This will be the death of me. . .

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
qoreybeats

05 Jul 2016

Is there anyway to speed up the calculating analyzer? It really slows down my workflow and it takes years to complete. I attached a image to show what I'm talking about.
Attachments
calc.png
calc.png (11.37 KiB) Viewed 2047 times

esselfortium

05 Jul 2016

Putting your samples and project files on a solid state hard drive should make it load quite a bit faster, if you haven't already.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Vyckeil

05 Jul 2016

esselfortium wrote:Putting your samples and project files on a solid state hard drive should make it load quite a bit faster, if you haven't already.
He's not talking about load time, he's talking about recalculating sample rates. And yes, it takes an eternity and a half for long files. I tried doing this with 2 hour long mp3 files and it took at least 20 minutes each. I wish I had the option to disable this.

joeyluck

05 Jul 2016

Not sure what you would disable aside from not making changes to large files/clips.
If it's taking longer than anticipated, I click 'undo' and that resolves things pretty quickly.

nscerri

08 Jul 2016

Try matching the sample rate of the sound card settings with that of the wave files you are using. It should resolve your issue.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Captain Boyfriend

08 Jul 2016

Vyckeil wrote:
esselfortium wrote:Putting your samples and project files on a solid state hard drive should make it load quite a bit faster, if you haven't already.
He's not talking about load time, he's talking about recalculating sample rates. And yes, it takes an eternity and a half for long files. I tried doing this with 2 hour long mp3 files and it took at least 20 minutes each. I wish I had the option to disable this.
Are you using the entirety of the 2 hour file in your session? Why not either trim the part you're using from the sample, or its masked audio clips to clean up the orphan audio?

Vyckeil

09 Jul 2016

Captain Boyfriend wrote:
Vyckeil wrote:
Are you using the entirety of the 2 hour file in your session? Why not either trim the part you're using from the sample, or its masked audio clips to clean up the orphan audio?
Yes, I had to use every single minute. It was mostly for correcting flaws in super shitty court recordings I was going to transcribe. I have 2 full 8 hour days to correct, and the whole thing was in mp3. I wanted to just move to ProTools, but I remembered that I had only ProTools 10 and it does real-time rendering.

I'm heavily invested in Reason and want to use the REs for these kinds of jobs but it pains me that I can't disable the auto-recalculating. I can understand why people say that Reason is a toy.

Dave909

09 Jul 2016

"Reason is a toy". So you come to this conclusion coss it takes a bit of time to process a long-ass audiofile? Interesting...

Captain Boyfriend

09 Jul 2016

Vyckeil wrote:
Captain Boyfriend wrote:
Vyckeil wrote:
Yes, I had to use every single minute. It was mostly for correcting flaws in super shitty court recordings I was going to transcribe. I have 2 full 8 hour days to correct, and the whole thing was in mp3. I wanted to just move to ProTools, but I remembered that I had only ProTools 10 and it does real-time rendering.

I'm heavily invested in Reason and want to use the REs for these kinds of jobs but it pains me that I can't disable the auto-recalculating. I can understand why people say that Reason is a toy.
Ah I see. That sucks, I also found Reason to be not ideal for very long projects while mastering an LP. Have you tried Reaper? Once you import an audio file, it saves peak info as a separate file so that it doesn't have to recalculate. You'll have to wait for the peak to build when you first import it, but it's fairly quick in my experience. It also renders fast.

If Reason is a toy, call me Gepetto. :thumbs_up:

Vyckeil

09 Jul 2016

Dave909 wrote:"Reason is a toy". So you come to this conclusion coss it takes a bit of time to process a long-ass audiofile? Interesting...
First, I didn't come to that conclusion. I said I understood why people say Reason is a toy.

Second, it's a feature that could be easily disabled but can't and causes an incredible time loss. I was trying to do actual work and Reason was being extremely slow at it. And no matter the length, it merely takes a few seconds to load and process even in Audacity, never mind the faster DAWs.

Propellerhead can certainly develop Reason as they see fit. I will probably still use and love it for making music. But Props is certainly not aiming for pro audio work, and when I try it fails miserably. Ergo, why I think people say Reason is a toy, and I totally understand them for saying it.
Captain Boyfriend wrote:
Vyckeil wrote:
Captain Boyfriend wrote:
Vyckeil wrote:

Ah I see. That sucks, I also found Reason to be not ideal for very long projects while mastering an LP. Have you tried Reaper? Once you import an audio file, it saves peak info as a separate file so that it doesn't have to recalculate. You'll have to wait for the peak to build when you first import it, but it's fairly quick in my experience. It also renders fast.

I bought StudioOne 3. It's an amazing replacement to ProTools which I loathe. I don't have my favorite to work on though (Reason, because I'm so familiar with it) but it does its job really well.

