Possible "coloration" of SSL mixer vs. 14:2 mixer?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
8cros

14 Aug 2016

The third drawing.

Fig 3.
The mixer adds a new post CV signal. (Level 0, the master does not affect the output) :exclamation:

Continued ...
Attachments
Untitled-8.jpg
Untitled-8.jpg (190.96 KiB) Viewed 2570 times
Last edited by 8cros on 14 Aug 2016, edited 2 times in total.
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

selig
RE Developer

14 Aug 2016

8cros wrote:The third drawing.

fig 3. The mixer adds a new post CB signal. (Level 0, the master does not affect the output)[/b] :exclamation:

Continued ...

Don't think I could replicate this either, but honestly I'm not sure I understand what this is supposed to be doing. What is a "new post CB signal"? The master DOES affect the output in every test I've done. Lost here…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

8cros

14 Aug 2016

The fourth drawing.

Fig 4.
Re mixer does not notice the bug.
Attachments
Untitled-7.jpg
Untitled-7.jpg (208.83 KiB) Viewed 2569 times
Last edited by 8cros on 14 Aug 2016, edited 1 time in total.
REASON RESONANCES

selig
RE Developer

14 Aug 2016

8cros wrote:The fourth drawing.

Fig 4. Re mixer does not notice the bug.
What bug? What's the setup for all of these tests?

Selig Audio, LLC

8cros

14 Aug 2016

selig wrote:

You have showered me with questions.
Please, take your time and be careful. I did not have time to read all of your questions. :|
REASON RESONANCES

chimp_spanner

14 Aug 2016

More details is needed 8cros. How is the Matrix connected to the Subtractor? Which parameter? Or just Gate and CV? What's in the Combi and why is it there?

chimp_spanner

14 Aug 2016

I have Skope on demo so I'm trying to replicate the setup.

selig
RE Developer

14 Aug 2016

8cros wrote:
selig wrote:

You have showered me with questions.
Please, take your time and be careful. I did not have time to read all of your questions. :|
I really didn't have but one question - most of what I mentioned was that I'm not getting the same results as you are getting. ;(

Selig Audio, LLC

chimp_spanner

14 Aug 2016

Selig, the "problem" is that if you set the Subtractor's volume to zero, feed it a gate signal...and then insert like 10 compressors (or 3 Screams on maximum) afterwards, you still hear some noise.

Luckily, I don't think anyone is going to do this in a track. Ever ;)

No, it shouldn't happen. But with a program as complicated as Reason, if you start looking for ways to break it, you're gonna find them. I'm not being a Reason fanboy or apologist but ya know, this is barely a bug. In my very humble opinion. But by all means, you can fill out an error report using the contact form and maybe they'll patch it in the future...

selig
RE Developer

14 Aug 2016

chimp_spanner wrote:Selig, the "problem" is that if you set the Subtractor's volume to zero, feed it a gate signal...and then insert like 10 compressors (or 3 Screams on maximum) afterwards, you still hear some noise.

Luckily, I don't think anyone is going to do this in a track. Ever ;)

No, it shouldn't happen. But with a program as complicated as Reason, if you start looking for ways to break it, you're gonna find them. I'm not being a Reason fanboy or apologist but ya know, this is barely a bug. In my very humble opinion. But by all means, you can fill out an error report using the contact form and maybe they'll patch it in the future...
Got it now - simple explanations are useful IMO. Thanks!
:)

Selig Audio, LLC

chimp_spanner

14 Aug 2016

I think...I'm gonna go make some music now. I feel like I've stared into the abyss, and the abyss has stared back :lol:

8cros

14 Aug 2016

chimp_spanner wrote:More details is needed 8cros. How is the Matrix connected to the Subtractor? Which parameter? Or just Gate and CV? What's in the Combi and why is it there?

Combi's just my amplifier. I only use the input and output of the compressor Level. And Ratio 1: 1.
All connections are automatic.
All patches standard init. (Device reset)
Attachments
Untitled-4.jpg
Untitled-4.jpg (337.79 KiB) Viewed 2554 times
REASON RESONANCES

joeyluck

14 Aug 2016

I think if you put a few more compressors on there, you'll find the easter egg with a very faint hidden audio message...

8cros

14 Aug 2016

selig wrote: I replicated this setup and did not see any issues whatsoever. Maybe you could give a few more details?

Oh sure. What exactly do you not get?
You can show your version?
REASON RESONANCES

selig
RE Developer

14 Aug 2016

8cros wrote:
selig wrote: I replicated this setup and did not see any issues whatsoever. Maybe you could give a few more details?

Oh sure. What exactly do you not get?
You can show your version?
Turns out I didn't get the part hidden in the Combi, where you increase the gain a gazillion times (not sure why). In photography it's called "pixel peeping", where you zoom in to the pixel level and over-analyze things that probably aren't important in the final image.

