What Effect Is this?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
skie

24 Jan 2017

This chirpy 808 type snare in the link below has really been growing on me lately, it's used in so many hits and I'm wondering what the effect is. I read somewhere it's an 808 with a "phone receiver" effect - closest I could find in Reason was the Gadget setting on ART...any suggestions?

VHS

24 Jan 2017

Sounds like an 808 snare transposed down. Sounds like there's a tambourine hit or something on top, also pitched down. Let me know if you still can't crack it and I'll dig a little deeper.

DasInsekt

25 Jan 2017

why not just using this... it say´s free DL

or just get some 808 samples... i mean its just a fucking snare dont make a science

skie

25 Jan 2017

DasInsekt wrote:why not just using this... it say´s free DL

or just get some 808 samples... i mean its just a fucking snare dont make a science
First off, don't tell me what I should or should not do, and don't F at me dog. Didn't your mom teach you any manners? Secondly, there's an effect working on the snare, which I would like to apply to other types of snares. SMDH.

C//AZM

26 Jan 2017

IMO. It's a sample from a song which already had a clap hitting the same time as the 808 snare. To my ears, the snare is transposed up from the original. It also has some other processing.. a bit of verb and compression.

househoppin09

26 Jan 2017

Yep, C//AZM nailed it perfectly.

HepCat

26 Jan 2017

Sounds like a [white noise?] snare with a real life closed hi-hat that is probably (the closed hi-hat) a half octave lower than it actually is in real life.

skie

26 Jan 2017

Thanks for all the input. All good suggestions. My first thoughts were that it came from a very old school lo-fi drum machine. But it sounds like an 808. Anyway, its cuts through the mix very nice and its fun to layer with. Going to keep experimenting with effects and layers. The good news is I'm learning how dope audiomatic is (esp Tape and Gadget) is on snares.

• Information