what is the -20db button for on SSl

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MitchClark89

04 Mar 2017

hello to all of the friends

lately thanks to this message forum i am experimenting and learning more about the nuances of reason that makes it a great thing. today i wondered what is the -20db dim butotn for? when i push it, all the mix goes quiet lol. is that for mixing down to hear what loud things might be overtaking the mix? i do not know.

thanks to all

MC

normen

04 Mar 2017

Its for lowering the volume, yes. But its mainly for two situations:
a) When you want to talk to somebody while listening to the mix without messing up your exact listening volume (many engineers tend to have their listening volume fixed at one position).
b) When you use the talkback microphone to talk to the guy in the recording room, to avoid feedback from the recording microphone (if your talkback goes to a speaker in the recording room).

MitchClark89

04 Mar 2017

normen wrote:Its for lowering the volume, yes. But its mainly for two situations:
a) When you want to talk to somebody while listening to the mix without messing up your exact listening volume (many engineers tend to have their listening volume fixed at one position).
b) When you use the talkback microphone to talk to the guy in the recording room, to avoid feedback from the recording microphone (if your talkback goes to a speaker in the recording room).
OMG @normen that is would be the last thing i would ever think of for that button use but now that you tell me it makes perfect sense considering it is modelled on the real thing so in a "proper" studio enviroment (not like mine lol) the button would get alot of uses!

thank you very much for the help

MC

mreese80

04 Mar 2017

Exactly what Norman said.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

selig
RE Developer

04 Mar 2017

The 'odd' thing is that no other mixer (hardware or software) that I'm aware of puts the Dim function in the mix bus path. It's typically in the Monitor section.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

04 Mar 2017

selig wrote:The 'odd' thing is that no other mixer (hardware or software) that I'm aware of puts the Dim function in the mix bus path. It's typically in the Monitor section.

I had been thinking that it would be cool if Selig Gain included a dim function ;)

Not just for being able to place it anywhere, but also being able to utilize the fade feature which accompanies mute. So that coming out of dim mode particularly could be less abrupt and a little more gradual. Maybe the dim switch could be a dual function/option of the mute switch?

Just an idea :)

selig
RE Developer

04 Mar 2017

joeyluck wrote:
selig wrote:The 'odd' thing is that no other mixer (hardware or software) that I'm aware of puts the Dim function in the mix bus path. It's typically in the Monitor section.

I had been thinking that it would be cool if Selig Gain included a dim function ;)

Not just for being able to place it anywhere, but also being able to utilize the fade feature which accompanies mute. So that coming out of dim mode particularly could be less abrupt and a little more gradual. Maybe the dim switch could be a dual function/option of the mute switch?

You'd still have the same problem that the dim function SHOULD be in the monitor section and not in the mix bus.

How would you use this feature?

Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

04 Mar 2017

selig wrote:
joeyluck wrote:

You'd still have the same problem that the dim function SHOULD be in the monitor section and not in the mix bus.

How would you use this feature?

I was thinking there's enough outputs via more audio to route things to different mixes. I think some people might use the dim function for simply quickly checking mixes at lower volumes. And people tend to find other ways to use things...
But I was really more interested in the idea of just having a dim function that fades back in. So in those instances that I were to dim it to speak to someone, it wouldn't be an immediate jump to full volume.

etyrnal

04 Mar 2017

I use it also to see what the mix sounds like when it's much quieter.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Last edited by etyrnal on 04 Mar 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Biolumin3sc3nt

04 Mar 2017

My last Dj Mixer from 1999 had the -20db pad on the output bus. Vestax Pmc ( something or other) - 4 channel, nserts and send and returns. I think it was just called "DIM". Same one Richie Hawtin used on Decks Efx and 909 - I gave that to a friend a few years back as a Christmas gift. Anyways, the -20db affected the entire volume and it was useful at times when things got out of hand.

Biolumin3sc3nt

04 Mar 2017

Oh and yes there was - 20db pad for a mic input as well. It's been discontinued for a while now

selig
RE Developer

04 Mar 2017

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:

My last Dj Mixer from 1999 had the -20db pad on the output bus. Vestax Pmc ( something or other) - 4 channel, nserts and send and returns. I think it was just called "DIM". Same one Richie Hawtin used on Decks Efx and 909 - I gave that to a friend a few years back as a Christmas gift. Anyways, the -20db affected the entire volume and it was useful at times when things got out of hand.
Yea, I'm talking about the "other" kind of mixer…

Selig Audio, LLC

• Information