*** rsTouch/rsRemote, iOS 10, and rtpMIDI compatibility issue ***

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Delora Software

15 Sep 2016

We have confirmed that there is a compatibility issue between iOS 10 and rtpMIDI that is keeping rsTouch & rsRemote from properly connecting to Windows PCs using rtpMIDI. For this reason we advise against updating to iOS 10 at this time if you rely on rtpMIDI to operate rsTouch or rsRemote.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software
Developer of rsTouch Pro for Reason, and rsRemote for Reason

tiker01

15 Sep 2016

Delora Software wrote:We have confirmed that there is a compatibility issue between iOS 10 and rtpMIDI that is keeping rsTouch & rsRemote from properly connecting to Windows PCs using rtpMIDI. For this reason we advise against updating to iOS 10 at this time if you rely on rtpMIDI to operate rsTouch or rsRemote.

Is this something you can resolve or it has to be taken care by Tobias?

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Delora Software

15 Sep 2016

Its still early in the investigation but this appears to be an issue between iOS 10 CoreMIDI's network MIDI implementation and the current rtpMIDI driver. I have also observed this same problem when attempting to establish a connection from iOS 10 to rtpMIDI using a different app, if the connection is chosen from within the iOS app.

Its still unclear whether there is some way to trick iOS into doing the right thing, or some other work around. Regardless, I believe that this is a problem that will need to be addressed by Tobias.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

EnochLight

15 Sep 2016

Crap. Well that sucks bad. Really hoping Tobias is on the ball, as this kills off more than just rsTouch/rsRemote, I would imagine. :(
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Aquila

16 Sep 2016

Wow thanks for the heads up Doug, was just about to do the update!

Delora Software

19 Sep 2016

EnochLight wrote:Crap. Well that sucks bad. Really hoping Tobias is on the ball, as this kills off more than just rsTouch/rsRemote, I would imagine. :(
He is. I have emailed Tobias and he has confirmed the problem in his testing. He is contacting Apple to discuss the matter and will keep me informed. I'll pass along anything that I hear.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

dr2050

20 Sep 2016

He is. I have emailed Tobias and he has confirmed the problem in his testing. He is contacting Apple to discuss the matter and will keep me informed. I'll pass along anything that I hear.
Hi Doug, I'm Dan Rosenstark, author of MIDI Designer Pro for iOS. We just learned about this last week, and I've posted about it here regarding my app: http://mididesigner.com/qa/5173/trouble ... 5174#a5174. I've also posted a somewhat lame radar to Apple. I'd love to be in touch and discuss if you'd like... please hit me up at dan [at] mididesigner [dot] com.

Thanks!

WillyOD

22 Sep 2016

Any news on the subject, or do we have to wait for iOS patch from Apple?
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

Delora Software

24 Sep 2016

WillyOD wrote:Any news on the subject, or do we have to wait for iOS patch from Apple?
Nothing new to report. Tobias is working the problem and will contact me when he has news; I will pass the information along here. Bug reports have also been filed with Apple. Its still unclear though what needs to be done, and by whom. Stay tuned.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

gak

24 Sep 2016

I almost never do x.0 versions anyways. Unless they become like windows 10 and FORCE it on me.

tiker01

26 Oct 2016

Still no news?

Az én iPhone készülékemről küldve a Tapatalk segítségével

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Delora Software

26 Oct 2016

tiker01 wrote:Still no news?

Az én iPhone készülékemről küldve a Tapatalk segítségével
First, sorry for the lack of visible progress. I am sure its frustrating as a user; it is certainly to us! Here's the current status:

1. As of last week the rtpMIDI developer is still investigating the problem and pursuing discussions directly with Apple.

2. The latest version of iOS 10, 10.1 does not fix the problem.

3. We have identified, and are currently testing, a potential work around that we could incorporate into a rsTouch/rsRemote update to serve as an interim fix.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

gak

27 Oct 2016

In case anyone cares: I have NOT updated to 10. Maybe it's like win10 where resistance is futile, but not w/o an .x update.

Apple and micro$oft seem to be on this ridiculous brigade of being forced into updates.

I will NOT comply! :lol:

Delora Software

28 Oct 2016

We just released rsTouch version 2.7.6. It should be available for download from your local iTunes Store as an update shortly.

We implemented a change to address the iOS 10 network MIDI/rtpMIDI problem. This is only a work around, and hopefully the powers that be will address the underlying problem between iOS 10 and rtpMIDI in due time. In the mean time this will hopefully get everyone who encountered problems with iOS 10 and rtpMidi back up and running.

rsRemote requires a similar update so for now it still has the iOS 10/rtpMidi issue. We will let you know when we have released a rsRemote version that addresses this problem.

If you run into any issues please contact us through our support email address.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

EnochLight

29 Oct 2016

Delora Software wrote:We just released rsTouch version 2.7.6. It should be available for download from your local iTunes Store as an update shortly.

