How big percent of the Reason patches make you wowed?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deepndark

02 Mar 2017

Before I reveal my opinion, I'd like to hear yours.
So how big percent of your sounds/patches wow you?
This is actually weird but back in the Record times I just made music and didn't think that anything is as meh as now.

normen

02 Mar 2017

It got more in Reason 9 but at the same time its one of my gripes.. These days it seems people judge the quality of a synth or instrument based on how much "wow" they hear when just pressing a single key when opening a preset and the developers seem to cater to that.

Thing is, these sounds are imo pretty much useless to make actual music with. Maybe they work as a single sound for some movie soundtrack but if you combine lots of sound which each are tuned for maximum "fatness" and usage of the frequency spectrum you inevitably get a mushy mess as a result..

If you really listen then even most EDM music is based on rather simple sounds which in combination of different parts unfold a "wall of sound" or - if you actually have a "crazy" sound the other instruments have to make room whenever it appears.

Its like AC/DCs guitars. People try to use lots of distortion and whatnot to try and emulate that sound but actually the sound is pretty thin and relatively clean. Its when they are doubled and bass and drums come in that the actual sound gets going.

deepndark

02 Mar 2017

Normen, it's true that lots of the sounds are like "models" - these women might be good doing a fashion show, but if you need actors for a movie, only few of the models could be good for that film.

lowpryo

02 Mar 2017

maybe like 5% tops. there's a lot of cheesy sounding patches in the default FSB. I can't speak for Reason 9 cause I haven't heard them since the beta, but I remember them being better.

Catblack

02 Mar 2017

I'm a big fan of the R9 bank. I really love the dulcimer patches because they really help me find melodies, and I bang out chords on them like they are harsh upright pianos. (Using my launchpad and my custom codec.) I also really am feeling the patch Brian's Piano that's in there.

Generally with refills you are hearing how their creator has eq'd their combis, and sometimes that doesn't sound good on my monitors or headphones. I also always try out the mod wheel to see if there's routing there.

As far as patches overall, I love running through something at random (whether it's a RE's default patches or a refill) and then finding that a melody I'm plinking around with fits that sound perfectly. Then I play it for a bit and save it off for later development.

So I can't give a percentage, but I always find something I'm happy with.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

theshoemaker

02 Mar 2017

I think even the R8 bank is good. The problem is that a lot of them are just naked patches. Put some effects and modulation on them and they start to be amazing.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Data_Shrine

02 Mar 2017

I think the FSB patches and samples are fine. Can't speak for R9. Still, I believe that patches are meant to be tweaked. I also love starting from scratch. So i guess they do the job, thats about it and thats just fine for me.

QVprod

02 Mar 2017

Agreed with normen. When it comes to song creation, no one cares about the wow factor of the synth used. All that matters is that the sounds complement the song.

Gulale

02 Mar 2017

This is what I noticed in Reason patches. simple word, they are cooked. Lets say you have B3 that B3 is ready to sit in the mix. 50Hz is high pass filter in it. you open another daw the rumbling is there and you are the one to clean it up. In Reason if I create a drum loop and start pressing a key, it will come out a decent song. Are they useable? hell yes. less work for me. If I wanna change something I will change it in the mix.
Gulale aka Bereket

deepndark

20 Mar 2017

Ok, so here's my opinion as promised:
There's almost no patches I like in these days. I feel like most sounds are unispiring, (included my own patches). But that's not all, I also think this about most samples too. Only ERA that made me wow'd almost all the time was when I used R & R combo. Doesn't make sense to me either.
Or then I'm just getting old. It's like all the sounds are faulty or kinda "wrong". I just asked myself: How did I do all the music so far?
I am sober atm, but I didn't mock Reason, just saying that I can't be arsed to bake the sounds from scratch every time I want to make music.
Wow level atm: 3% / 100%.

normen

20 Mar 2017

deepndark wrote:Ok, so here's my opinion as promised:
There's almost no patches I like in these days. I feel like most sounds are unispiring, (included my own patches). But that's not all, I also think this about most samples too. Only ERA that made me wow'd almost all the time was when I used R & R combo. Doesn't make sense to me either.
Or then I'm just getting old. It's like all the sounds are faulty or kinda "wrong". I just asked myself: How did I do all the music so far?
I am sober atm, but I didn't mock Reason, just saying that I can't be arsed to bake the sounds from scratch every time I want to make music.
Maybe just make music and find out its not really about the sounds? :)

deepndark

20 Mar 2017

normen wrote:
deepndark wrote:Ok, so here's my opinion as promised:
Maybe just make music and find out its not really about the sounds? :)
Yeah, well... what else can one do. :D
I think some music works very well when the sounds don't grab your attention too much <-- I think this is what you meant.
The biggest importance relys in the actual idea, true.
But, hey ... thanks for your input.

• Information