one thing with using blocks is a problem

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
fieldframe
RE Developer

20 Mar 2017

I do use blocks for basic song structure, but I usually end up recording or pasting a lot of overrides over them. I agree that they feel like a sort of half-complete feature.

I would like to see two things from blocks:

1. The ability to overlap them (so I can have a drum and bassline in one block and then have a lead in another block that gets soloed sometimes)

2. The ability to launch, solo, and mute them in real-time and record the automation. Basically, make blocks work more like clips in Live.

C//AZM

23 Mar 2017

I second Selig's statement about Opcode Vision and the way it handled pattern based sequencing. That was in the 90s and it still wrks better than many sequencers today. By (works better) I meant was more versatile and had more sequencer functionality than Reason does today with the exception of the modern things.

Blocks should be able to overlap.

There should be a way to play and cue-up blocks on the fly. It's the easy way to audition the transitions from block to block without having to commit to arranging them in song mode

In block mode, you should be able to select/copy/paste a block without having to open, copy the tracks and then close, open another block, then paste...unless I'm missing how to do it.

There should be the option nest blocks within each other which will allow you to create several different arrangements in a project. For instance, block 10 (titled album mix) consists of intro, verse, block3, verse2, block3, verse3, block3, break and outro. while block 11 (titled single mix) consists of intro, verse, block3, verse2, block3, verse3, block3, block3, block3, block3.

There should be a way to convert the entire song of blocks to song mode and allow you to edit anywhere independently.
So when you convert to song clip, there shouldn't still be the original block info underneath. Sometimes, after I convert to song blocks I try to delete(rather than mute) a chunk of pattern and the original is there staring at me. Also, when I want the piano in the third verse to only play the last few bars, if you try to drag the beginning of the file to the bar you want it to start, there's the original block info sitting underneath.

MitchClark89

24 Mar 2017

C//AZM wrote:I second Selig's statement about Opcode Vision and the way it handled pattern based sequencing. That was in the 90s and it still wrks better than many sequencers today. By (works better) I meant was more versatile and had more sequencer functionality than Reason does today with the exception of the modern things.

There should be a way to play and cue-up blocks on the fly. It's the easy way to audition the transitions from block to block without having to commit to arranging them in song mode

In block mode, you should be able to select/copy/paste a block without having to open, copy the tracks and then close, open another block, then paste...unless I'm missing how to do it.

There should be the option nest blocks within each other which will allow you to create several different arrangements in a project. For instance, block 10 (titled album mix) consists of intro, verse, block3, verse2, block3, verse3, block3, break and outro. while block 11 (titled single mix) consists of intro, verse, block3, verse2, block3, verse3, block3, block3, block3, block3.

There should be a way to convert the entire song of blocks to song mode and allow you to edit anywhere independently.
So when you convert to song clip, there shouldn't still be the original block info underneath. Sometimes, after I convert to song blocks I try to delete(rather than mute) a chunk of pattern and the original is there staring at me. Also, when I want the piano in the third verse to only play the last few bars, if you try to drag the beginning of the file to the bar you want it to start, there's the original block info sitting underneath.
everything you said about blocks here is excellent point sir :thumbs_up:

Oquasec

24 Mar 2017

they need snap to events in reason...
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Karim
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2017

selig wrote:
Kalm wrote:
theshoemaker wrote:I use everything in block mode ... effects ... automation ... just everything. When I'm done with the arrangement, I add an overlay in songmode to glue stuff together and fix flaws from the block transitions.
This. I stopped fighting what I couldn't do and kind of appreciated what I could do with it. It beats having to copy and paste everywhere in Pro Tools while the only thing I know they have close is MIDI Mirroring. <---- Now thats an idea Props can check out. Name a clip and any clips with those designated names could function as MIDI Mirroring.
I never got along with MIDI Mirroring in PT - maybe it's better now, but at first it was easy to 'break' the connection between the regions/clips, and not always clear what was linked to what.

