Reason 10 predictions thread, ...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

What are your Reason 10 predictions?

Major endorsements for key genres (EDM, hip hop, pop, country)
2%
New revolutionary synth
6%
New product completely aimed at casual musicians (to work better with discover)
5%
Minor unexciting feature upgrades
22%
Subscription model
4%
Better Retina support
6%
A Reaktor like RE designer
4%
Polyphonic pitch control and audio to midi
3%
Step sequenzer player
2%
Blocks player
10%
Track grouping and folding
13%
Song root key with auto transpose of midi and audio files
2%
Transferable RE's
2%
Live workflow enhancements
10%
Automatic slicing from sampler recordings
4%
Rewire host / audio grab from other DAWs
4%

Total votes: 125
avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Dec 2016

Feel free to suggest predictions to add (maximum 20).

I get the feeling the last 2 versions of Reason have been leading up to something large. We have the update mechanism, the separation between Discover and Reason, impending RE SDK updates that are well overdue, ReGroove section GUI hasn't been updated, retina support not complete, and so on.

Feel free to share your thoughts and feelings.
Last edited by avasopht on 27 Dec 2016, edited 2 times in total.

HepCat

24 Dec 2016

avasopht wrote:Feel free to suggest predictions to add (maximum 20).
- Live workflow enhancements! (to whomever it may concern: Stalk my posts for my suggestions, there are some damn fine ones imo)

- VST wrapper (if only to synergistically increase RE sales. Currently l don't care either way.)

- MIDI controllability for everything, including Dr. Octorex slice selector and slice reverse and all the other slice options

- Sequencer enhancements (my suggestion about simplified zoom always gets shouted down i don't know why) (also check out Creativemind's myriad suggestions)

- A sampler which generates a slew of neatly cut clips from two clicks (Sampler start --> Sampler stop), to go to a clip pool

- Make Reason a ReWire host

- Give Reason an audio i/o device which grabs audio from many many other DAWs on the same computer, and neatly arranges them into stereo pairs grouped under DAW name. This would replace approx. £250 of hardware purchases. Must be able to feed a second Reason instance into this i/o device while jamming that second instance live.

That'll do for now :)

HepCat

24 Dec 2016

I voted for:

* Minor unexciting feature upgrades
* Subscription model

Seriously Propellerheads, don't do it.

Soft Enerji

25 Dec 2016

HepCat wrote:I voted for:

* Subscription model

Same here.........subscriptions are comin'......I just hope they do it the way Cakewalk have done theirs.......

vondersulzburg

25 Dec 2016

I hope that there will come

- Song root key with auto transpose of midi and audio files
- polyphonic pitch control and audio to midi ala celemony (or ara-integration of Melodyne)
- a step sequenzer as a player
- a player where I can start, stop Blocks with a lot of different timings like beat, Takt, 2 Takte ..n Takte, till end ..... and record this action in a track and afterwards I can flatten this recorded action to a song.

- piano roll shrinked to the notes inside the clip or to a specific key ala Ableton, Bitwig, Logic

- Groups of tracks where I can unfold the tracks and the mixer. min as in Ableton or Logic, better as in Bitwig or StudioOne
- a better support of Apples .caf files (especially the meta information like key, bpm, genre...

better midi rooting

Michael
MacBook Air 512GB SSD 16GB RAM, Reason 11 Suite, LogicProX, FL-Studio, Live10Suite

East Island

25 Dec 2016

vondersulzburg wrote:
- Song root key with auto transpose of midi and audio files
- polyphonic pitch control and audio to midi ala celemony (or ara-integration of Melodyne)
- a step sequenzer as a player
- a player where I can start, stop Blocks with a lot of different timings like beat, Takt, 2 Takte ..n Takte, till end ..... and record this action in a track and afterwards I can flatten this recorded action to a song.

Michael
Nice opions. I like that. :thumbs_up:
A Controle Freak. Loves Logic&Reason&Luna ;) , remote controllers.
https://soundcloud.com/east-island

Creativemind

25 Dec 2016

* Subscription model

No no subscriptions Props. I haven't the funds for stuff like that unless it's either if that would work? probably not lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

superpop

25 Dec 2016

* Subscription model

this and me 100% Reaper

Data_Shrine

25 Dec 2016

They will update the name of the software to Reason 10. That's about it :D

FlowerSoldier

25 Dec 2016

If they could implement a curve function with the pencil tool in the sequencer, I'd be a happy guy. After all, it's the 21st century. That doesn't seem like too much to ask for.

Exowildebeest

25 Dec 2016

Some of the suggestions in the poll are a bit depressing...

I'm sure there'll be a lot of pissed off people if they move to a subscription model, but in the end, most, including me, will pay up anyway because they love Reason and/or because of the simply huge vendor lock in factor...

But I don't think it'll happen. Propellerheads is on a stable road with RE's and Reason development, no need to rush into experiments, unless finances are terrible.

Jmax

25 Dec 2016

My guess is it will be 2 new Players of some sort and some new improvements in the workflow.

