Rack and Mixer in one window?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
xRwu8

18 Jan 2017

Maybe I'm losing it :-?, but I could've sworn there was a way to detach the Rack and Mixer from the Sequencer window and then combine them, so one window has the Sequencer and then the other is a combo of Rack and Mixer, where you can F5 & F6 between the views. Is this possible?

I changed my setup to dual monitors, with the Sequencer on the big one and the Mixer & Rack on the small one. I guess it's not so bad to just have 3 windows and use F5/F6 to switch between separate full-screen windows on the small monitor. Just seems odd that you can't create a Mixer/Rack combo window (as far as I can tell).
:reason: :recycle: :refill: :re: :rt:

Benedict
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2017

I have a pair of monitors and Seq + Mixer in one and Rack in the other. This works just dandy.

To detach a view, press the bent arrow on the top right of the pane. You should then have a full sized window of that view. Drag that into your other monitor. It is all explained ITFM. The catch is that sometimes the new window can end up below the main, so use the Task Bar to choose the one you want to focus.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

househoppin09

19 Jan 2017

Frustratingly, it seems that the sequencer is the one thing that can't be detached. As far as I can tell, you can have the rack or mixer in its own window and the other two sharing a second window, which you do by "detaching" the component you want occupying its own window, but for some bizarre reason this doesn't seem to be allowed for the sequencer. If it's important to you to have the sequencer continuously visible and fullscreen on one of your monitors, then your best bet is probably to do what you suggested with the three windows (and of course you can simply resize the rack and mixer windows so that they sit side-by-side on your second screen). When not using a dual monitor setup, it's much easier to do what you want--just hit F7 to instantly view the sequencer fullscreen at any time, and F5+F6 together to instantly view the rack/mixer combo at any time.

centomila

19 Jan 2017

househoppin09 wrote:Frustratingly, it seems that the sequencer is the one thing that can't be detached. As far as I can tell, you can have the rack or mixer in its own window and the other two sharing a second window, which you do by "detaching" the component you want occupying its own window, but for some bizarre reason this doesn't seem to be allowed for the sequencer. If it's important to you to have the sequencer continuously visible and fullscreen on one of your monitors, then your best bet is probably to do what you suggested with the three windows (and of course you can simply resize the rack and mixer windows so that they sit side-by-side on your second screen). When not using a dual monitor setup, it's much easier to do what you want--just hit F7 to instantly view the sequencer fullscreen at any time, and F5+F6 together to instantly view the rack/mixer combo at any time.

I think you missed something :)

CTRL+F5 = Detach mixer
CTRL+F6 = Detach Rack

Now you have 3 separate windows. The browser and the transport controls are not available in the mixer.

Detach = Detach from sequencer. Once you have detached everything from the sequencer, the sequencer became a separate window.

ejanuska

19 Jan 2017

If you hit F5 and F6 at the same time doesn't that display the mixer and rack in the same window?

househoppin09

19 Jan 2017

No. Try it: detach everything so that you've got three separate windows, then go over to the rack or mixer window and press F5+F6. It collapses everything back down to one window before executing the command. OP is right--there is no way to have the sequencer in one window and rack+mixer in the other. The closest thing is to use one of the two approaches I mentioned, unless some clever soul can point out something I've missed... ;)

(Incidentally, does anyone have any idea what the logic is behind allowing use of the transport controls in the rack window, but not the mixer window? Weird.)

SA Studio

19 Jan 2017

(Incidentally, does anyone have any idea what the logic is behind allowing use of the transport controls in the rack window, but not the mixer window? Weird.)

In 2017, the transport should actually be detachable and dockable. Many people run multiple monitor setups, and many DAWs let you detach the transport and put it where you need it. It's certainly a smart feature.

I will say the thing that saves this, for me, is the power of using the Number Pad on your QWERTY board to control the transport during a tracking session. It's extremely functional. Next time you're tracking in Reason, use your number pad to return to L marker, start/stop, record, add new Dub, etc etc. It really minimizes steps you always need to do while tracking.

xRwu8

23 Jan 2017

Thanks for all the replies! (No clue why I didn't get any email notifications, but I'm just seeing all of these now.)

Yes, what househoppin09 said is what I'm talking about: you can't detach the Sequencer and have the remaining Mixer and Rack in a combo window: two windows total, Sequencer by itself.

Looks like I'll just roll with the three windows setup: Sequencer on big screen, Mixer & Rack on laptop screen. Since the laptop screen is small, and there's a minimum size to the Mixer and Rack windows, having them both side-by-side isn't possible because they slightly overlap, which is visually distracting, so I'll just have them maximized and toggle between them using the F5/F6 keys.

Let me know if anyone else has run into this problem and come up with another solution :puf_smile:
:reason: :recycle: :refill: :re: :rt:

Redster

24 Jan 2017

My solution to this was to buy another monitor....

Rack left sequencer middle mixer right.

Let's hope props give us more flexibility in future.

• Information