We implemented a change to address the iOS 10 network MIDI/rtpMIDI problem. This is only a work around, and hopefully the powers that be will address the underlying problem between iOS 10 and rtpMIDI in due time. In the mean time this will hopefully get everyone who encountered problems with iOS 10 and rtpMidi back up and running.

rsRemote requires a similar update so for now it still has the iOS 10/rtpMidi issue. We will let you know when we have released a rsRemote version that addresses this problem.

If you run into any issues please contact us through our support email address.
Does Tobias have a new version of rtpMIDI that we're supposed to use with 2.7.6?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Delora Software

30 Oct 2016

EnochLight wrote:Does Tobias have a new version of rtpMIDI that we're supposed to use with 2.7.6?
No. The underlying compatibility issue between iOS 10 and rtpMidi is still there. The code that we put into rsTouch (and are adding to rsRemote) side-steps the issue.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

EnochLight

30 Oct 2016

Delora Software wrote:
EnochLight wrote:Does Tobias have a new version of rtpMIDI that we're supposed to use with 2.7.6?
No. The underlying compatibility issue between iOS 10 and rtpMidi is still there. The code that we put into rsTouch (and are adding to rsRemote) side-steps the issue.
Got it. Are there any negatives to the code changes you made in rsTouch to fix this for now? I'm just going to assume Tobias never gets rtpMidi updated due to Apple's legendary lack of movement.

Delora Software

30 Oct 2016

EnochLight wrote:Got it. Are there any negatives to the code changes you made in rsTouch to fix this for now? I'm just going to assume Tobias never gets rtpMidi updated due to Apple's legendary lack of movement.
Not to be evasive but that's hard to answer since we just deployed this change widely. We had to make changes in a part of our codebase that has been stable and widely deployed now for a number of years. Furthermore we had to assume some functional responsibilities that iOS's CoreMidi use to (and should!) take care of. We did all of these changes very conservatively but its always what you don't know that makes things "interesting".

The changes though are very localized, meaning that they only affect the method used to establish a network MIDI connection. So the rest of rsTouch's functionality should not be impacted. We are also aware of at least one other major iOS MIDI app developer that has adopted a similar solution. Still you never really know what edge-cases are lurking outside your view. In the end we felt we had to make this move because, as you said, there are outside factors that may thwart resolution. Also, its unclear at this point whether this is even an "rtpMidi problem" per say. rtpMidi may well be just collateral damage.

I am confident that you all have a similar outlook, but here is how I, as a musician (not a developer,) have always looked at these sorts of OS upgrade dances. If you have a compelling reason to upgrade then do so knowing that you may encounter some rough spots until things settle. Otherwise wait until you have a reason to upgrade. Of course our major OS providers now make it annoying to resist, if not outright difficult.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

Delora Software

02 Nov 2016

We just released a new version of rsRemote, version 1.0.2, that contains the same code changes we released last week in rsTouch to address the iOS 10 network MIDI/rtpMIDI problem. The update is making its way through Apple's servers and should be available from your local iTunes Store as an update shortly.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

apostlethirteen

03 Nov 2016

I can confirm that the "workaround" does not work for windows 10 to iOS 10.0 with Reason 9.1
No change is noticed. It still drops the connection and the app freezes.

Name: Ricky Neff
Reason 8.x.x - 9
:adapted: :re: :refill: :rt:

apostlethirteen

03 Nov 2016

Can anyone reach Tobias? I have emailed him about 12 times over the past 2 months.

Name: Ricky Neff
Reason 8.x.x - 9
:adapted: :re: :refill: :rt:

Tiberiu

04 Nov 2016

I have good news.
The workaround is working in my case: R9.1 on Win10 Pro x64 machine, connected to iOS 10.1 via rtpMIDI. The connection is stable.

Delora Software

30 Dec 2016

I fielded a question related to the iOS 10 and rtpMIDI compatibility issue in a different thread that I wanted to also post here for anyone who is still following this thread.

Tobias released a new version of rtpMIDI recently. We did some testing of his latest rtpMIDI version in November against iOS 10.1, and the iOS 10.2 BETA; iOS 10.2 has of course now been officially released.

The new release of rtpMIDI worked well with the iOS 10.2 BETA. However there were problem under certain circumstances when used with iOS 10.1; we did not test against iOS 10.0. We believe the iOS 10.1 problems were due to a bug in iOS 10.1 that was addressed in iOS 10.2. Generally speaking it looks like Apple addressed a number of network MIDI related issues in iOS 10.2

So if you have upgraded to iOS 10.2, and have also upgrade to the latest rtpMIDI release, you should be good to go. If you are still on iOS 10.0 or 10.1 not so much.

That said, the work around that we introduced back in October appears to work well across all versions of iOS 10 as well as the previous and just released version of rtpMIDI. We intend to retain the work around in rsTouch and rsRemote for a while longer since it will take some time for users to update the earlier iOS 10 releases.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

• Information