CAN REASON SYNTHS DO THIS???

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
samsome

05 Apr 2017

the synths on this song are way too clear...

I have no idea how they can do that

Please tell me, can Reason synths do that? I am new to reason and its synths..
Not sound close......close is not enough, can they sound as clear as that?

I need an answer from someone with lots of experience who is sure if that can be done or not.

thank you

Oquasec

05 Apr 2017

can other daws do that with their stock plugs?
can reason do that with the prop plugs?
the answer is yes, depending on what the soundsource is what the plugin type, configuration etc.

for reason it'd be [billion times said]
rewire
rex
remote[emi/midi ox]
rack extensions.
refills.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

samsome

05 Apr 2017

so i need to do all this
rewire
rex
remote[emi/midi ox]
rack extensions.
refills.

to get the sound quality of that song?

for example, can thor (by itself) reproduce that whole song and sound as clear as that?

Oquasec

05 Apr 2017

Nope. [trollish question isn't this]
It's a matter of do you even know what reason has? :ugeek:
Producer/Programmer.

mayzon

05 Apr 2017

Of course it can? I don't understand why you would think Reason couldn't?

Oquasec

05 Apr 2017

yep.
options for other daws usually fall into:
vst.
rewire.
aax.
Producer/Programmer.

Ostermilk

05 Apr 2017

No.

So just go buy the synth. There'll be another one along soon for you to collect when you get bored of it.

What's with the all caps btw? Was that for bringing emphasis to some childish outburst or something?

If you're serious about the music you want to make then just make sure you've got the gear you need to make it. If you need a VST host then get one some are very inexpensive, then you wont have to worry about the boy in next-doors back yard having a bigger ice cream than you.

demt

05 Apr 2017

They used to use. The bass and treble control now theirs 20 different codecs like superbrillance etc that come with the average radio DAC etc just put. The mix through won of those. Like even if you've mixed it sum will listen to what effectily is a remix of what in this case is plenty of treble and gain
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Loque

05 Apr 2017

Does this synth produces the song when i press a button? I want to publish exactly the same.
Reason12, Win10

PSoames

05 Apr 2017

Are you sure this wasn't made using Reason?

Could of sworn I heard the, "Reason Sound", at 3:45.

Karim
Competition Winner

05 Apr 2017

Loque wrote:Does this synth produces the song when i press a button? I want to publish exactly the same.
Ahahahahahha good that one! [emoji3]

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

chimp_spanner

05 Apr 2017

This thread can only end well :lol:

Sure! This sound is nothing particularly special. I don't even think it's particularly nice IMO but each to their own. Can you do it with JUST a Thor? I mean...probably not. But I doubt they're just using naked sounds here. Reason has all kinds of maximisers, exciters and effects. They're there to be used!!

I'm noticing a trend around here witn people asking if Reason can sound good with like, zero effort. Well that ain't what producing is about! Maybe there are DAWs out there with flashy presets but you'll sound like everyone else using the same presets. You can make almost any sound in Reason if you're willing to put in like...a few minutes of sound design. There are no shortcuts to good music.

I highly recommend Ryan's tutorial videos on the PH YouTube channel if you wanna learn more about getting the most out of Reason.

samsome

05 Apr 2017

Ostermilk wrote: then you wont have to worry about the boy in next-doors back yard having a bigger ice cream than you.

hahaha :D

Exowildebeest

05 Apr 2017

Sadly, yes, Reason can do that.

chk071

05 Apr 2017

I agree that the clarity in the production is rather... well, a production thing. BUT, i think Sylenth1, or Spire (or also Massive) are simply killer for these kind of sounds, and have a punch, presence, and ability to cut through the mix (yes, a much used cliché), that many synths, including the Reason stock synths, simply don't have, thus make it easy to produce such sounds. Yes, you can also do such sounds with other synths, but, it simply won't the same, and you'd have to work, work, work. And some pluck sounds, which use a lot of filter envelope, and short decay time are simply, sorry, not to replicate with synths which have a lame envelope response, and are not plucky, and snappy at all. On KVR, i also often read the "use whatever synth you like, they'll all do" argument, but, nah, it's just not like that. For example, Moog synths are well known to be absolute bass beasts, and punchy and chunky as hell, hence they've gotten a lot of use for such sounds in the past. I've recently watched a bass comparison video between a Moog Sub 37, and a Prophet 6, and, soz, the Moog was just fatter, juicier, and more pleasant in its filter sound for every single of the sound the guy made. You can't just substitute quality with lower quality, it's not possible. If it's good enough for you, fine, but, don't expect it to be good enough for the other guy too.