It's like turning the volume all the way up on a microphone preamp and then complaining you can hear distortion. Or better yet, like running 10 microphone preamps in a row and noticing the signal isn't "clean" any more.

There's an audio term called Nominal Level https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominal_level which referees to the gain range where a device is designed to work best. For analog gear such as microphone preamps, running too low will add unnecessary noise, and running too hot will saturate slightly (not always in a good way). Same for analog tape. In digital audio, the nominal levels are much more forgiving (assuming floating point here), covering a much wider range. But they still exist. And when you run things outside of their nominal levels, either with analog or digital, of course you will eventually get "artifacts" of some sort, which may vary from device to device or from system to system.

Bottom Line:
You found artifacts that you can ONLY observe when "abusing" the system and running levels far beyond nominal. It is for this reason it's a total "non-issue" IMO.
I'm not dismissing what you've found or even disputing what you've found (now that I understand it), just saying "of course things get squirrelly when you push them far enough past their limits".
:)

Selig Audio, LLC

Stranger.

15 Aug 2016

chimp_spanner wrote:I feel like I've stared into the abyss, and the abyss has stared back :lol:
HEHEH just what did you see there?? :puf_bigsmile:

8cros- have you checked the rv7000 yet,or can you not do that check?
If not,try the octorex device-see it that triggers this 'gate'. Please&ty.

8cros

15 Aug 2016

Stranger. wrote:
chimp_spanner wrote:I feel like I've stared into the abyss, and the abyss has stared back :lol:
HEHEH just what did you see there?? :puf_bigsmile:

8cros- have you checked the rv7000 yet,or can you not do that check?
If not,try the octorex device-see it that triggers this 'gate'. Please&ty.
I can not for a long time listening to digital distortion and sawtooth waves without reverb. :oops:
REASON RESONANCES

Stranger.

15 Aug 2016

8cros wrote:I can not for a long time listening to digital distortion and sawtooth waves without reverb. :oops:
A simple y/n is good with me m8. The newer rv7000-- is it happening there??

8cros

15 Aug 2016

Stranger. wrote:
8cros wrote:I can not for a long time listening to digital distortion and sawtooth waves without reverb. :oops:
A simple y/n is good with me m8. The newer rv7000-- is it happening there??
I find it difficult to translate what you say.
RV 7000 only need to protect your hearing. :redface:
A null test will not show you the features of the mixer.
This too secret channel for transmitting information. I always saw strange coincidences. So I knew what to look further..:puf_bigsmile:
REASON RESONANCES

househoppin09

15 Aug 2016

I must say, I never anticipated that I would be sending you folks down such a deep rabbit hole with my post! I was pretty well convinced that there was no coloration by the end of Page 1, but thanks in any case to everyone for digging so deep on this. A lot of interesting information has come to light, however little practical application there may be for it. I especially want to thank orthodox for the incisive answers that cut right to the heart of things, and selig for his endless generosity and patience which I find truly inspiring. Hopefully this has now run its course, as it's hard to imagine where things can really go from here. I think all the bases have been covered and covered again, at this point.

sdst
Competition Winner

15 Aug 2016

I don't know about coloring, but i'm skipping the big mixer and using only the rack mixer

because the workflow. :) there is something i don't like in the ssl mixer, need hide channels.

Stranger.

16 Aug 2016

househoppin09 wrote:I especially want to thank orthodox for the incisive answers that cut right to the heart of things, and selig for his endless generosity and patience which I find truly inspiring.
Loool-- really? i mean reallly?? =wow. I cannot express how wrong they are.
Again- i invite you-househoppin09 to give a response to this image please-
Question= "Do you see any differences in these 2 windows?"
RSN 4096 rect win.JPG
RSN 4096 rect win.JPG (235.37 KiB) Viewed 2442 times
I can only assure that there are noticable variations,and these types of variations are what is cutting the heart out of reason -imo.
Case closed.

jonheal

16 Aug 2016

Yes, I think I see some differences. I also don't a rat's patoottie — eviscerated Reason heart, or not. There are more pressing concerns in life, I think.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Exowildebeest

16 Aug 2016

Stranger. wrote:
househoppin09 wrote:I especially want to thank orthodox for the incisive answers that cut right to the heart of things, and selig for his endless generosity and patience which I find truly inspiring.
RSN 4096 rect win.JPG
I can only assure that there are noticable variations,and these types of variations are what is cutting the heart out of reason -imo.
Case closed.
I'm seeing pretty nice modern art :P

What exactly should that image tell us about Reason? What measurement does it represent? What value "varies"?

kloeckno

16 Aug 2016

Stranger. wrote:

Case closed.
Oh wow, really mind blowing there... (sarcasm)

• Information