Is Reason as clean as Record was (A Myth)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deepndark

30 Mar 2017

All my R & R combos sound cleaner to me, but Reason 6 brought back the ugly sound. NO? Ok, sorry.
EDIT, this is my personal myth.

esselfortium

30 Mar 2017

What on earth?
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

deepndark

30 Mar 2017

esselfortium wrote:What on earth?
Propably just a myth that isn't true. The answer to my cleaner sound can rely on some other reason. Like having a limited set of tools that I learned to use well. Then the Rack Extension show started and I lost my focus.

esselfortium

30 Mar 2017

At this point why not just use another DAW that helps you get results you like better?
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

EnochLight

30 Mar 2017

deepndark wrote:All my R & R combos sound cleaner to me, but Reason 6 brought back the ugly sound. NO? Ok, sorry.
Myths are funny things. Some people believe the myth that the Earth is only 6000 years old, and that people and dinosaurs lived side by side. Thankfully, belief alone does not make things real.

On a serious note: WHAT? Not another Reason "sound quality" thread... :thumbs_down: :roll: :mrgreen: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

deepndark

30 Mar 2017

esselfortium wrote:At this point why not just use another DAW that helps you get results you like better?
Because I can't be arsed to learn a new DAW and because my respect is a lot more bigger about Reason than unrespect. :D

deepndark

30 Mar 2017

EnochLight wrote:
deepndark wrote:All my R & R combos sound cleaner to me, but Reason 6 brought back the ugly sound. NO? Ok, sorry.
Myths are funny things. Some people believe the myth that the Earth is only 6000 years old, and that people and dinosaurs lived side by side. Thankfully, belief alone does not make things real.

On a serious note: WHAT? Not another Reason "sound quality" thread... :thumbs_down: :roll: :mrgreen: :lol:
How can you prove the earth isn't 6000 years old? Maybe the dinosaurus's were also created by God as fossils? :puf_wink:

Oquasec

30 Mar 2017

Dude, learning another daw after using reason or fl studio would take a few weeks.

That's how much of a jump in complexity reason is from most other daws that aren't usine hollyhock.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EnochLight

30 Mar 2017

deepndark wrote:How can you prove the earth isn't 6000 years old? Maybe the dinosaurus's were also created by God as fossils? :puf_wink:
If you're being serious, I feel you're about to derail your own thread. ;) :D But to address your question: I don't need to. Science has done all the work for me. ;) :puf_wink:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Oquasec

30 Mar 2017

record was put into reason after 5.
Producer/Programmer.

deepndark

30 Mar 2017

EnochLight wrote:
deepndark wrote:How can you prove the earth isn't 6000 years old? Maybe the dinosaurus's were also created by God as fossils? :puf_wink:
If you're being serious, I feel you're about to derail your own thread. ;) :D But to address your question: I don't need to. Science has done all the work for me. ;) :puf_wink:
No, I was kidding, I'm Agnostic not a Christian. :redface:

deepndark

30 Mar 2017

Oquasec wrote:Dude, learning another daw after using reason or fl studio would take a few weeks.

That's how much of a jump in complexity reason is from most other daws that aren't usine hollyhock.
Why do you suggest using something else?

Oquasec

30 Mar 2017

Because you never know what else you'd enjoy.
Reason was my third daw.
Producer/Programmer.

chimp_spanner

30 Mar 2017

There's no plausible reason why one should sound different to the other, and I think it's been reasonably well established that Reason will spit out exactly what you put in (as in, there's no inherent "sound"). The only thing that's different is the SSL, and if you believe that's the source of the colouration, bypass it and just use the old 14:2 mixer plugged directly into the hardware interface.

But I think it's pretty safe to say there's no good reason to believe that Reason + Record sounded better than Reason. To the best of my knowledge Props didn't majorly change the audio engine code between version 5/6 and 9. Of course if I'm wrong, someone can correct me - maybe they did with the 64-bit stuff? So I could be wrong there. All I know is I have no issues with Reason's sound when compared to Cubase 9. In fact I greatly prefer it, which is why I don't use Cubase any more. So go figure!

deepndark

30 Mar 2017

Oquasec wrote:Because you never know what else you'd enjoy.
Reason was my third daw.
I used Fruity Loops 3 before Reason 2.0.
I also have used Cubase VST32, a bit Ableton Live and Reaper for mastering purpose. And even some really old programs like Orchestra that came with AWE64 soundcard back in the 90's. I think I have a splitted personality a bit and that's why I can't stay being the wise one all the time. Ha!