Captain Boyfriend

09 Jul 2016

I hated Pro Tools too. Maybe someday there will be an all-in-one program for my needs, but relieving myself of that expectation has allowed me to better appreciate the tools available to me. I feel as if I don't need a favorite, I just need to understand what a program can offer me relative to what I need done. Ideally we could just learn one program to handle all our needs. But editing court procedure recordings isn't the same thing as, say, mixing a pan-genre pop record. You're in a tough place because you're very familiar with Reason and Reason is not an application ideal for your goal. In my own work I've discovered that, unfortunately, fluency in more than one DAW is necessary if you have a diverse workload.

Dave909

09 Jul 2016

Vyckeil wrote:
Dave909 wrote:"Reason is a toy". So you come to this conclusion coss it takes a bit of time to process a long-ass audiofile? Interesting...
First, I didn't come to that conclusion. I said I understood why people say Reason is a toy.

Second, it's a feature that could be easily disabled but can't and causes an incredible time loss. I was trying to do actual work and Reason was being extremely slow at it. And no matter the length, it merely takes a few seconds to load and process even in Audacity, never mind the faster DAWs.

Propellerhead can certainly develop Reason as they see fit. I will probably still use and love it for making music. But Props is certainly not aiming for pro audio work, and when I try it fails miserably. Ergo, why I think people say Reason is a toy, and I totally understand them for saying it.
Captain Boyfriend wrote:
Vyckeil wrote:
Captain Boyfriend wrote:
Vyckeil wrote:

I bought StudioOne 3. It's an amazing replacement to ProTools which I loathe. I don't have my favorite to work on though (Reason, because I'm so familiar with it) but it does its job really well.
Well. Reason is a piece of music production software. Not a polish-up-my-long-ass-files kind of affair. You should buy wavelab or soundforge then

Vyckeil

09 Jul 2016

Dave909 wrote: Well. Reason is a piece of music production software. Not a polish-up-my-long-ass-files kind of affair. You should buy wavelab or soundforge then
Sure, I'll spend hundreds of dollars worth of software for that one-time problem I had. And I just said I bought StudioOne 3 which can do these jobs, plus much more.

footwords

14 Jul 2016

Vyckeil wrote: Second, it's a feature that could be easily disabled but can't and causes an incredible time loss. I was trying to do actual work and Reason was being extremely slow at it. And no matter the length, it merely takes a few seconds to load and process even in Audacity, never mind the faster DAWs.
Props can't exactly disable the feature. What you hear while calculation is running is a low quality preview and props don't want to degrade your quality.

Maybe you can drop the mp3 into another daw or sound editor to turn it into a wav file first. Make sure to set it to the sample rate that your interface is set to in Reason.

Otherwise, once the calculation has happened and you save the file, it won't have to recalculate all the time. Or, the calculation should be quicker since it can calculate from the new sample rate.

Also, try to stay away from slice edit mode and pitch edit mode on that recording. Right click and disable time stretch to make sure you don't accidentally mess with slices. Any slice editing would cause the calculation to start from the beginning.

If you need to slice or pitch edit, split the file into multiple smaller parts first so that the calculation can happen on smaller parts.

plaamook

14 Jul 2016

Vyckeil wrote:He's not talking about load time, he's talking about recalculating sample rates. And yes, it takes an eternity and a half for long files. I tried doing this with 2 hour long mp3 files and it took at least 20 minutes each. I wish I had the option to disable this.
That sounds like something else is the problem. I just dropped a 2.5 hr MP3 on the time line and it all took less than a minute. I'm running a 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM, 2TB HDD and loads of other apps at the same time.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

plaamook

14 Jul 2016

Dave909 wrote:
Well. Reason is a piece of music production software. Not a polish-up-my-long-ass-files kind of affair. You should buy wavelab or soundforge then
I think the argument that we should all just go use different software is a bit lame. Reason edits audio. One could argue that it was indeed designed to do this, what with all the cut/copy/paste functions and so on. You pay a load of money and you can record audio and you can edit the audio. There is even a chapter totally devoted to editing audio in the Reason manual. I know there are a lot of other things that can be done in Reason, but we've had actual audio editing since 2011, earlier if you had Record, and you're still almost better off with audacity for straight up editing. That's pretty sad. Reason users may be the only people out there who should buy wavelab or soundforge because their DAW can't zoom out so they can look at an entire album, even though Reason aparently has all the tools you need to record, make, and master that album.

EDIT: I stand corrected. If you change your song to 5 BPM you can indeed see a 2.5hr long file all at once. Buy you can't then zoom IN and edit for any precision editing.