EdGrip

25 Dec 2016

Part of me thinks they'll be working toward something fairly dramatic, because 10 is a bit of a landmark. The bigger part of me isn't getting my hopes up. Anyway, we've only just had 9!

avasopht
Competition Winner

25 Dec 2016

Exowildebeest wrote:Some of the suggestions in the poll are a bit depressing...

I'm sure there'll be a lot of pissed off people if they move to a subscription model, but in the end, most, including me, will pay up anyway because they love Reason and/or because of the simply huge vendor lock in factor...

But I don't think it'll happen. Propellerheads is on a stable road with RE's and Reason development, no need to rush into experiments, unless finances are terrible.
That wasn't the intention.

I get the feeling we're in for something incredibly special.

I put up some of the pessimistic ideas just because I imagined there'd be a few people who might suggest it ;)

There's a limit on options so I'll add as many of the suggestions to the poll as I can fit tomorrow.

Kenni
Site Admin

25 Dec 2016

I think they'll actually improve how to work with sample editing, since it's one of the things that'll need some improvement to become top-tier
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

jonheal

25 Dec 2016

I've been a sucker and ponied up for every update since version 4. What does that come to per year? Despite my general loathing of the software subscription model, I suppose I would fall in line like the bleeting sheep I am, assuming my average yearly cost would not increase -- and should the subscription model appear.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Marc64

25 Dec 2016

updated sdk so developers can port vst to re without leaving things out that with current sdk wouldnt be possible. yeah I know the horizontal size limit would be a "problem" but the props is inovative :)
Granual synth like Padshop pro.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Creativemind

25 Dec 2016

I'm looking forward to 10 and still on 8.3 and not expecting it to be announced till at least June anyway as then that'll be a year won't it. I am expecting it to be great though and I'll probably get the Reason 9 upgrade slightly before so I get a week or 2 to play with that and then the free 10 download.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

jayhosking

25 Dec 2016

Please never switch to a subscription model, Reason.

fieldframe
RE Developer

26 Dec 2016

Youtube export.

In all seriousness, though, I don't really expect to get blown away by new Reason features after 8 and 9, but I have to give Propellerhead credit for making solid incremental improvements. I used to wish for things like VST support or new stock synths, but then I bought too many Rack Extensions and now I don't care. :lol:

Most likely, the marquee features in 10 will be about songwriting, as that's where Reason has been going for awhile. So I'd expect things that will make it easier to go from an idea, to a beat, to a full song. That probably means some improvements to Blocks, maybe making them more granular and clip-like (clip launcher please?), maybe a novel way to switch between them while recording. Maybe some Block-related Player upgrades, too, to make it effortless to change keys as you go, keep track of which Blocks are in which key, maybe some auto-transposition...

Propellerhead has at least a year and a half before Reason 10 comes out, anyway. And there's still a good chance of a 9.5 with something interesting and unexpected.

Soft Enerji

26 Dec 2016

jayhosking wrote:Please never switch to a subscription model, Reason.
So what if they did? What if they do what Cakewalk did? Ya sign up for the subscription then a year or so down the tracks they say "you never have to pay for an upgrade again". Yeah it got me at first but that's the situ with the Bakers. Regular updates, fixes, enhancements and all for zip. Obviously if they release stuff outside the core program that I might like then I'll have to stump some hard earned.

Even if the Props don't use the Cakewalk model, how bad could it be? For an annual fee they might introduce new cool stuff more often. Think about that. New FX, utilities and, wait for it.........instruments :puf_smile:

Anyhoos, time will no doubt tell.......

Cheers

Mark

stratatonic

26 Dec 2016

Exowildebeest wrote:I'm sure there'll be a lot of pissed off people if they move to a subscription model...But I don't think it'll happen. Propellerheads is on a stable road with RE's and Reason development, no need to rush into experiments, unless finances are terrible.
If they are desperate for new customers - which it looks like they are with their referral program - then the subscription model is coming.

Not sure why everyone is worried about this model. Your existing software will still work, and from what I have seen, you can still pay for regular upgrades just as before.

I just hope they continue with letting us pay 129 to get the latest version, no matter how many upgrades we have passed on.

raccoonboy

26 Dec 2016

I think there will be more players. A lot more and easy to make custom ones to for example control external synths.

Devices will be udpdated to look more like players. More modern and fresh. i.e. parsec two. They will be zoomable so you can have them take up your full screen and fit in advanced options. Everything somehow will seem more modular yet more simplistic.

As people have said it will be easier for companies to port from VST and some big companies will already be on board. Reason will be marketed almost like an in-game purchase app for buying REs so a reduced price on Reason to get folk on board. Workflow will be vastly improved and will be seemlessly integrated between computer and tablet.

raccoonboy

26 Dec 2016

Also worth noting that if they do switch to a subscription model I'm pretty sure legally they'd have to allow you to keep the version you are on if you ever stop paying as otherwise you would not be able to use your REs.

HepCat

26 Dec 2016

That reminds me:

- Make REs transferrable. I don't even have any, but *everybody* agrees on this matter.

• Information