So what have YOU used and have you ever thought of Reason sound? I have and I don't know how to STOP it, help! LOL: :puf_bigsmile: :oops: :oops:

deepndark

30 Mar 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:There's no plausible reason why one should sound different to the other, and I think it's been reasonably well established that Reason will spit out exactly what you put in (as in, there's no inherent "sound"). The only thing that's different is the SSL, and if you believe that's the source of the colouration, bypass it and just use the old 14:2 mixer plugged directly into the hardware interface.

But I think it's pretty safe to say there's no good reason to believe that Reason + Record sounded better than Reason. To the best of my knowledge Props didn't majorly change the audio engine code between version 5/6 and 9. Of course if I'm wrong, someone can correct me - maybe they did with the 64-bit stuff? So I could be wrong there. All I know is I have no issues with Reason's sound when compared to Cubase 9. In fact I greatly prefer it, which is why I don't use Cubase any more. So go figure!
Cool one, yeah well I am an unstable person mentally - I have a schizophrenia. This is the biggest reason for anti-fanboyism every now and then. Sorry Props - sorry everyone.

Oquasec

30 Mar 2017

My start was mixcraft, fl studio then reason [studio one as #4]
Not sure what version of mixcraft in 2008 [never made any tracks in it til lway after]
2010 decided to be a hobby prod cuz fl studio 9xxl was good. [Warbeats]
Then found reason 5, as like well this is fun as fuck.

Studio one's also good.
Last edited by Oquasec on 30 Mar 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.

chimp_spanner

30 Mar 2017

deepndark wrote:
Oquasec wrote:Because you never know what else you'd enjoy.
Reason was my third daw.
I used Fruity Loops 3 before Reason 2.0.
I also have used Cubase VST32, a bit Ableton Live and Reaper for mastering purpose. And even some really old programs like Orchestra that came with AWE64 soundcard back in the 90's. I think I have a splitted personality a bit and that's why I can't stay being the wise one all the time. Ha!

So what have YOU used and have you ever thought of Reason sound? I have and I don't know how to STOP it, help! LOL: :puf_bigsmile: :oops: :oops:
One really good (and obvious) bit of advice is to just keep it simple man. I've started doing this myself. Keeping the track count low, avoiding having too many instruments sharing the same space, or the same role. Keeping the use of effects to a minimum, using one reverb send instead of five different reverbs for example. Avoiding lots of similar effects with varying modulation rates, etc. etc. It also makes my mix easier to tweak if something isn't right. With the exception of huge scoring projects I have a hard time understanding why songs should cross into the dozens or in some rare cases, hundreds of tracks when a smaller number of well crafted sounds would achieve the same result.

Do you have anything recorded that I could hear? Maybe I could help :)

Oquasec

30 Mar 2017

I just keep doing stuff the regular way of putting effect modules inside the mixer module.
Annd I just stack effect modules and route them that way for tidyness/real estate :P
Last edited by Oquasec on 30 Mar 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.

deepndark

30 Mar 2017

I'm just mastering my old ish (again) and this one is an old tune with my latest mixing/mastering skills:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2017

EnochLight wrote: Myths are funny things. Some people believe the myth that the Earth is only 6000 years old, and that people and dinosaurs lived side by side. Thankfully, belief alone does not make things real.
Next thing you will be saying is that Jurassic Park is not real :o ;)

chk071

30 Mar 2017

deepndark wrote:I'm just mastering my old ish (again) and this one is an old tune with my latest mixing/mastering skills:
Hey, that's not bad at all. Wonder why you're complaining really. :) Neat production too, even though it could do with a bit more punch, and "loudness", but, minor concern.
:reason: :rebirth:

deepndark

30 Mar 2017

chk071 wrote:
deepndark wrote:I'm just mastering my old ish (again) and this one is an old tune with my latest mixing/mastering skills:
Hey, that's not bad at all. Wonder why you're complaining really. :) Neat production too, even though it could do with a bit more punch, and "loudness", but, minor concern.
Hey, Danke bro... About loudness: I already brickwall at least +3db, not sure how to get more loudness.

chk071

30 Mar 2017

TBH, i'm pretty much the total newb when it gets to mixing and mastering. I feel like it might do with a bit more compression (or some EQ'ing, so it gets a bit more clarity?). I could be wrong though. Already sounds pretty good.
:reason: :rebirth:

deepndark

30 Mar 2017

A bit newer tune from 2016. Just my try to make EDM.

chk071: I think the mastering engineer should do the rest, as I don't know how to improve it anymore.

• Information