R9 Sound Banks...smh

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Rook

19 Aug 2016

Some of the new sounds are cool. I appreciate their efforts. But, omg...the organization (or lack thereof) is killing me.

Why do these banks need to be separated? If all the new sounds are identified by the creator's initials for easy search-ability, why couldn't they just be included in the "Factory" bank? And just go ahead and package in Orkester while you're at it, so all stock sounds are finally in one place. But, if they felt they needed to make "Reason 9 Sounds" separate, why are some "Factory" patches also included in that bank? What?? Shouldn't it only be the new stuff? Also, why is the "ALL Instruments" folder gone?

It feels like such a mess. How are you guys adjusting to it? How do you usually go about finding things nowadays?

qoreybeats

19 Aug 2016

Rook wrote:Some of the new sounds are cool. I appreciate their efforts. But, omg...the organization (or lack thereof) is killing me.

Why do these banks need to be separated? If all the new sounds are identified by the creator's initials for easy search-ability, why couldn't they just be included in the "Factory" bank? And just go ahead and package in Orkester while you're at it, so all stock sounds are finally in one place. But, if they felt they needed to make "Reason 9 Sounds" separate, why are some "Factory" patches also included in that bank? What?? Shouldn't it only be the new stuff? Also, why is the "ALL Instruments" folder gone?

It feels like such a mess. How are you guys adjusting to it? How do you usually go about finding things nowadays?
Yo I was thinkng the same thing lol, Reason just piled all that shit together.

Gorgon

19 Aug 2016

They want to make things more interesting and less intimidating for the newbie preset junkies.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Rook

19 Aug 2016

This issue has just been the cherry on top of all my other mounting frustrations. I still love Reason and I've used it for a long time and dumped a lot of money into it...but this may be my last dance with Propellerhead. I just can't wrap my brain around the decisions they're making. Some of the new features are great, but it feels like the software as a whole is becoming more and more of a disjointed, clunky mess. Not to mention the technical issues I've had so far with R9...stupidly high CPU usage, audio glitches, stutters, freezes, unresponsive UI... Maybe it's just the hi-res/Retina issue; I'm going to mess with it some more and see if I can get it worked out.

Last Alternative

19 Aug 2016

My question is when R10 comes will there be a FSB, R9 FSB, and R10 FSB? Also, why no poly/multi-note synths in the R9 FSB?
I still think we need more modern and retro synth presets. Call me a preset junkie but I suck at sound design so I like tweaking what's close to what I want.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Dante

19 Aug 2016

I just hit the 'search' button, works mostly.

RandomSkratch

19 Aug 2016

Implementing a tagging function would be perfect so sounds that would be new in R9 would be tagged as such (along with their appropriate categorisation such as Bass + Analogue). This way all the patches could be included in one refill. You would still be able to browse in a sudo-file structure but it would be using categories instead.
Native Instruments did this with their Maschine product and it makes looking for patches pretty simple.

Yonatan

20 Aug 2016

Yes to tagging...

kuhliloach

20 Aug 2016

I've been making Favorites folders with names like Drums, Bass, Piano, etc on the left, then dragging the various patch, folder, or refill, into it. At least it categorizes things how I want to look for them, and brings my best patches and instruments into focus quickly. So my process is:

1. sift through giant mess (Refills folder, Reason 9 sounds, Factory Sound Bank, Orkester, Samples folder, etc.)
2. find cool patch
3. drag to appropriate Favorites folder on the left

This doesn't show everything I own categorically, but until we get a tagged data-driven browser it seems the Favorites feature is the best thing we've got.

MannequinRaces

20 Aug 2016

I really hope tagging gets implemented soon, that'd be great. The file management is lacking.

• Information