9.1 is here?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chimp_spanner

14 Sep 2016

Hm, can't get it going yet. I'm trying to get Gadget and Reason seeing each other, but Reason's "send clock" is greyed, saying I can't use it when in ReWire or MIDI sync mode (which I'm not). There's no beat counter moving when I press play. Ideas? :) Thanks!

PurpleMonkeyDishes

14 Sep 2016

I am so not excited by this... Am i the only one....
Music is everything

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

chimp_spanner

14 Sep 2016

I mean...it kind of depends what you want to do. If you don't use anything with Ableton Link then it's obviously not your thing. For someone like me, who has a ton of Ableton Link enabled apps on my Air 2 (which is part of my setup now, connected to a second audio interface and everything) it's potentially awesome.

If I can get it going.

WongoTheSane

14 Sep 2016

chimp_spanner wrote:Hm, can't get it going yet. I'm trying to get Gadget and Reason seeing each other, but Reason's "send clock" is greyed, saying I can't use it when in ReWire or MIDI sync mode (which I'm not). There's no beat counter moving when I press play. Ideas? :) Thanks!
Send clock is greyed out for me as well, but I can still sync to the iPhone.
sync.PNG
sync.PNG (2.39 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
After I updated, at the exact moment I selected "Ableton link" for the first time (not upon launching Reason), a Windows dialog box appeared asking me to confirm that Reason was allowed to communicate through the private network (the firewall was asking the question, not Reason). Could this be a firewall problem? Also, is your iPhone connected to your WiFi network? It doesn't work in 3G or 4G for instance. You've probably checked already but you never know...

chimp_spanner

14 Sep 2016

Yeah it's an Air 2 I'm trying to sync to on WiFi. Hmmmmm. This is weird. I got the network access dialogue too and I pressed yes. Dammit. This is supposed to be easy! *falls to knees*

Social Exodus

14 Sep 2016

Meh, for me this is a non starter. But then my idea of collaboration involves two people and two acoustic guitars so yeah, I'm a curmudgeon.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

WongoTheSane

14 Sep 2016

chimp_spanner wrote:Yeah it's an Air 2 I'm trying to sync to on WiFi. Hmmmmm. This is weird. I got the network access dialogue too and I pressed yes. Dammit. This is supposed to be easy! *falls to knees*
Have you tried while disabling the MIDI clock sync in Prefs? Not that it should matter, but it helps to separate problems.

There's a new version of the manual online (https://www.propellerheads.se/support/d ... elp-files/), the stuff about Link is on pages 557 and 558. Maybe you could have a quick glance for something obvious that you may have missed? (I've just read it, but I'm still stumped as to why it wouldn't work for you).

Edit: have you tried syncing to Figure instead of Gadget, just to make sure and eliminate a potential culprit?

chimp_spanner

14 Sep 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:
chimp_spanner wrote:Yeah it's an Air 2 I'm trying to sync to on WiFi. Hmmmmm. This is weird. I got the network access dialogue too and I pressed yes. Dammit. This is supposed to be easy! *falls to knees*
Have you tried while disabling the MIDI clock sync in Prefs? Not that it should matter, but it helps to separate problems.

There's a new version of the manual online (https://www.propellerheads.se/support/d ... elp-files/), the stuff about Link is on pages 557 and 558. Maybe you could have a quick glance for something obvious that you may have missed? (I've just read it, but I'm still stumped as to why it wouldn't work for you).
Yeah I've disabled MIDI clock out and all the associated tickboxes. Really strange. I disabled my AV, went to Windows firewall and ticked both private and public network access for Reason. Gonna read the manual now. And there's no other software I need to have installed? It doesn't use Bonjour or anything like that?

chimp_spanner

14 Sep 2016

I'm not even getting the green bar moving when I hit play. Hmmmm.

EnochLight

14 Sep 2016

chimp_spanner wrote:I'm not even getting the green bar moving when I hit play. Hmmmm.
If you have Ableton Link on in Reason, the only way you'll get that is if you have a second app linked to it. Have you setup the link between 2 (or more) apps first?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Abstrax

14 Sep 2016

So my understanding is that this just allows other devices and apps to run in parallel with reason? Am I missing something? Other than adding elements to a live performance situation, can this actually make a song better? This doesn't import audio into my project right?

WongoTheSane

14 Sep 2016

chimp_spanner wrote:
WongoTheSane wrote:

Yeah I've disabled MIDI clock out and all the associated tickboxes. Really strange. I disabled my AV, went to Windows firewall and ticked both private and public network access for Reason. Gonna read the manual now. And there's no other software I need to have installed? It doesn't use Bonjour or anything like that?
I do have Bonjour on the PC, but I don't think it's used at all. No other software needed, it worked out of the box, nothing to do on the iPhone, nothing else on PC. When you hit play, is Reason playing (even if the green bar doesn't move)? You aren't rewired to anything?

