9.1 is here?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chrischrischris

14 Sep 2016

Chris

Ottostrom

14 Sep 2016

Damn! You beat be to it :D
I still have no idea what Ableton Link does after watching the video

ilikestargazing
Competition Winner

14 Sep 2016

Seems a little more responsive to me already. May just be the excitement talking.

dioxide

14 Sep 2016

Fucking incredible. This is big news for me and opens up a lot of possibilities. Nice work Propellerhead / Ableton. :thumbs_up:

I spotted Serato on the list too, as well as Max (under Other Platforms):
https://www.ableton.com/en/link/apps/

normen

14 Sep 2016

Cool, now lets hope Apple integrates it into Logic as well, could do without that MIDI clock connection between my two computers..

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

14 Sep 2016

Have to say that updating Reason 9 is vastly better than any previous version I have owned. Excellent way of doing it.

Grum.

EnochLight

14 Sep 2016

Ottostrom wrote: I still have no idea what Ableton Link does after watching the video
It allows you to wirelessly sync Reason with Link-supported apps over the same WiFi network. Other Reason users, Ableton Live (of course), and a plethora of iOS (and presumably Android) music making apps.

It's quite awesome, actually.

For all of the solo "producers" out there who have never been in a band... Well, now you can be! :)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

dioxide

14 Sep 2016

Trying this out shows something else amazing: you can sync two Reason Songs on the same computer. This is something that people have been asking for since way back. You can sync any Reason songs together meaning you can just open up a load of loops and jam. :D

tiker01

14 Sep 2016

Actually using Wi-Fi on the desktop side is not a requirement. The PC/Mac can be connected in wired fashion too. The requirement is the devices have to be on the same real network (Ad Hoc works too, VPN no no).
Last edited by tiker01 on 14 Sep 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

14 Sep 2016

dioxide wrote:Trying this out shows something else amazing: you can sync two Reason Songs on the same computer. This is something that people have been asking for since way back. You can sync any Reason songs together meaning you can just open up a load of loops and jam. :D
While this is definitely cool, it's not really official so there's one thing you should know to make it work as great as possible. First, open one document, enable Link sync, then open the second document. If you open both documents before enabling Link, they won't sync up right away. :)

miscend

14 Sep 2016

Is there a change-log somewhere? Any other changes and fixes.

tiker01

14 Sep 2016

MattiasHG wrote:
dioxide wrote:Trying this out shows something else amazing: you can sync two Reason Songs on the same computer. This is something that people have been asking for since way back. You can sync any Reason songs together meaning you can just open up a load of loops and jam. :D
While this is definitely cool, it's not really official so there's one thing you should know to make it work as great as possible. First, open one document, enable Link sync, then open the second document. If you open both documents before enabling Link, they won't sync up right away. :)
Any plans to build on this for example optionally enable linked start/stop of Reason songs?

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

14 Sep 2016

miscend wrote:Is there a change-log somewhere? Any other changes and fixes.
Here they are: https://www.propellerheads.se/reason/up ... ease-notes

EnochLight

14 Sep 2016

Something that's not on the changelog as well: Reason now "saves" the last MIDI sync setting - Internal, send sync, and now Link (whereas before you had to manually set after starting each project). It's also moved to the Transport as well as the old menu.
Last edited by EnochLight on 14 Sep 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

normen

14 Sep 2016

Talking about sync, is there any MIDI Clock-to-Link applications for Windows or OSX out there? I saw an iOS app that does this but nothing for desktop.. I'd like to let Logic put out MIDI clock and convert that to Ableton Link signals to sync my Reason PC to my main mixing rig. Obviously Logic supporting Link out of the box would be better but I'd like to see if Link works better than my current MIDI Clock setup.

T.G.

14 Sep 2016

This is great news!

But i can't for the life of me get it to work!
opened reason - clicked link setting in transport, open app with link enabled, both apps say one link - and they are ... not in sync... same tempo but not in sync.

tried ad hoc connection - devices do not show as "linked" - on a mac at least that don't appear to be an option.

unless i'm being incredibly dumb - which wouldn't be the first time ... any ideas please?

tiker01

14 Sep 2016

T.G. wrote:This is great news!

But i can't for the life of me get it to work!
opened reason - clicked link setting in transport, open app with link enabled, both apps say one link - and they are ... not in sync... same tempo but not in sync.

tried ad hoc connection - devices do not show as "linked" - on a mac at least that don't appear to be an option.

unless i'm being incredibly dumb - which wouldn't be the first time ... any ideas please?
You need to start them close enough as Link only supports beat and phase sync not synced start/stop.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite

Olivier

14 Sep 2016

Good news ! Now back to work on the SDK !! ;)

Link works great between my iphone and my ipad. My iphone and live work and now it goes with Reason too. Connecting my ipad to Live never worked, and unfortunately can't link my ipad to reason either... Mehh :| (both on the same wifi... its weird)
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

T.G.

14 Sep 2016

ok - did it the other way around - opened app on ipad first - that seemed to do it!
GREAT!

tiker01

14 Sep 2016

T.G. wrote:ok - did it the other way around - opened app on ipad first - that seemed to do it!
GREAT!
Oh in that case you could try to turn OFF then On in Reason that helps sometimes even in case Ableton Live.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

14 Sep 2016

T.G. wrote:tried ad hoc connection - devices do not show as "linked" - on a mac at least that don't appear to be an option.

Make sure you're on the same network and that Link is enabled in both apps. The order you start the apps should not matter. :)

dioxide

14 Sep 2016

normen wrote:Talking about sync, is there any MIDI Clock-to-Link applications for Windows or OSX out there? I saw an iOS app that does this but nothing for desktop.. I'd like to let Logic put out MIDI clock and convert that to Ableton Link signals to sync my Reason PC to my main mixing rig. Obviously Logic supporting Link out of the box would be better but I'd like to see if Link works better than my current MIDI Clock setup.
Link SDK for desktop is open source and available to developers. So although it might not exist now, maybe someone will create something?
http://cdm.link/2016/09/ableton-opening ... ing-today/
Ableton Link is open source, free software. All the source code for Ableton Link is available on GitHub. (It’s written in C++.) It’s also liberally licensed, under a GPLv2 license – free as in freedom. And if you do want to build proprietary software, there’s a licensing option. (There’s more to discuss here for those of us in the free software community as far as license compatibility, but I’m also less worried about that precisely because I feel the team at Ableton are flexible enough to have a discussion if the legal license itself doesn’t answer a question.)

normen

14 Sep 2016

dioxide wrote: Link SDK for desktop is open source and available to developers. So although it might not exist now, maybe someone will create something?
http://cdm.link/2016/09/ableton-opening ... ing-today/
Ah, cool. Thanks for the link! Lets see, if nobody gets to it in the next months maybe I'll fire up my dev environment..

fieldframe
RE Developer

14 Sep 2016

Nice, this is super easy to set up. I loaded up a bassline and drum sequence in Korg Gadget on my iPhone, turned on Link in Gadget and Reason, and then when I hit play in Reason they were in sync. Just need to find my headphone jack > 1/4" adapter now.

• Information