Or here.

selig
RE Developer

14 Jul 2016

plaamook wrote:
Dave909 wrote:
I think the argument that we should all just go use different software is a bit lame. Reason edits audio. One could argue that it was indeed designed to do this, what with all the cut/copy/paste functions and so on. You pay a load of money and you can record audio and you can edit the audio. There is even a chapter totally devoted to editing audio in the Reason manual. I know there are a lot of other things that can be done in Reason, but we've had actual audio editing since 2011, earlier if you had Record, and you're still almost better off with audacity for straight up editing. That's pretty sad. Reason users may be the only people out there who should buy wavelab or soundforge because their DAW can't zoom out so they can look at an entire album, even though Reason aparently has all the tools you need to record, make, and master that album.

Reason can zoom out to an incredibly long range of TIME, just not of BARS. If you want to view a two hour long album (assuming you would want to release a two hour long album), simply set tempo to 30 BPM.

OTOH, Wavelab and sound forge don't support MIDI tracks making them less than ideal for working on music like Reason can easily do. And there's no workaround for that limitation in those apps…

I'd file the difference between Reason and Wavelab etc. under "Horses for Courses"… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

plaamook

14 Jul 2016

selig wrote:
plaamook wrote:
Dave909 wrote:

Reason can zoom out to an incredibly long range of TIME, just not of BARS. If you want to view a two hour long album (assuming you would want to release a two hour long album), simply set tempo to 30 BPM.
Yeah, but then you can't zoom IN to do any precision editing. (See my edit above) This one is a personal bug bear as I work with long audio a lot, often on existing tracks where changing the tempo creates different problems. Plus all the stuff I've recorded or edited at 120 BPM over the years... tempo change isn't ideal.

Anyway it was just one of many gripes. As we all know editing isn't Reason's strong point.

Or here.

selig
RE Developer

14 Jul 2016

plaamook wrote:
selig wrote:
plaamook wrote:
Dave909 wrote:

Yeah, but then you can't zoom IN to do any precision editing. (See my edit above) This one is a personal bug bear as I work with long audio a lot, often on existing tracks where changing the tempo creates different problems. Plus all the stuff I've recorded or edited at 120 BPM over the years... tempo change isn't ideal.

Anyway it was just one of many gripes. As we all know editing isn't Reason's strong point.
That's not the kind of tempo change I'm talking about - I'm talking about importing an album's worth of mixes into Reason for sequencing… As for zooming in, I only need to do that when drawing out digital errors and such. "Precise" edits don't need zooming in as much as they need a good ear IMO - maybe I'm just burned out on thinking you need to zoom in for those sorts of edits when in most cases you're either editing to a grid (quantized tracks) or doing in by feel (tracks with no click/tempo ref) - either way you don't need to zoom to do most of those sorts of edits in my experience. But I've been editing on screens non-stop for decades now, so maybe it's become second nature? ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

plaamook

14 Jul 2016

selig wrote:
plaamook wrote:
selig wrote:
plaamook wrote:
Dave909 wrote:

That's not the kind of tempo change I'm talking about - I'm talking about importing an album's worth of mixes into Reason for sequencing… As for zooming in, I only need to do that when drawing out digital errors and such. "Precise" edits don't need zooming in as much as they need a good ear IMO - maybe I'm just burned out on thinking you need to zoom in for those sorts of edits when in most cases you're either editing to a grid (quantized tracks) or doing in by feel (tracks with no click/tempo ref) - either way you don't need to zoom to do most of those sorts of edits in my experience. But I've been editing on screens non-stop for decades now, so maybe it's become second nature? ;)
As for album matering/sequencing, yes, I can see that workaround works-around.
For myself it's less about an album and more to do with long compositions and pulling things out of long field recordings on the fly. I should have started everything in 30 BPM years ago but I didn't think of it. Changing existing projects once you've got midi and patterns running, stretched audio...stuff goes all over the place. Plus I've recorded and edited years of field rec's at the default 120 so when you import them, auto stretch, bla bla. It can get annoying.

As for precision, as I said I work with field rec's a lot and there's often little things that need to be gotten rid of. If it's bad I'll chuck it into RX but I'm often trying to get one little thing out. At 30 BPM it should still be fine but I'm not sure if I can face making the clean 30 BPM break yet. Too much in 120 already. That said, the tempo change... I can't really use it on tracks but I can def use it on mixes n stuff. Win!

Or here.

jengstrom
Reason Studios

15 Jul 2016

If the audio tempo and pitch are OK, which I assume is the case with court recordings and such, then disable stretch on the clip.

There's no big point waiting for the calc meter (preview sounds good) unless you are time stretching, since it only affects resampling if the audio file has a different sample rate than the current Reason preferences.

If you are editing and must time stretch long recordings, and must hear the high quality offline version after each edit, then you will need a fast computer and/or wait for the calc meter.

• Information