Edit: could it be your router's firewall?
Last edited by WongoTheSane on 14 Sep 2016, edited 1 time in total.

QVprod

14 Sep 2016

tiker01 wrote:
adfielding wrote:
QVprod wrote:Now if there was a way to disable Rewire in Ableton. You would basically have a Reason "Rewire" master...minus the transports not being linked.
There is, I think. Rewire is definitely disabled on my machine between Live & Reason, I seem to recall it involved creating a text file and adding a flag or two.

Also, Link in Reason is a great development. I genuinely thought Ableton would want to keep Link confined to Live on desktops, so it's really great to see them open it up for other devs. I was also amazed at how quickly it was all up and running, it just... works. Which is great!

Just start Reason first that will disable Reason enter into Rewire when Live is started. Perhaps there is a way to turn Rewire off?
Of course this obvious solution came to mind after posted my comment. In any case here's a video of Reason and Live synced with Ableton Link

Olivier

14 Sep 2016

I'm curious, I can't find this anywhere yet, which ports I should open up in my firewall to get this working ? Any propellerhead able to comment on that ?
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

PurpleMonkeyDishes

14 Sep 2016

Abstrax wrote:So my understanding is that this just allows other devices and apps to run in parallel with reason? Am I missing something? Other than adding elements to a live performance situation, can this actually make a song better? This doesn't import audio into my project right?
In short, No.
Ipad apps are fun for passing time when your taking a dump, But as regards serious music production.... mehh

I use ableton suite and Max for live with Reason and hardware synths,..and I am yet to ever find a phone or ipad app that is amazingly good enough to make it into a production.

Regarding collaboration, maybe if you wear woolly hats indoors and have friends like the united colors of beniton standing around in white rooms, then yeaaah .. Link it up baby.

:lol:
Music is everything

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

WongoTheSane

14 Sep 2016

Abstrax wrote:So my understanding is that this just allows other devices and apps to run in parallel with reason? Am I missing something? Other than adding elements to a live performance situation, can this actually make a song better? This doesn't import audio into my project right?
Yes, that's just it, but it can be used for non-live situations as well. I've connected my iPhone to my audio card, so now I can record the output of Figure in Reason in real-time. There are quite a number of Link-enabled programs on iPhones/iPad that can be used this way, so it makes it really easy to use whatever software is playing on the mobile device as a sort of remote audio plug-in. It's just one more syncing option, but it's one that allows syncing devices that couldn't easily be synced before, in a very easy way. Link being what it is, chances are the number of programs and devices using it will grow considerably in the next few years, so even if you don't use it right now, it might come handy down the line.

Marco Raaphorst

14 Sep 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:The strangest thing in this video is the reciprocal attitude of Reason and Ableton teams/CEOs. They seem to hold each other in high esteem, don't particularly see their products as competing, appreciate the fact that both are elements in a larger picture... It's a very nice change from some people's view that each should tend to be exactly like the other, or that they are similar products that will, in time, converge to a unique state.
respectful colleagues.

WongoTheSane

14 Sep 2016

eauhm wrote:I'm curious, I can't find this anywhere yet, which ports I should open up in my firewall to get this working ? Any propellerhead able to comment on that ?
There are no specific ports, mine is configured to allow all TCP and UDP connections (on the private network). The port number is probably negociated on the fly (not 100% sure, but in any case I don't have any specific port rules in my firewall).

chimp_spanner

14 Sep 2016

PurpleMonkeyDishes wrote:
In short, No.
Ipad apps are fun for passing time when your taking a dump, But as regards serious music production.... mehh

I use ableton suite and Max for live with Reason and hardware synths,..and I am yet to ever find a phone or ipad app that is amazingly good enough to make it into a production.

Regarding collaboration, maybe if you wear woolly hats indoors and have friends like the united colors of beniton standing around in white rooms, then yeaaah .. Link it up baby.

Not at all true;

Korg Gadget
Moog Model 15
Arturia iSem
Pulsecode Modular
Amplitube 4
Drumjam
Animoog
Analogkit
iM1
iMini
Borderlands (!!)
iProphet
Hexaglyphics
Turnado

These are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head that I've used in my stuff (anything from library/production music to Kontakt instruments for trailer composers to my own personal endeavours).

