that thing called sounddesign... i heard it can be done on any reason synth
This
Yup, but I think the words should be separated.........but I'm a pedantic fecker at times :puf_bigsmile:

VHS

04 Jul 2016

There are sooooo many good basses in the new soundbank in almost every category. I have found cool basses in fx and textures of all places. Also, as other have said, making sounds yourself is the best way to get the sound you want.

Jivethompson

05 Jul 2016

There is a free rack extension that 'beefs up' any bass : https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... tion-knob/

Quite usefull when handled with care.

jfrichards

05 Jul 2016

flangey wrote:...after all these years it doesn't include any decent synth bass sounds!...
Such a terrible shame.

and

First is Parsec, second is Thor.

stratatonic

05 Jul 2016

I'm astounded that someone actually conjured up the word "amazeballs", and that people actually used the word, and that it is still used by some in the second half of 2016... :(

jonheal

05 Jul 2016

I don't like talking about balls.

But to address the issue, get a subwoofer like the one I just bought and then crank it. Then you got yer basses!
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

• Information