Not to be rude or something, but, i'm really growing tired of the "just use what you have attitude". It's like saying that all the great electronic music producers in the history are noobs, because they couldn't get the great sound they produced from others synths than the Moog's, Oberheim's, Waldorf or Access synths, or whatever they have used. Without spending a thought on why all the "big" brands in the business were used, and why those are so big. It's like saying that you can just buy a 10 € guitar from a pawn shop, and, alongside the 10 € mic to record, it can get you on top of the music business. No, not really.
Last edited by chk071 on 05 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: :rebirth:

ravisoni

05 Apr 2017

If this isn't a troll question, and if samsone truly wanted to know if it was possible, y'all just made him run far, far away from reason, tail tucked between legs'n'all.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

chimp_spanner

05 Apr 2017

Okay deleted my last post as it was kinda ranty - maybe the best way for me to help, rather than lecturing and being grumpy is to actually have a crack at some of the sounds in here. I have screencap software, and no real work to do tonight. Could be fun right?

Meantime there's a guy - I think he's danish - and he posted an amazing video on how to get some sick EDM and Trance plucks using only Subtractor and a bit of phase modulation. Maybe if someone knows what I'm talking about they can share it?

Oquasec

05 Apr 2017

for most things it's best to read, read read read read read.
didn't always have 60mbps internet.
Producer/Programmer.

Noplan
Competition Winner

05 Apr 2017

Reason can't do it. Sorry. :(

chk071

05 Apr 2017

Lol. :D

@ chimp_spanner: Mind if we modify the challenge a bit? If you can replicate the "liquid", juicy, and squelchy resonant sound at the start of the audio clip with the Reason stock synths, i'd really like to hear it:

I think it's fair enough, as it's also a soft synth.

After that, if you have the time, and fancy, you could try to replicate the first 3 sounds in this video:

Again, a VA synth, so, should be fair enough.

BTW, it would be nice also if you could do that in a reasonable amount of time, and also without the use of much effects, or EQ'ing, as the sound in the demos also seem to be reasonable dry, except for a bit of reverb and delay (i think).

siln

05 Apr 2017

samsome wrote:

the synths on this song are way too clear...

I have no idea how they can do that

Please tell me, can Reason synths do that? I am new to reason and its synths..
Not sound close......close is not enough, can they sound as clear as that?

I need an answer from someone with lots of experience who is sure if that can be done or not.

thank you
these tutorials should be a good start

from there youtube suggestions are countless
then you have to adjust some pitch automation and what not
make it stereo wide

:thumbs_up:

Oquasec

05 Apr 2017

The manual and propellerhead's videos are the foundation you are seeking to be comfy in reason.
Then you can branch out into custom territory.
Producer/Programmer.

chimp_spanner

05 Apr 2017

chk071 wrote:Lol. :D

@ chimp_spanner: Mind if we modify the challenge a bit? If you can replicate the "liquid", juicy, and squelchy resonant sound at the start of the audio clip with the Reason stock synths, i'd really like to hear it:

I think it's fair enough, as it's also a soft synth.

After that, if you have the time, and fancy, you could try to replicate the first 3 sounds in this video:

Again, a VA synth, so, should be fair enough.

BTW, it would be nice also if you could do that in a reasonable amount of time, and also without the use of much effects, or EQ'ing, as the sound in the demos also seem to be reasonable dry, except for a bit of reverb and delay (i think).
I mean, I'm down for the challenge of course - but what is/isn't possible this way isn't really an indictment of Reason's abilities any more than it would be of Cubase or Logic using only stock plugins. I mean I don't know if you're a Cubase user at all, but Retrologue really isn't great. In fact we're positively spoilt having Thor as a stock synth by comparison. So yeah I mean don't get me wrong, I think it's fun to try and get the best sound possible without relying on REs but it's also a strange criteria that seems to be levelled at Reason more than other DAWs that are basically nothing without the likes of Sylenth or Serum or Massive. Anyway, was watching a documentary on The Amazing Randi so I'll see what I come up with. Either tonight or tomorrow!

Oquasec

05 Apr 2017

Reason is being compared to thirdparty plugins and it's a daw. It has won already.
Producer/Programmer.

chk071

05 Apr 2017

I am a Cubase user, and, yeah, i totally agree, Retrologue isn't that great really. I guess the point i was trying to make is that it might not be that easy to "just use the stock synth, because they will do it for you". I must say though that the comparison might not be THAT fair, because Reason was stock devices only for a long time, unlike Cubase, and any other VST host, so i would say it is fair enough to expect a bit more from the stock devices, because it's all people had all these years, and it's all that people have when they buy Reason (and it's the whole approach of Reason, isn't it?). What i'm trying to say too, i guess, is that there's really damn good stuff out there, in form of VST's, or hardware synths like the Virus, or Waldorf's devices, and, frankly, Reason's synths are a bit long in the tooth now. And if they were all so suited for the kind of music posted as an example in the OP, then everyone in those genres would be using Reason actually.

• Information