I mean obviously everyone's results are gonna vary. But I've got my Air 2 hooked up to a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 (laptop is on UR44). So it's got MIDI I/O for pretty much all of the above, dual instrument/mic pres, line in and SPDIF. It's really, really far from a toy ;)

**I will say there are some annoying limitations to iOS music, but they're almost entirely on the part of Apple. Not having an easily accessible common storage area, for instance, is a pain in the ass. But apps like AudioShare and FileBrowser sidestep that quite neatly, with Dropbox support, local networking, etc.

Abstrax

14 Sep 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:Yes, that's just it, but it can be used for non-live situations as well. I've connected my iPhone to my audio card, so now I can record the output of Figure in Reason in real-time. There are quite a number of Link-enabled programs on iPhones/iPad that can be used this way, so it makes it really easy to use whatever software is playing on the mobile device as a sort of remote audio plug-in. It's just one more syncing option, but it's one that allows syncing devices that couldn't easily be synced before, in a very easy way. Link being what it is, chances are the number of programs and devices using it will grow considerably in the next few years, so even if you don't use it right now, it might come handy down the line.
Let us all hope for the best. Maybe this is a step in the right direction. lol
PurpleMonkeyDishes wrote:In short, No.

This is what I was afraid of. The solution to just about every short-coming could be solved if I could just run Ableton through Reason's mixer. It can't be that hard. I love Ableton for things I can't do in Reason and vice versa.

PurpleMonkeyDishes

14 Sep 2016

chimp_spanner wrote:
In short, No.

Not at all true;

Korg Gadget
Moog Model 15
Arturia iSem
Pulsecode Modular
Amplitube 4
Drumjam
Animoog
Analogkit
iM1
iMini
Borderlands (!!)
iProphet
Hexaglyphics
Turnado

These are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head that I've used in my stuff (anything from library/production music to Kontakt instruments for trailer composers to my own personal endeavours).

I mean obviously everyone's results are gonna vary. But I've got my Air 2 hooked up to a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 (laptop is on UR44). So it's got MIDI I/O for pretty much all of the above, dual instrument/mic pres, line in and SPDIF. It's really, really far from a toy ;)

**I will say there are some annoying limitations to iOS music, but they're almost entirely on the part of Apple. Not having an easily accessible common storage area, for instance, is a pain in the ass. But apps like AudioShare and FileBrowser sidestep that quite neatly, with Dropbox support, local networking, etc.
Ok fair enough...well for me, Between the amount of VST's and quite a few hardware synthesizers, there is no need for the apps, they are just toys from all i'v tested.
Just my opinion
Link will be good for those who "Rely" on apps, or cheaper solutions.
Everyone to their own, I would much rather Propellerhead concentrate on other elements of Reason performance and sound engine personally.
Music is everything

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

PurpleMonkeyDishes

14 Sep 2016

Abstrax wrote: This is what I was afraid of. The solution to just about every short-coming could be solved if I could just run Ableton through Reason's mixer. It can't be that hard. I love Ableton for things I can't do in Reason and vice versa.
Yes that is so true, but will never happen. But I have thought of that so many times!
Music is everything

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

Rook

14 Sep 2016

PurpleMonkeyDishes wrote:I am so not excited by this... Am i the only one....
Meh, doesn't really make a difference to me either. But that's okay; still early in the 9.x cycle...hopefully we'll see some more exciting updates.

Really hoping they'll get on with updating the SDK...seems like it's been a long time since there was a significant upgrade for REs.

EnochLight

14 Sep 2016

Abstrax wrote: This is what I was afraid of. The solution to just about every short-coming could be solved if I could just run Ableton through Reason's mixer. It can't be that hard. I love Ableton for things I can't do in Reason and vice versa.
Yes that is so true, but will never happen. But I have thought of that so many times!
Wait - HUH?!!! Of course this can be done now, and it can be done quite easily in sync with Link! This is of course if your soundcard supports audio-loopback. I send Studio One audio through Reason's mixer all of the time (keeping sync using a MIDI loopback utility). I'll see if I can scrape up a version of Live that has Link and do a tutorial.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

QVprod

14 Sep 2016

EnochLight wrote:
Wait - HUH?!!! Of course this can be done now, and it can be done quite easily in sync with Link! This is of course if your soundcard supports audio-loopback. I send Studio One audio through Reason's mixer all of the time (keeping sync using a MIDI loopback utility). I'll see if I can scrape up a version of Live that has Link and do a tutorial.
I actually posted a video of syncing the two with Ableton Link in this thread a few comments up. All you'd have to do from there is route the output of Live into Reason's inputs whether it be with virtual audio loopback, digitally via Adat or Spdif, or with physical cables.

• Information