Possible "coloration" of SSL mixer vs. 14:2 mixer?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
kloeckno

16 Aug 2016

So I guess Reason is totally useless, because the old mixer (that most people don't use as much now that we have the newer one) lets a very low level signal through that can only be heard by running it through 200 dB of gain!!! Ridiculous...

Stranger.

16 Aug 2016

kloeckno wrote:So I guess Reason is totally useless, because the old mixer (that most people don't use as much now that we have the newer one) lets a very low level signal through that can only be heard by running it through 200 dB of gain!!! Ridiculous...
Hm...again,you,also need correction here i feel.
Look- i'm not trying to prove anything here--quite the opposite,i do not want to see differances tbph.
I like reason,i enjoy it very much,and while doing so i feel i may have gained a small amount of knowledge' trying to understand what tools i am using and why they do what they do.
Passion is a driving force for me musically and i guess(technically) -- we are all here for similar passionate 'reasons' i believe.

Seemingly,we have 2 or more rack extension 'developers' who repeatedly deny these discrepancies,actually giving information which is held to be of high calibre and faultless observations-which i find to be different in my own findings to date.
I am clearly not associated to ph,unlike a lot of characters on this forum-- i am under no false pretenses or nda's-- so i am blunt-but honest (as i judge to be.)

The 1st post i made here sort of said it all for me, "there are differences,but,barely perceptable" - now- these types of differences is why people pay thousands of pounds/dollars for a piece of kit/plug in w/e.
I think it's worth a good look at this,because again,people are literally plummeting £$ 0,000's into this music making programme.
I also believe it actually matters,to some of these people,who do care,a great deal.

1 final image attached-- 3 colours-same timeline- 3 outputs-- please let me know if you can see any db of frequency changes here-- all streamed realtime at normal listening levels-- the gain thing is only a method of actually zooming into the details sonically.
If any users can actually tell which colour goes to which rsn "output",they will have observed what i did also-colouration.
3xrsntapouts.JPG
3xrsntapouts.JPG (152.88 KiB) Viewed 2669 times
R.I.P.

selig
RE Developer

16 Aug 2016

Stranger. wrote:
kloeckno wrote:So I guess Reason is totally useless, because the old mixer (that most people don't use as much now that we have the newer one) lets a very low level signal through that can only be heard by running it through 200 dB of gain!!! Ridiculous...
Hm...again,you,also need correction here i feel.
Look- i'm not trying to prove anything here--quite the opposite,i do not want to see differances tbph.
I like reason,i enjoy it very much,and while doing so i feel i may have gained a small amount of knowledge' trying to understand what tools i am using and why they do what they do.
Passion is a driving force for me musically and i guess(technically) -- we are all here for similar passionate 'reasons' i believe.

Seemingly,we have 2 or more rack extension 'developers' who repeatedly deny these discrepancies,actually giving information which is held to be of high calibre and faultless observations-which i find to be different in my own findings to date.
I am clearly not associated to ph,unlike a lot of characters on this forum-- i am under no false pretenses or nda's-- so i am blunt-but honest (as i judge to be.)

The 1st post i made here sort of said it all for me, "there are differences,but,barely perceptable" - now- these types of differences is why people pay thousands of pounds/dollars for a piece of kit/plug in w/e.
I think it's worth a good look at this,because again,people are literally plummeting £$ 0,000's into this music making programme.
I also believe it actually matters,to some of these people,who do care,a great deal.

1 final image attached-- 3 colours-same timeline- 3 outputs-- please let me know if you can see any db of frequency changes here-- all streamed realtime at normal listening levels-- the gain thing is only a method of actually zooming into the details sonically.
If any users can actually tell which colour goes to which rsn "output",they will have observed what i did also-colouration.
3xrsntapouts.JPG
R.I.P.
For the record…
I'm not associated with PHs (other than being a 3rd party developer and beta tester), and I've acknowledged in this thread that there may in fact be discrepancies when signals are amplified by ungodly amounts - so I'm confident you're not talking about me here.
But just to be bluntly honest, as you are claiming to be, I would prefer you refer to folks by name (if at all) and not by innuendo…
Selig Audio, LLC

kloeckno

16 Aug 2016

If people want to post pictures supposedly showing problems in audio output, please be a little more scientific and describe what exactly the picture is showing. An FFT graph with no pretext is absolutely useless. What are we looking at, why is it significant, and what did you do to achieve the supposed coloration?

Science... not gut feelings. Music is an art, but sound and audio engineering is a science. When I hear people talk about differences in audio devices, for example, like analog vs. digital it's almost always so incredibly unscientific. You can't compare 2 sound sources without any form of measurement. Human being senses are so easily fooled. Would you judge distance by looking at something and estimating? I wouldn't put much faith in someone who looked at the sun to tell the time.

selig
RE Developer

16 Aug 2016

kloeckno wrote:If people want to post pictures supposedly showing problems in audio output, please be a little more scientific and describe what exactly the picture is showing. An FFT graph with no pretext is absolutely useless. What are we looking at, why is it significant, and what did you do to achieve the supposed coloration?

