is there a way to sample the return FX from a 14:2 mixer

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MitchClark89

29 Mar 2017

hello to all my reason freinds :D

i watch a tute recently by the props which showed me a cool way to "sample" return fx from a SSL using "sample in" routing from the SSL and control room outs (to monitor just the fx). i like this way and think it would be cool.

my question is, if i have patch that has 14:2 mixer with alligators and other RE in it for inserts, is there a way i can take some routing from back of 14:2 into a merger ( for example) then send to the sample in and catch all three fx in a nnxt by recording sample? i have tried but not working as yet it just seem to give me the normal signal with all the fx on it.

thanks you

MC

househoppin09

29 Mar 2017

Can you link to the tutorial video you saw? That would help to get a sense of the kind of process you're talking about.

When you say "patch that has 14:2 mixer with alligators and other RE in it for inserts"... did you really mean inserts, or did you mean sends? In other words, it sounds like the "alligators and other RE" are being used as sends on the 14:2. Is that what you meant?

MitchClark89

30 Mar 2017

househoppin09 wrote:Can you link to the tutorial video you saw? That would help to get a sense of the kind of process you're talking about.

When you say "patch that has 14:2 mixer with alligators and other RE in it for inserts"... did you really mean inserts, or did you mean sends? In other words, it sounds like the "alligators and other RE" are being used as sends on the 14:2. Is that what you meant?
hello househoppin09 yes sorry for that i do mean sends/returns, sorry. i cannot find the video just yet i thought it was bookmark :oops: i will keep looking. if i can try to describe the technique again it was using control room out to monitor just the return FX on SSL and then using that control room out (i think i am pretty sure that was it) into the sample in and record just the returns not the original sample.

thank you for looking at my post :thumbs_up:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2017

MitchClark89 wrote:...
If I'm understanding correctly, rather than returning the sends back to the same 14:2 mixer, send then back to a new 14:2 mixer and then take the output from that to the sample in.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (244.85 KiB) Viewed 1485 times

MitchClark89

30 Mar 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
MitchClark89 wrote:...
If I'm understanding correctly, rather than returning the sends back to the same 14:2 mixer, send then back to a new 14:2 mixer and then take the output from that to the sample in.
thank you for trying to help carlypoohbear. i can now post the pic of the rack, this is it:

i would like to just sample the return fx without the original sample as well :?:

househoppin09

30 Mar 2017

Run all of the FX return signals (i.e., the outputs of the FX units themselves) into Spider Audio Splitters. Then, from each of those splitters, one branch goes back into the 14:2 mixer returns, and another goes into the channel inputs of a new 6:2 or 14:2 mixer. Adjust the channel levels on the new mixer to match the FX return knob levels on the original mixer, and then run the output of the new mixer to the sampling inputs. (If you haven't touched the FX return level knobs on the original 14:2, you can even use a Spider Audio Merger instead of a new mixer, to keep it super simple.) That gives you exactly what you want, right? If not, can you explain how it differs from what you're asking for?

MitchClark89

30 Mar 2017

househoppin09 wrote:Run all of the FX return signals (i.e., the outputs of the FX units themselves) into Spider Audio Splitters. Then, from each of those splitters, one branch goes back into the 14:2 mixer returns, and another goes into the channel inputs of a new 6:2 or 14:2 mixer. Adjust the channel levels on the new mixer to match the FX return knob levels on the original mixer, and then run the output of the new mixer to the sampling inputs. (If you haven't touched the FX return level knobs on the original 14:2, you can even use a Spider Audio Merger instead of a new mixer, to keep it super simple.) That gives you exactly what you want, right? If not, can you explain how it differs from what you're asking for?
i am excited to try this! thank you househoppin i do appreicate this alot. i always try to get what i want with my own experimentation but i lack the knowing of how all the intricates work esp on the back of rack. i really appreciate this and i will try it and let you know asap :P

Raveshaper

30 Mar 2017

Remember that you can send the final output of these fx to a mix channel and then turn on the rec source button in the rack view version of the vu meter to capture the output to audio track. You just have to choose the fx mix channel's output as the audio track input.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

MitchClark89

30 Mar 2017

househoppin09 wrote:Run all of the FX return signals (i.e., the outputs of the FX units themselves) into Spider Audio Splitters. Then, from each of those splitters, one branch goes back into the 14:2 mixer returns, and another goes into the channel inputs of a new 6:2 or 14:2 mixer. Adjust the channel levels on the new mixer to match the FX return knob levels on the original mixer, and then run the output of the new mixer to the sampling inputs. (If you haven't touched the FX return level knobs on the original 14:2, you can even use a Spider Audio Merger instead of a new mixer, to keep it super simple.) That gives you exactly what you want, right? If not, can you explain how it differs from what you're asking for?
hi househoppin i just want to report back to you that yes! your advice worked perfectly for me and did the job that i exactly wanted :D :puf_bigsmile: thank you very much for the help!

MC

MitchClark89

30 Mar 2017

Raveshaper wrote:Remember that you can send the final output of these fx to a mix channel and then turn on the rec source button in the rack view version of the vu meter to capture the output to audio track. You just have to choose the fx mix channel's output as the audio track input.
hi raveshaper this sounds like an easier way but as i still learning the processes i did the other way and it worked very well but was a bit more work to setup (not really hard). i am interested to try your method and i will do so quite soon. thank you for the help :redface:

Oquasec

30 Mar 2017

That's called either stemming or record source function.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

househoppin09

30 Mar 2017

Glad to hear you got it working. :thumbs_up: Yes, if you want to sample directly into a new audio track in the sequencer, use the Rec Source method instead of the sampling inputs, as Raveshaper suggested. It won't save you much work, though, as you'll still need all those Spider Audio Splitters, and instead of just a single new mixer to combine the FX signals, you'll need a separate new mix channel for each FX signal. So it actually involves more devices, plus it will be harder to match the relative levels of the new mix channels to the FX return level knobs on the original 14:2 mixer, due to there being no easy way to translate units of 0-127 to the much higher-resolution dB scale that the mix channel faders use. What you could do instead, if you want to go the Rec Source route, is follow the same method I described earlier, except instead of running the output of the new mixer into the sampling inputs, run it into a new mix channel. Then, you can just use the Rec Source from that new mix channel. Of course, you'll also need to remember to keep the new mix channel muted when you're not recording from it, or else it will always be feeding extra copies of those FX signals into your mix!

• Information