The system that worked best for me in this regard was Studio Vision (Opcode systems), which was based on having 26 complete sequencers (lettered A-Z) that you could trigger from alpha keys, MIDI keys, or type into a list to be played back in order (an advanced 'clip launching' feature long before Ableton Live).
never known that Studio Vision was so advanced! [emoji15]

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Karim
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2017

C//AZM wrote:I second Selig's statement about Opcode Vision and the way it handled pattern based sequencing. That was in the 90s and it still wrks better than many sequencers today. By (works better) I meant was more versatile and had more sequencer functionality than Reason does today with the exception of the modern things.

Props could develops a multi-block system that in some sense it can folds tracks...
And blocks visible on the mixer and effect them..it could works?

Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

C//AZM

24 Mar 2017

Karim wrote:
selig wrote:
Kalm wrote:
theshoemaker wrote:I use everything in block mode ... effects ... automation ... just everything. When I'm done with the arrangement, I add an overlay in songmode to glue stuff together and fix flaws from the block transitions.
This. I stopped fighting what I couldn't do and kind of appreciated what I could do with it. It beats having to copy and paste everywhere in Pro Tools while the only thing I know they have close is MIDI Mirroring. <---- Now thats an idea Props can check out. Name a clip and any clips with those designated names could function as MIDI Mirroring.
I never got along with MIDI Mirroring in PT - maybe it's better now, but at first it was easy to 'break' the connection between the regions/clips, and not always clear what was linked to what.

The system that worked best for me in this regard was Studio Vision (Opcode systems), which was based on having 26 complete sequencers (lettered A-Z) that you could trigger from alpha keys, MIDI keys, or type into a list to be played back in order (an advanced 'clip launching' feature long before Ableton Live).

Blast from the past and still just touching the surface. OMS was a great universal system created by Doug Wyatt who ended up at Apple and created the apple Audio/midi utility.
Gibson sucks.

Looks so old school!

selig
RE Developer

24 Mar 2017

C//AZM wrote:
Karim wrote:
selig wrote:
Kalm wrote:

Blast from the past and still just touching the surface. OMS was a great universal system created by Doug Wyatt who ended up at Apple and created the apple Audio/midi utility.
Gibson sucks.
And Doug is a cool guy - met him once at a music festival I was playing at. Super talented and super nice guy. And yea, Gibson Sucks (RIP Opcode and Oberheim).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

raymondh

24 Mar 2017

I also use blocks as a narrative tool - specifically to assist with arrangement. Dragging a few blocks onto the song window labelled into, verse, chorus, middle-8, etc helps me frame up a song - even if the clips are all entered in song mode.

Using this approach helps provide a "top down" view on the arrangement, working out how long the song will be, dragging around clips with riffs etc to get a feel where they will best sit in the arrangement etc.

I would really like more narrative and arrangement tools in the sequencer, but the blocks labelling plus clip labels is handy. (Off topic but the main use I have for clip labels is when I record one of my hardware synths, The label will be the patch number/name and describe any tweaks, so if I have to go back and re-record, I know what setup to recreate.)

C//AZM

24 Mar 2017

selig wrote:
C//AZM wrote:
Karim wrote:
selig wrote:
Kalm wrote:

Gibson sucks.
And Doug is a cool guy - met him once at a music festival I was playing at. Super talented and super nice guy. And yea, Gibson Sucks (RIP Opcode and Oberheim).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
didn't they kill off the "Chapman Stick" too?

Yvo2000

06 Nov 2017

I wish you could run multi block at the same time, and i wish yo could select them on the fly wit a midi keayboard and record the live arrangement. I think also that you should be able to copy and paste block, i.e. copy Block 4 and paste it in block 5 withot having to copy tracks then open a new block. ....

As i spend a lot of time in Live by the time Reason couldn^t manage VST, i only regret live clips management and i think a little bit of inovation with Reason's block mode could fill the gap....

By the way my favorite DAW is far away Reason.... the one I grew up with since so long...

• Information