Science... not gut feelings. Music is an art, but sound and audio engineering is a science. When I hear people talk about differences in audio devices, for example, like analog vs. digital it's almost always so incredibly unscientific. You can't compare 2 sound sources without any form of measurement. Human being senses are so easily fooled. Would you judge distance by looking at something and estimating? I wouldn't put much faith in someone who looked at the sun to tell the time.

I'm with you on this, as posting a picture alone says nothing IMO.
That being said, I hope my postings have been clear both about what I'm measuring and the tools and techniques I'm using - if not, I'm happy to clarify!
Selig Audio, LLC

Stranger.

18 Aug 2016

househoppin09 wrote:I need some technical information on Reason's mixers
Bump for reply from househoppin09! on this image please.

or was it just= //Ignore/ bro?

Now look at this img from selig-- do the 2 lines match?? no-no they don't,they are off by% -{maybe this is irrelevant} selig can't see it -obviously- is not looking at it...! wat!

BURRRP.

selig
RE Developer

18 Aug 2016

Stranger. wrote:
househoppin09 wrote:I need some technical information on Reason's mixers
Bump for reply from househoppin09! on this image please.

or was it just= //Ignore/ bro?

Now look at this img from selig-- do the 2 lines match?? no-no they don't,they are off by% -{maybe this is irrelavent} selig can't see it -obviously- is not looking at it...! wat!

BURRRP.
That image only shows one signal path, so there are not "two lines" as you claim!!!!!
Don't know if you get what that's showing - allow me to clarify (and re-post): here's a gif showing four different signal paths from Reason, all laid on top of each other, one at a time. The graph clearly shows there is absolutely NO difference between them level wise and that they are all completely flat across the frequency spectrum. That's all I can say - this image shows there's clearly NO "color" (difference) when measured with this level of precision. That's all I've got, I'm starting to repeat myself since stuff is getting lost in the confusion in this thread…
Selig Audio, LLC

Stranger.

18 Aug 2016

selig wrote:Bump for reply from househoppin09! on this image please.
Lol - ok by your own guessing-- why does 1 image show a completly flat line-but the other does not? why is that dear lord selig?

selig
RE Developer

18 Aug 2016

Stranger. wrote:
selig wrote:Bump for reply from househoppin09! on this image please.
Lol - ok by your own guessing-- why does 1 image show a completly flat line-but the other does not? why is that dear lord selig?
Dude, lay off the childish name calling. Let's act like adults and show some respect!

Both images show completely flat lines. Don't know what you're talking about, please clarify…
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Stranger.

18 Aug 2016

selig wrote:please clarify…:)
Lol-- i can only clarify- you chat sh*t m8-- crak on-- hey i need some drums recorded-please help me out man!

Ban if ya like-- will just be second time ban for 0 reason- =pathetic.
I'm done trying to help phickphux who refuse to phink4themselves.
Laterz.

selig
RE Developer

18 Aug 2016

Stranger. wrote:
selig wrote:please clarify…:)
Lol-- i can only clarify- you chat sh*t m8-- crak on-- hey i need some drums recorded-please help me out man!

Ban if ya like-- will just be second time ban for 0 reason- =pathetic.
I'm done trying to help phickphux who refuse to phink4themselves.
Laterz.
Wow, that escalated fast. Don't know what got into you (and frankly can't understand half of what you just wrote), but I DO know there's no reason for that response.

I'm totally engaged in a conversation with you and trying to respond to your comments and questions, then you go and spew that crap.

Take a DEEP BREATH, and maybe take a break from the forum if you really can't simply act like an adult here.
Selig Audio, LLC

orthodox
RE Developer

18 Aug 2016

Stranger. wrote:why does 1 image show a completly flat line-but the other does not?
That depends on what those lines represent. You have not explained yet how you obtained those lines.
Can you please post them again in one post with proper explanations?

selig
RE Developer

18 Aug 2016

orthodox wrote:
Stranger. wrote:why does 1 image show a completly flat line-but the other does not?
That depends on what those lines represent. You have not explained yet how you obtained those lines.
Can you please post them again in one post with proper explanations?
I previously detailed the process and provided links (back in this post: http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... 50#p276617) - to reiterate, I'm using FuzzMeasure and it uses a very accurate "swept sine" method.

A quick google gave me this:
http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help ... _overview/

You can also read more on the FuzzMeasure site:
http://fuzzmeasure.com

Selig Audio, LLC

Kov

19 Aug 2016

kloeckno wrote:Science... not gut feelings
Thing is that it's very difficult if not impossible to explain scientific facts to people who are totally into gut feelings.

orthodox
RE Developer

19 Aug 2016

Raveshaper wrote:Regarding coloration, some producers run sounds through EQ at neutral settings *because* it colors the audio.
Some people here run sounds through a mixer and cast spells over it in the hope it would color the sound.

• Information